Coburg Richmond players analysis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coburg Richmond players analysis

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Watching the Coburg game yesterday the following is my analysis of the Richmond players that played -

Fleming. He looks impressive. What stood out was his hardness at the ball in pack situations. He only had eyes for the ball and didn't worry about any players around him. Makes bowden and tivendale look like fairies. Also I was impressed with his composure and vision, didn't blaze away when he got the ball and most times found a teamate (very un-rogers like). Good with foot and hands. Neat kicking style and kicked two nice goals from a set shot. Awkward running style made it hard to get an idea of his speed. Got a headknock in the 2nd quarter and was off the ground, but by then was definately coburgs best player. Baring injuries (and frawely) he will definately get a game with richmond which would strengthen our hard ball gets from the centre and pack situations with the likes of Coughlan, Campbell and Johnson.

Mcgrath. He soley almost got Coburg back into a winning position in the last quarter. Cannot beleive how high he can jump. Saw him last year, and even though he hasn't bulked up that much his toughness has improved. I don't think he can bulk up much more - that's his body shape - a bit like michael long. Got more time in the middle in the 2nd half where he really impressed me. Was running opponents ragged with his evasiveness. One passage of play where he ran from the wing into the middle to collect the ball, ran around 2 players, showed the ball to the 3rd, stepped around him also, left foot torpedo to the goal square. Very good prospects with Mcgrath, more potential than Krakour IMO. He would be impossible to mark as a running midfielder and as a forward as he can out mark key position players. Very exciting talent, hopefully he can be given a game soon.

Krak. Looked un-fit yesterday, due to his recent injury. Looked good at times, great hands, delivered the ball perfectly from the midfield to leading forwards. Linked up good with Mcgrath yesterday and made more mature body opponents look ordinary. It seemed that he wanted to take opponents on yesterday, but due to his fitness level chose to take on one too many players, and was caught with the ball on a few occassions. A fit Krak should be able to walk into the richmond side. That seems to be my concern, can he get fit enough and pick up a yard of pace to fully realise his potential. Time will tell.

Nicholls. Started slowly but improved as the game went on. Played mostly in the forward line and seems a smart player around goals. Looked a bit un-fit, due to injury interupted pre-season. Kicked a few nice opportunist goals and set up a couple more. Has good kicking style and looks composed, however its hard to judge from a televised game as I couldn't see all his other options on disposal. A fit Nicholls could force his way into the richmond team.

Shir. Looked OK, hoever didn't get enough of the ball and I think he spent some time on the bench. Looks like he has got good skills by hand and foot. The thing that stood out was his running through the lines, as a link player which reminded me alot of how his former team, adelaide, play. On a few occassions he would run hard to a teamate in possession to receive the ball and have his momentum carry him forward. He kicked a very adelaide like goal where he ran and received a ball approx. 60 metres from goal, ran to 40 metres out and kicked a goal. Too early to tell if he will make it as he got limited possessions.

Pickering - Big guy who showed composure off the back flank. Nothing flashy, very conservative game. Looks slow, however. Too early to tell.

Shultz. Strong game from him playing CHF with Croft playing on him. Presented well and very strong in marking contests. Broke even with Croft IMO, which is a good result for the 17 yo playing on a mature, afl experienced big man. Can step up in afl this year.

Sipthorp. Spent virtually the whole game on the bench. This is a disgrace. How is the kid going to get any improvement if he doesn't play. I don't care about Copburgs results, the young kids have to get a game.

Moore. The same as above. How is he meant to force himself into the senior list if he doesn't get a game.

Mills and Hyde - both played well and showed potential. If they can get rid of the errors in their game then they could be players. Would rather give them game time than rogers and king and some others.

Vardy and Biddiscombe - Don't bother. Both looked pathetic in a vfl game.

My advice to frawely is that he has no excuses to keep playing his underperforming buddies in the firsts as there seems to be players with potential not in the current team. Players that have got more to offer the future of RFC than have some of todays 22.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
We have to play the best 22 available imo Harry.
I doubt that Rogo, Tivva or Bowden (the few you mention) would be dropped for any of these guys.
We are one win one loss, and on our way to trying to win a premiership.
I'd say chuck the kids in if we were near the end of the season with no chance of making the 8.
Until then we need the best team we can field each week.
We don't know who's ready to step up, their mindset etc.
It's not in a kids best interests to play them before they are ready for it.
There might be a vacancy with Zanner injured. Maybe King didn't do enough. Pettifer didn't either (less than Hyde last week), but he must be a protected species with Danny.
I doubt there will be a heap of changes this week.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
If Rogers and King are in our best 22 then we deserve mediocracy (sp?).

No I don't beleive this should be on the Coburg thread as it is an analysis of the richmond players and potentially players of the future.

Rosy - this was intended for the richmond board - can you pls put it back there.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Harry, when I saw this thread I thought it belonged on the Coburg board. When m_p mentioned it I decided to move it.
The majority of content is in regard to how Richmond listed players performed in a Coburg game. Most of them are probably considered Coburg players at the moment.
Mongrel_punt and j2r both have very similar player reports to yours and chose to post them on the Coburg board.
This way the similar posts are all together.
I think the way to decide which board a thread is relevant on is to see what the majority of it's content is in regard to.
Otherwise we might as well not have separate boards and throw everything all into one.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
This was intended as an analysis of richmond players not in the current 22 and who are in line for a call up. It was meant to give the PRE members an idea of what type of players we have in reserve.

It was not meant to be an anlalysis of how coburg played.

My detailed post was meant for the members who read and respond to richmond posts - most of whom I don't beleive would even read the coburg posts.