Coburg positive despite burglary, fire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coburg positive despite burglary, fire

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Coburg positive despite burglary, fire
01 May 2004 Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

FIRE and theft has not upset the Coburg Tigers' gallant start to the VFL season.

After a disappointing 2003, in which the team finished second last and battled boardroom turmoil, Coburg has made an impressive start, winning three of its first four games.

The Tigers are sitting comfortably in fourth, joining Sandringham, Port Melbourne and Tasmania in the top four.

But while the club's on-field fortunes have turned, the Tigers have experienced a string of bad luck off the field.

Fire destroyed the club's administrative area just before the start of the season and last week it was hit again – this time by thieves, who stole equipment.

Despite the setbacks, coach David Flood has been thrilled with his team's start to the year and the way the Tigers have banded together.

"I'm rapt at the moment. We've got a really good group of young players and a really good leadership group at Coburg," Flood said.

"Things have blended together pretty well. Things were pretty tough last year.

"Even since, we've had a fire at the club that burnt out all of our administration area, which slowed things down for a month, and we've been burgled.

"So we've had a pretty tough start to the year, but I think the playing group have stuck together really well."

Flood said the enthusiasm of the young Coburg and Richmond-listed players had been a driving force in the club's turnaround.

"The enthusiasm of our young players and the enthusiasm of the young Richmond players that come back and play with us has given all of us a bit of a boost," he said.

Despite the form-woes of AFL affiliate Richmond, Flood said the troubles had not filtered down to Coburg.

"Our Richmond boys always come back with a fantastic attitude," he said.

"I haven't had one problem with any of the Richmond players. Every time they come back, they've come back with the right attitude.

"Hopefully the Richmond thing will turn around soon."

The Tigers face the Northern Bullants at Preston City Oval today.

While the Bullants have won only one game this season, Flood said they would not be a pushover.

"I think it's going to be a pretty tough game," he said.

"We played them in a practice match and they beat us pretty easily, so we're pretty aware of their talent.

"But we've got a bye the following week so we'd love to get to the bye four and one. That's our aim."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9432239%5E19895,00.html