Coaching Panel Farce | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coaching Panel Farce

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Hulmes foot skills at times are deplorable. He reminds me of Kingy - can't kick over a jam jar.

We need quliaty players not more of the same. I think that is what everyone is crying out for. You don't de-list say a King and replace him with another King type. That's stupid

If we are going to look at players at other teams then we need to go for the best on offer/out of contract

Stevens
Power
Murphy
Dal Santo

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
MackTiger said:
It was very interesting to note that most of the coaching staff were not in the box with spud on Saturday night.

Funny I saw Crocker, Spargo and Brittian - they are assistant coaches. Loewe was on the bench as always.

So which coahing staff are we talking about here?

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
tigerman said:
Hulme for Flemming would suit me.
Flemming came from Carlton. I dont see Denis Pagan wanting him back since he delisted him at the end of last season.
I really become he should remain a tiger. He is hard at the ball and shows great determination.

UntamedTiger

Tiger Rookie
Jun 8, 2003
Hey guys, those who say stick with spuds, do think the the gang who brought us the success in the 60's and 70's, (G. Richmond, A. Schwab, Wilson, Hafey, etc) would tolerate the crap that we have and are enduring?

Sometimes you have to rock the boat, after 23 years becalmed, we are sinking.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
UntamedTiger said:
Hey guys, those who say stick with spuds, do think the the gang who brought us the success in the 60's and 70's, (G. Richmond, A. Schwab, Wilson, Hafey, etc) would tolerate the crap that we have and are enduring?

Sometimes you have to rock the boat, after 23 years becalmed, we are sinking.

23 years of becalmed ???

7 confirmed sacked coaches + 1 who "resigned" (read sacked) since our last flag. That doesn't seem very becalmed to me.

The boat's been rocked that many times - that we have run out of life rafts

alleycat

I'm a llama!
Aug 9, 2003
Frankston
stkilda were a rabble to 3years ago but they seem to be finally headed in the right direction,so at least we have some hope, but we sure need a clean out becouse we aint goin nowhere whit what i saw on saturday night, you could tell in the first 5 minutes they didnt come to play, so who are they playing for there not playing for the coach or there long time suffering supporters

UntamedTiger

Tiger Rookie
Jun 8, 2003
KL, the problem is that we took on the WRONG coaches in the first place.

Paterson and Sproule, well what can I say.

Jeans was not that interested in and passed it when he came aboard, but look at the team he had at the Hawks.

KB, well the poor bugger copt the worst of times and player group. Personally I though he had to go, but felt sorry for the fellow.

Northey, good for the club, as for what happened - enough said.

Walls is a dud, even you and I could have coached the team he has at Carlton that year to a flag(I think 87).

Geishen, a dud.

Frawley, his results both is game outcomes and developing player list is proof enough.

I believe that Miller has the cart blanche to do what is required to what is needed. As I mentioned earlier, with the system the way it is, you can only "tinker"(5-6 changes) the list, but he can start by clearing the football department (coaches, recruiters, etc) and start again.

That will REALLY rock the boat.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
alleycat said:
stkilda were a rabble to 3years ago but they seem to be finally headed in the right direction,so at least we have some hope, but we sure need a clean out becouse we aint goin nowhere whit what i saw on saturday night…

The reason they seem to be heading in the right direction is because the administration stood firm. When everyone around them was laughing at everything they did and said, after Blight was sacked, they wore the backlash and continued on undaunted.

Now, everyone suddenly thinks they are heading in the right direction.

Wasn't always this way. Their administration has had to cop their fair share of criticism and there'll be more to come, no doubt.

It seems to me that, at some point in time, you have to have faith in people to do their job.

If you're not committed, you will be found out soon enough.

The concern I have had in the past is that there was no one making anyone accountable. This seems to be changing now.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
alleycat said:
stkilda were a rabble to 3years ago but they seem to be finally headed in the right direction,so at least we have some hope, but we sure need a clean out becouse we aint goin nowhere whit what i saw on saturday night…

The reason they seem to be heading in the right direction is because the administration stood firm. When everyone around them was laughing at everything they did and said, after Blight was sacked, they wore the backlash and continued on undaunted.

Now, everyone suddenly thinks they are heading in the right direction.

Wasn't always this way. Their administration has had to cop their fair share of criticism and there'll be more to come, no doubt.

It seems to me that, at some point in time, you have to have faith in people to do their job.

If you're not committed, you will be found out soon enough.

The concern I have had in the past is that there was no one making anyone accountable for anything. This seems to be changing now.

UntamedTiger

Tiger Rookie
Jun 8, 2003
MC24, after 3 or 4 years of priority picks(and obvious standout pickups) and a bit of manipulating of the trade and pre-season periods and a coach prepared to play and push the youth along. Well, you would expect them to be going in the right direction?

Also highlights that the people off field are good at their job, in attracting the Hamills, Gehrigs, Pennys, etc to the club as well.

I do not believe that our football department, until Miller came on board, has been as successful in getting and attracting the right types of players to RFC.

UntamedTiger

Tiger Rookie
Jun 8, 2003
I forgot to ask MC24, are you suggesting that we supporters prepare to accept another 3 -4 years of near bottom finishes in the hope of building a list for success. Surely Frawley and co. were in the position to do that 4 years ago.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
UntamedTiger said:
MC24, after 3 or 4 years of priority picks(and obvious standout pickups) and a bit of manipulating of the trade and pre-season periods and a coach prepared to play and push the youth along. Well, you would expect them to be going in the right direction?

You can't just take it for granted that success will naturally follow. It still requires hard work and commitment from everyone.

UntamedTiger said:
I forgot to ask MC24, are you suggesting that we supporters prepare to accept another 3 -4 years of near bottom finishes in the hope of building a list for success. Surely Frawley and co. were in the position to do that 4 years ago.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from what I said UT.

Frawley and co. may have been in that position four years ago, but without the support they have now. As you said yourself:

UntamedTiger said:
I do not believe that our football department, until Miller came on board, has been as successful in getting and attracting the right types of players to RFC.

RFC was mediocre way before Danny came along. There were many other areas that needed attention. They are now getting it. And that has only been happening this year.

Judge people from hereon in, not last year or prior to that.

Ruthless Tigers ?

Tiger Superstar
Aug 10, 2003
Successful coaches have the ability to inspire.
Has anyone seen a flat Brisbane since Matthews arrived
Has anyone seen a flat C(*&^@^@d since Malthouse
Has anyone seen a flat Adelaide since Ayres
Has anyone seen a dispirited Eagles team this year

These coaches have the ability to inpsire and motivate. By his admission Frawley is not able to do that. If a mechanic fails to fix your car you go elsewhere, if your agent does not sell your house you go elsewhere, if a dr cannot fix your ills you go elsewhere. If a coach cannot inspire....lets extend his contract coz we like him.

DANNY YOU ARE A DUD.....if youa re so serious about your mates go and join them at StKIlda!

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
For a player that debuted in 1997 and is a midfielder, I dont think he is the player Richmond is looking for.

Just look at his stats this year so far, only 3 games in which he has had 20 possesions.

Many on this site have critised the recuitments of Billy Nichols and more particularly Tim Fleming.

Why would we want to recruit Hulme for ? He is in his mid 20's and not a high possesion getter.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
He is really hard at it, was crucial for Carlton in 2001 adn last year was injured. Thsi year he is getting 20+ possessions on occasions and to compare him to
Nichols and Fleming is an insult to the guy in my opinion. After watching him over the years he is really one of the only Carlton players i do rate, well also Thornton and Fevola (although he is sooky)..

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
shawry said:
He is really hard at it, was crucial for Carlton in 2001 adn last year was injured. Thsi year he is getting 20+ possessions on occasions and to compare him to
Nichols and Fleming is an insult to the guy in my opinion. After watching him over the years he is really one of the only Carlton players i do rate, well also Thornton and Fevola (although he is sooky)..

Shawry,

As I have said I don't rate him that highly. But in my eyes the one thing that really goes against him is his age.

He has just turned 26 (in July) so he is a player that you may get 3 seasons out of.

If we are serious about re-building then any player over 24-25 should not be considered in the first option if at all.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Koalalill said:
shawry said:

Shawry,

As I have said I don't rate him that highly. But in my eyes the one thing that really goes against him is his age.

He has just turned 26 (in July) so he is a player that you may get 3 seasons out of.

If we are serious about re-building then any player over 24-25 should not be considered in the first option if at all.
I am with yo uon the age thing. I did not realise that he was quite that old. That is fair enough, we should be looking at younger players.

ComedyCapers

I'm a llama!
Aug 13, 2003
Canberra
Ferenc Puskas, the great Hungarian soccer player of the 60's said when describing a team. 'We can't be all concert pianists someone has to carry the piano".
The trouble with the Tiges is too many piano carriers (Glove, King, Cogs, Soup etc.) and not enough concert pianists. Hulme is you typical piano carrier viz. hard at it with poor disposal skills. We need more Leon Cameron,
Dean Kemp, Simon Black types and not one sided ( or no sided players) with big hearts.