Coaches votes- 2013 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coaches votes- 2013

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
14,926
6,304
Carlton vs Richmond
10 Cotchin (Rich)
6 Gibbs (Carl)
4 Jackson (Rich)
4 Tuck (Rich)
2 Vickery (Rich)
2 Walker (Carl)
1 Deledio (Rich)
1 Judd (Carl)

http://aflca.com.au/index.php?id=14&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1095&tx_ttnews[backPid]=9&cHash=43d9c15327
 

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
39,281
14,987
Brodders17 said:
Carlton vs Richmond
10 Cotchin (Rich)
6 Gibbs (Carl)
4 Jackson (Rich)
4 Tuck (Rich)
2 Vickery (Rich)
2 Walker (Carl)
1 Deledio (Rich)
1 Judd (Carl)

http://aflca.com.au/index.php?id=14&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1095&tx_ttnews[backPid]=9&cHash=43d9c15327

Judd was easily 2nd best on ground. He brought them back into the game
 

BrisTiger24

Chimp's Love of the Tiger
Oct 16, 2003
14,112
4,845
Brisbane
zippadeee said:
Judd was easily 2nd best on ground. He brought them back into the game

Agree. Lids in the first half and Judd in the second half were instrumental in their respecting teams' dominance.
 

arlobill

Tiger Champion
May 6, 2008
4,737
790
agree with that ... tho judge was blown away in the first half he had a brilliant couple of patches in the second
 

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
54,347
9
I guess we don't know the roles players have out there or how well they performed a specific task. I respect the coaches to have a far more informed opinion than I would but I'd really like to know why Lids didn't rate higher.
 

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
7,705
2
rosy3/23 said:
I guess we don't know the roles players have out there or how well they performed a specific task. I respect the coaches to have a far more informed opinion than I would but I'd really like to know why Lids didn't rate higher.

Possibly because he went missing in the last quarter and hardly touched it.
 

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
20,115
3,875
Lids was excellent in the first 3 qtrs but didn't get near it to help us withstand Carlton's surge at us in the last.

Coaches have marked him (perhaps harshly) for his efforts when the game was on the line.

They are pretty close to right. Chimp was a clear BOG & Gibbs Carlton's best. Lids & Judd probably a touch stiff.
 

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
54,347
9
Punxsutawney Phil said:
Possibly because he went missing in the last quarter and hardly touched it.

Maybe but he had a lot to do with us having such a good lead. There's more to a game than the last quarter. Lids kicked inspirational goals. His run, bounce and goal from outside 50 was Knighteresque. He made almost every possession count. I didn't think there was such a gulf between him and Cotch taking into account Cotch's 48% effectiveness and several clangers...and not always under pressure I reckon they were both great. I'd like to know why the coaches saw such a difference in the 2 performances.

Edit- You've lectured me a fair bit on Jacko's role Leysy. What was it this week and how do you think he performed it?
 

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
1,629
557
Hobart
Interesting how each coach viewed the performances.

Clearly both voted Cotch BOG - 5 votes each
One thought Jackson second best, the other Tuck.
Both thought Gibbs third best
One thought Vickery fourth, the other Walker.
And one each for Lids and Judd.

Can't see how they could have voted any other way to get the numbers to stack up.

The interesting part I thought was the split for second best on ground and the other coach not giving a single vote for the respective pick.
 

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
20,115
3,875
rosy3/23 said:
Maybe but he had a lot to do with us having such a good lead. There's more to a game than the last quarter. Lids kicked inspirational goals. His run, bounce and goal from outside 50 was Knighteresque. He made almost every possession count. I didn't think there was such a gulf between him and Cotch taking into account Cotch's 48% effectiveness and several clangers...and not always under pressure I reckon they were both great. I'd like to know why the coaches saw such a difference in the 2 performances.

Edit- You've lectured me a fair bit on Jacko's role Leysy. What was it this week and how do you think he performed it?

Thought he played well actually. One of his best games as a tiger, credit where it is due.

The big challenge now is for him to keep it up. History says he'll fall back into old habits, but hopefully he bucks that trend.
 

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
9,582
3,102
Melbourne
That's exactly it, Rob. There is no other combination that will fit.

It is about right, although I think both coaches have judged Deledio and Judd fairly harshly. Deledio set up the game and the the two traded blows in the third before Judd led the comeback. The coaches, being the hard taskmasters that they are, were not impressed with Deledio's useless last quarter and Judd's equally poor first half.

Personally, I thought Cotchin was our best and Gibbs was their's, whilst Deledio was outstanding until the last break. Jacko, Tuck, Vickery, Reiwoldt, Rance, Chaplin and Conca were all excellent on the night.
 

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
10,698
0
I bring this up reluctantly because I know it’s a controversial issue, but I’m actually surprised how many votes Jacko got. His defensive work must have been better than I realised.
 

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
39,281
14,987
For lids it pays to play better in the 2nd half when it's still fresh in the coaches head.
He was brilliant in the 1st half
 

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
7,705
2
Good thing was that Lids in his post match interview with Richo acknowledged he did nothing in the last quarter and needs to improve there.

Was happy to hear that.

He was fantastic in the first 3 quarters, as were many players. But it would have all been for nought if Yarran had have kicked that goal at the death.

As a leader we needed him (along with many others) to step up to stop the Blues charge and unfortunately he didn't.
 

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
11,469
1,502
Really interesting that both coaches thought Gibbs third best on ground when the media generally had him as BOG.

I thought Cotchin was actually down on his normal output, although his defensive and ball winning efforts in the last were exceptional.

The Tuck, Jackon thing is interesting. One coach thought one was pivotal while the other thought they were not top 5.

Wonder who was who?
 

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
1,629
557
Hobart
Punxsutawney Phil said:
As a leader we needed him (along with many others) to step up to stop the Blues charge and unfortunately he didn't.

He stepped up very nicely in the first 3/4's. I can accept a last quarter fade out in round 1 - there is no substitute for match fitness.
 

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
54,347
9
Leysy Days said:
Thought he played well actually. One of his best games as a tiger, credit where it is due.

....

Yep but what was his actual role and why do you think the coaches rated him so highly? I don't profess to know it but you've chosen to question and lecture me on it in the past so I'd like to know how you saw it.
 

PBoRSM

How many kids do I have??
Jun 11, 2004
712
20
rosy3/23 said:
Yep but what was his actual role and why do you think the coaches rated him so highly? I don't profess to know it but you've chosen to question and lecture me on it in the past so I'd like to know how you saw it.

Run with Murphy for a large part and run with Gibbs for a bit and interchange with Tuck as man a kick behind the play for a little while.

He did the first very well, the second only fairly and the third pretty well. Not sure he was 2nd best on ground. I would have ranked him as the 6th-10th most effective player. I reckon Dimma rated Jacko 2nd best on ground because he knew that Murphy was the key. Gibbs and Judd are good, but one's on outside player and the other is getting older. Murphy however is inside, outside, runner and game breaker.

Malthouse thought Tuck's intercept marks stemmed the blues' run and carry through the middle. He was the difference in the 2nd quarter when the game became a shotout.

Only my opinion of course.........
 

spook

Tiger Legend
Jun 18, 2007
18,845
18,660
Melbourne
I noticed in the 2nd quarter when we were winning the centre clearances that Judd was opposed to first Deledio, then Cotchin, then Tuck, as they all won clearances. Not the most accountable footballer of all time. Some get judged on accountability, some don't.
 

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
18,267
4,522
I'm a big fan of Judd's best and usually think he's BOG for Carlton when he's getting no media cred. Because he wins crucial hard ball.

But not round one. He was flogged at the stoppages and won his leather like a Footscray HBF - sagging forward of the contest. He lairised and was dishonest IMO.

For mine, if Tucked had kicked the three he missed (usually would) he'd have given Chimp a nudge for BOG. If I had to guess I'd say Dimma was hard on him for some scrappy finishing and Malthouse was frank about how much Tuck pwned them at the stoppages.

It's a wide divergence between the two coaches except on the two best for each team - Cotchin and Gibbs. Interesting and a bit surprising.