Chris Yarran

King Kong

Tiger Superstar
Aug 26, 2016
The Big Richo said:
Fair bit of gilding the lily goes on.

Dustin wasn't even in the TAC system until Jamie Elliott, who was coaching Castlemaine at the time, rang the Bendigo Pioneers and had a crack at them for not having him on their list. He then played the last four games of 07 and all of 08. I'd say it is highly likely Frank Jackson had never heard of him until 2008.

As an aside, no one from Richmond ever had a single conversation with anyone from the Pioneers about Dustin.
The last bit is no surprise. Turner from the Falcons used to say the same about our recruiting team. Our team operated in a confidential manner which given the number of loose lips in footy clubs is a good approach.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The Big Richo said:
As an aside, no one from Richmond ever had a single conversation with anyone from the Pioneers about Dustin.
Why would Richmond need to speak to anyone at the Pioneers?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Get out Gillon
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
King Kong said:
The last bit is no surprise. Turner from the Falcons used to say the same about our recruiting team. Our team operated in a confidential manner which given the number of loose lips in footy clubs is a good approach.
Pretty sure Turner had a crack at us for being the only club not to enquire about Cunnington, same draft as Martin.

The_General

Brain washing the kids, one stuffed toy at a time
May 4, 2004
The Big Richo said:
From my memory Scully and Trengove were considered the stand out 1 and 2.
We used to have a member of these boards who worked as an AFL recruiter several years ago. I recall him saying way before the draft, we were into Dusty big time and there's no way we'd pass him up. I didn't beileve him and said Scully and Trengove were the 2 best and we'd take them (we hadn't played Melbourne yet - fkrkedg Jordie McMahon!). He said wait and see.

Sydney were talking to us a long way from the trade period to get our pick, as they wanted Dusty at the time too.

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
jb03 said:
Why would Richmond need to speak to anyone at the Pioneers?
I reckon it would be usual practice to talk about a prospective draftee with his under 18 club.

The_General said:
Sydney were talking to us a long way from the trade period to get our pick, as they wanted Dusty at the time too.
Yeah Sydney wanted him to join their academy badly, they chased him for two years trying to get him to move back to Sydney.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The Big Richo said:
I reckon it would be usual practice to talk about a prospective draftee with his under 18 club.
Not really. Under 18 coaches, footy managers and the like are way to biased to discuss their players with. Michael Turner for example thinks every Geelong Falcons player is a champion in the making

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
jb03 said:
Not really. Under 18 coaches, footy managers and the like are way to biased to discuss their players with. Michael Turner for example thinks every Geelong Falcons player is a champion in the making
Been some fairly handy Falcons players drafted over the years. I believe there's been some issues between our recruiters n Turner dating back quite a while so we virtually have nothing to do with him, but it also seems to be a rare event that we go anywhere the Falcons players at draft time, dunno why.

TT33

GO TIGES!!!
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
TigerMasochist said:
Been some fairly handy Falcons players drafted over the years. I believe there's been some issues between our recruiters n Turner dating back quite a while so we virtually have nothing to do with him, but it also seems to be a rare event that we go anywhere the Falcons players at draft time, dunno why.

I think Turners issues with the Tigers go back to his playing days, he has never liked us & it has coloured his dealings with us as a result.
I think our recruiters are professional enough to not let Turner interfere with them doing their job properly.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Get out Gillon
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
TT33 said:
I think Turners issues with the Tigers go back to his playing days, he has never liked us & it has coloured his dealings with us as a result.
I think our recruiters are professional enough to not let Turner interfere with them doing their job properly.
If the urban legend of the car window was raised, would he even have a job?