Club Statement re Shai | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Club Statement re Shai

I can’t help but think it is a terrible outcome.
The. Club investigated and accepted Rioli and Bolton’s version. Nothing to see here - move on.
AFL says they will investigate. So weeks after the event the AFL exonerate Rioli and find that Bolton exacerbated the situation but no charges laid. Bolton made to apologise and along with the club are made to ‘donate’ (read - fined) for exacerbating a situation (whilst not being found guilty) for the handsome sum of $20,000. This is an absolute joke. Once again made to dance to the AFL’s tune.
Just a question cos I can’t be bothered looking it up - did the AFL,investigate Sidebottom for his indiscretion; or the Bulldogs guy (forget who it was) for his indiscretion?

Reactions: 4 users
The. Club investigated and accepted Rioli and Bolton’s version. Nothing to see here - move on.
AFL says they will investigate. So weeks after the event the AFL exonerate Rioli and find that Bolton exacerbated the situation but no charges laid. Bolton made to apologise and along with the club are made to ‘donate’ (read - fined) for exacerbating a situation (whilst not being found guilty) for the handsome sum of $20,000. This is an absolute joke. Once again made to dance to the AFL’s tune.
Just a question cos I can’t be bothered looking it up - did the AFL,investigate Sidebottom for his indiscretion; or the Bulldogs guy (forget who it was) for his indiscretion?
Don't understand why Shai in being blamed for sticking up for his mate and Rioli's girlfriend.
It is the Australian way to look after your womenfolk and not just scurry away.

Reactions: 1 users

i dont think hawks had to donate 20k to a jpeg compression charity for the enourmous dickpic files patton was firing off?

Reactions: 4 users
This will work to end the issue if the club, Bolton and Rioli refuse to answer anything on this.

If the AFL had a backbone and took notice of the advertising at AFL games they would say something about standing up against harassment of women, they chose not to.

DS
Exactly not one mention of the girl involved.They have ignored it in the past to.

Reactions: 1 user
The RFC witchunt by tge AFL continues. The boys better not throw a chewy wrapper out the window as they drive out of punt rd.

This will work to end the issue if the club, Bolton and Rioli refuse to answer anything on this.

If the AFL had a backbone and took notice of the advertising at AFL games they would say something about standing up against harassment of women, they chose not to.

DS
yep agree. clam up say nothing.
the AFL again miss an opportunity ... they are hypocrites with weird priorities ...

It feel like Bolton has been hard done by out of all this. Involved himself in a physical situation after his teammate and friend was punched and girlfriend assaulted. Gets his wrist broken and misses games (and match payments) for his trouble. Is then (presumably) forced in to a public mea culpa for doing nothing more than what he has been implored to do since the moment he arrived at the RFC, support your teammates.
Yep. Why does he get fined and especially that high when it's got nothing to do with the AFL???? Appeal Shai.

Yep. Why does he get fined and especially that high when it's got nothing to do with the AFL???? Appeal Shai.

Yes I also don’t understand why the AFL have fined him.

They took Eddies word on Sidebottom last year but investigate this to the nth degree - once there are no charges laid the AFL should but out and keep out.

The $20k "donation" is from Bolton and the club so I figure a lot coming from the club, presumably not from the soft cap. I can live with that aspect.

What I can't live with is the way the AFL have been so vocal about how violence is never the answer (even though it was not Rioli or Bolton who started the violence) and completely and utterly silent on the harassment of Rioli's GF. As someone above said, no mention at all of the fact there was a woman involved and all this started with sexual harassment.

The AFL are just so useless.

DS

I wouldve given 20k if Bolton told Gilligan to *smile* himself

I for one would find it very easy and walk away should I see Dil being harassed or assaulted, even though I might be able to make a difference.
This rort continues.

DS
AFL is totally hypocritical and out of touch with reality. Get sucked into politically correct vortex when it suits them.

I'm going to indulge in a bit of educated speculation on what happened here, based on what I've heard and what seems to line up in the media and the timeline.

The altercation happened and the boys notified the club, taking the line that the initial incident was the provocation, Rioli intervened and was assaulted, Bolton came to his aide.

The club naturally had no issue with that and came out in support on Monday afternoon, including Hardwick on AFL 360 that night.

Once the incident was made public though, people who were there inevitably started talking and it quickly came to light that the boys had left a bit off the story, mainly that after the initial incident (which was a comment) and subsequent dust-on, was settled by security, they (largely Bolton) wanted to go on with it to the point where they were the ones asked to leave.

Then after being asked to leave they (again largely Bolton) refused to move on, and made repeated attempts to get back in and demanded access to the other party to fight them.

All of that started to come to light by the next morning, putting Gale in an awkward position on radio, where he didn't want to lie nor admit that the truth wasn't quite what the club was led to believe initially.

The AFL (who investigate all of these things as standard practice anyway), also quickly became aware of this and in conjunction with the RFC have acted to subtly manipulate the situation into a more defendable position under the guise of an 'investigation', and to massage the media into not going into it any further.
Thats what I heard as well. Dust had settled but Shai wanted to go on with it after leaving the nightclub.

RFC released another statement in regard to Shai Bolton this evening
Club CEO Brendan Gale has been quoted as saying
“ *smile* me, Shai Bolton is a superstar”

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users