Christianity | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Christianity

Jools

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2004
Hoppers Crossing
jayfox said:
Ok, I am very much in the minority here but here goes -
I am a committed, Bible believing Christian. Now in many ways me saying that is like Tuby coming out except that I dont expect to receive the commendations that he is receiving for his way of life, rather quite the opposite. Although I am a Christian I still enjoy basically everything in life, like a beer for example, as much as the next bloke, much like Tuby. I can honestly say that it really doesn't change my way of living that much from non-christians except that I will try to avoid any actions that I believe God considers wrong or sinful. Having said that it clearly says in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin, therefore I can't condone Tuby's actions. This doesn't make me think any less of him, rather, it makes me feel more compassion towards him. It took courage for him to come out here and admit it. I believe in loving the sinner, not the sin. I should also make it extremely clear that I am absolutely miles away from being perfect. No person in the world is perfect and that's why we need a saviour. What I believe is that I am not perfect, just forgiven. And the only way to receive forgiveness, and eternal life, is if you belive that Jesus is God's son, who died on the cross and rose again on the third day to save us from our sins.
Tuby, you said that you can't help the way you were born, well I believe that everyone gets tempted to do things that they shouldn't, and it's just whether you act on those temptations or not. I get tempted every day and sometimes I fail and sometimes I don't but the wonderful assurance I have is that if I am truly sorry I am forgiven no matter what I have done. This assurance is open for anyone who chooses to put their faith in Christ.
Phillip Yancey is a great author who once wrote "There is nothing you can do to make God love you more. There is nothing you can do to make God love you less".

It can be difficult to openly state your convictions jayfox, so kudos for that, and for anyone prepared to state their convictions, as long as they are not personal attacks or what is generally considered offensive or rascist. This is a forum for debates of all kinds. You shouldn't assume you're in a minority though.

I generally try and live my life according to the Bible also, though I don't take everything literally. I'm not going to go around taking an eye for an eye, or cutting off my hands or plucking out my eye if they offend me.  ;)

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003
Jools said:
jayfox said:
Ok, I am very much in the minority here but here goes -
I am a committed, Bible believing Christian. Now in many ways me saying that is like Tuby coming out except that I dont expect to receive the commendations that he is receiving for his way of life, rather quite the opposite. Although I am a Christian I still enjoy basically everything in life, like a beer for example, as much as the next bloke, much like Tuby. I can honestly say that it really doesn't change my way of living that much from non-christians except that I will try to avoid any actions that I believe God considers wrong or sinful. Having said that it clearly says in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin, therefore I can't condone Tuby's actions. This doesn't make me think any less of him, rather, it makes me feel more compassion towards him. It took courage for him to come out here and admit it. I believe in loving the sinner, not the sin. I should also make it extremely clear that I am absolutely miles away from being perfect. No person in the world is perfect and that's why we need a saviour. What I believe is that I am not perfect, just forgiven. And the only way to receive forgiveness, and eternal life, is if you belive that Jesus is God's son, who died on the cross and rose again on the third day to save us from our sins.
Tuby, you said that you can't help the way you were born, well I believe that everyone gets tempted to do things that they shouldn't, and it's just whether you act on those temptations or not. I get tempted every day and sometimes I fail and sometimes I don't but the wonderful assurance I have is that if I am truly sorry I am forgiven no matter what I have done. This assurance is open for anyone who chooses to put their faith in Christ.
Phillip Yancey is a great author who once wrote "There is nothing you can do to make God love you more. There is nothing you can do to make God love you less".

It can be difficult to openly state your convictions jayfox, so kudos for that, and for anyone prepared to state their convictions, as long as they are not personal attacks or what is generally considered offensive or rascist. This is a forum for debates of all kinds. You shouldn't assume you're in a minority though.

I generally try and live my life according to the Bible also, though I don't take everything literally. I'm not going to go around taking an eye for an eye, or cutting off my hands or plucking out my eye if they offend me.  ;)

Cheers Jewels. It's nice to see I'm not alone.  Yes, the examples that you have used there are primarily Old Testament  metaphors and there is no doubt that sections of the Bible can be confusing but the overall message is an incredible one. Can you imagine how much better the world would be now if all people followed the examples set in the Bible.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
The above two posts have been split from Tuby's thread asking for opinions about a different matter.

Although they do tie in they could easily lead the thread in an entirely different direction and.

I thought it better to have separate threads for the two topics of conversation to be discussed.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
I am of no religion and am fine with that.  I believe with life after death, but I don't believe in Jesus or God.

I have no problem with peoples race, religion or sexual preference, as I tend to have more of a problem with peoples actions rather than their make-up/fabric...

For example, if someone chooses to be a Christian, or is a Jew, Muslim etc, I have no problem with that.  I do however have a problem with people who try to force their beliefs onto me.  I respect their choices, and they should respect mine.

I also dont have a problem with Homosexuals.  They can be the nicest people and lets be honest, most of the time you wouldn't even know.  Having said that though, I would be extremely uncomfortable if a guy cracked onto me, although I could totally understand why..   :hihi :hihi

To me the Bible is a story of fiction.  That is all.  That is my choice of opinion as you are entiltled to yours.  The world would not neccesarily run better if everyone lived by the bible.  Good morals and a healthy upbringing in my opinion are most important, and I think I have turned out just fine having never even held a bible.

Anyway, the biggest quote I believe in is "Each to their own"  

P.S.  I tell a white lie..  My religion is Richmond football Club

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Balmy, I agree with you. I am a spiritual person for sure but have a very hard time accepting 'religion', especially as it has caused extraordinary pain and suffering throughout history.

Jools and Jayfox (and others that believe the word of the bible), how do you feel about the contradictions and discrepancies strewn throughout the bible? Do they cause you to waiver in your belief or are you able to ignore them and concentrate on your perception of the overall message?

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
My Mom still thinks im an angel.Thats about as close as i.ll get to christianity as i.ll get :devilangel :devilangel :devilangel :rofl :rofl :rofl

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I was watching Seinfeld the other week and George decided he was gonna change religion. I was thinking of doing the same. Can anyone recommend a religion ?

Buddhism looks good to me, but I dunno if I like the idea of having to sit cross-legged all the time. Those seats at the MCG aren’t the biggest, so it might become a problem.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Nice question Disco 8.  I dont know enough about the bible or different beiliefs to ask something like that, but I do know that Al Quada, and other terrorists are following their reigious beliefs.

cooltiger

Tiger Superstar
Sep 4, 2003
Christianity is not about Religion it about a relationship with Jesus and God
you have to experance it to fully understand what I mean ...that relationship is about love
A Love Supreme as John Coltrane put it
Great post Jayfox :)

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Crusades v Jihad, Inquisitions, Missionaries, Subjugations.

As you can see I'm not a fan of institutionalised religions.

Religion is only an idea, not a belief structure.

When an idea of religion morphs into an enforceable belief that is when most human misery occurs.

My religion is for myself, alone.

feisty tige

Tiger Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Dandenong
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
My Mom still thinks im an angel.Thats about as close as i.ll get to christianity as i.ll get  :devilangel :devilangel :devilangel :rofl :rofl :rofl

Hate to be picky, but are you American Captain?

Mum.

sorry, can't help myself....

TigerNV

ooooh we're from Tigerland ...
Jan 17, 2005
Melbourne
Having baried my mother yesterday I just experienced the most intensely emotional and spiritual
weeks of my life.

One thing that came out that struck me in the week leading to the funeral was the compassion
and kindness people gererate when faced with abversity.

All I know is that mum was here one moment, and the other she was gone. Just like that.

If there is a spirit, it did not stay with her body. I touched her coffin, her body and
I felt no pressence at all. However, when I walk into what was and still is her room and family home
I sence an almighty pressence.

This may just be attributed to my memories and grief, or it may be her spirit and ora.

Whatever it is, I will cherish what I have, treat myself and all people I encounter with
kindness and respect. That is my mantra, my religion, my belief.