Colin Wisbey Profiles Updated | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Colin Wisbey Profiles Updated

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
I have already asked the Wiz for the profiles of Pattison, Polo, and Meyer.

We all know enough about Tambling and Lids so I didn't bother and I didn't ask about the others because I dont want to push my luck!

I will paste the profiles as I recieve them.  If I recieve them that is.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Re: Colin Wisbey Profiles

He has started to post Collingwood player profiles on the site, but this is what he had to say to other teams players.

Date Posted: 11:54:41 11/22/04 Mon
Author: Colin Wisbey
Author Host/IP: 211.28.195.49
Subject: Comments re my profiles

I'll stagger the non-Pies profiles over the next week and a bit but apologies in advance to non Pies fans who are not interested.

NB!!: (Important to me)

A vital reminder that in no way are my rankings intended to reflect where the kid will get drafted, if at all.

Nor are they intended, in any way whatsoever, to reflect the draft pick I would be prepared to use to draft them. eg I rate Iacobucci early in my rankings but felt any club who wanted him would get Iacobucci for perhaps an early 3rd round pick (he went 55). Possibly even the last pick in the entire draft for some kids I like.

If I was in the chair, the pick I would use would be somewaht according to their perceived market value except that I would be prepared to pay fractionally dearer for someone I strongly wanted and with whom I wanted to minimise the risk of missing out.

I acknowledge in advance in quite a number of the profiles that that particular player is likely to go (eg) much earlier or much later than my ranking figure.

All that my rankings indicate in a Draft Day sense is that if ranked someone at, say, 13 and you got him with pick 28, then I reckon you got a bargain. Chances are that I too may(?) have only used pick 28 were I in the club's position.

Also, the "Style like .. " comparisons are exactly that. Comparisons of the player's style (as close as I could pin them anyway), and no reflection of the comparative abilities of the kid and the AFL player.

Sorry to labour those points but every year I get someone trying to (mis)quote me as saying I had rated someone "as good as Hird" (or whoever). And every year someone tries to point out that I was wrong in my assessment of a kid, drafted only days or weeks earlier, because he went much earlier or later than my ranking figure. It drives me nuts!!!!!

I'll get some predictions right and some wrong. If a kid gets drafted, the only way of judging whether anyone's prediction/assessment on him was accurate or not is how his AFL career goes. Draft Day is just a popularity poll, not an indicator of whether a kid will be a success at AFL level.

I will keep checking every day.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003

Good work BalmyArmy.

Wisbey called Jackson beautifully last year.I'll be interested to see what he thinks of Pattison and Polo.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Is it too early to start calling Dean Polo "Bear" ?

Haaargh haaaargh aaaargh.....aaahh...sorry.

Hammerfire

The Devils Advocate of PRE!!
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne

Redford said:
Is it too early to start calling Dean Polo "Bear" ?

Haaargh haaaargh aaaargh.....aaahh...sorry.

Eh, Not Funny.

Wisbey's put about 8 profiles out on the collingwood site, Willits and Wells are two that i know his definetly done.

frahlee

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 26, 2004
MELBOURNE

LOL Redders. One request. Please adjust your avatar. It's frightening the children (small and larger ones).

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne

Here's the first one. DANNY MEYER

Date Posted: 22:53:48 11/23/04 Tue
Author: Colin Wisbey
Author Host/IP: 211.28.195.49
Subject: Profile: Danny Meyer

The profile follows below but I first want to clarify one point.

I describe his pace as "OK". I know some people describe him as very quick but I'm not so sure. I have no problem with his pace over a distance. I also agree he has a rapid-pumping running action that often at least makes him look quick. Perhaps I am underrating his overall pace but I am not convinced about his speed off the mark. After the first 10m, fine, but its the first few metres I'm not convinced about. I probably should have split my verdict re his pace so it differentiated between the two categories.

I don't know his background but he gives me the impression of possibly having been a slowish early teenager who has recently worked hard on his technique and is now getting almost as much pace out of himself as his body lets him.
-------------------------------------
Danny Meyer (Glenelg)

183/70 mid-age right foot (dual-sided) HFF.

*STYLE LIKE: Tyson Edwards

*TRADEMARK:

- Screamer.

*SUMMARY ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATION:

- 6' marking forward worth early Rnd 2.

- He is not the complete package but is AFL IMHO and has a bit of "X factor". Plays very tall, kicks important goals and has a fair bit of development in him due to playing mainly school footy and trying to play tall but with a slim body size.

- Concentrating on school footy and often playing on a flank has meant he has displayed good form at that level without really being extended. This worries me a bit but I get the impression that, although reserved off-field, he enjoys rising to the occasion on a big stage and that encourages me to be optimistic for AFL level. I think he has more to offer than what he sometimes shows. The U18 Champs gave him a good guide as to where he currently sits, and what ground he needs to make up relative to his peers, when he found himself robbed of the freedom to perform his usual school party tricks.

- Currently lacks weight for the style of game he tries to play. Is slim and will improve a lot once he gains weight/strength.

- He sits at 18 in my rankings. In a typically stronger draft I would have him lower as he has a 5cm reach disadvantage and is somewhat unproven. I kept trying to drop him lower but, in the end, I could not find enough alternatives who had better credentials. Having said that, there are four other SA kids I would take ahead of him. I am rating him more on what I believe he will be capable of, rather than reading too much into his actual form to date. He just hasn't had the grounding that, say, the TAC kids have had.

I likened his style to Tyson Edwards but I think with time he might become the guy that you put your best stopper on. He has the potential to become very damaging - slippery, plays tall and kicks damaging goals..

Ready year 2.

*DISPOSAL:

- Generally a good set kick, especially for goal. I quite rate his kicking but not to the same extent that some others do. Overall he is a good, but not special, kick in general play. Hurt factor could be a bit better.

- Economical kicking action yet good power.

- Genuinely dual-sided.

- Good balance of kicks to feeds. Kicks are predominantly long. His accurate kicks hurt.

- Range seems to be just fractionally more than 50m but he gets the 45-50m consistently. Range is likely to improve once he adds weight and gets more power/strength in his legs and back.

- Dangerous around goals. Good goal sense - set, snap or on the run. Has shown he can kick a "must get" goal.

- Handball accuracy and hurt factor is a mixed bag under great pressure but he has quick hands.

*DECISION-MAKING, SMARTS:

- Generally makes the right decisions. Shows poise, has very good vision, looks for options and thinks quickly.
- Reads the play very well. Reads the ball well and roves the pack/spill well.
- Good traffic management.

*HANDS:

- Is reasonably clean below the knee without being especially reliable. He is arguably cleaner overhead than at ground level. Strangely, he seems to be cleaner off the ground under great pressure than he is when the pressure is a bit less. (Perhaps when he has time to think, he is inclined to spend it before he gets it?)

*OVERHEAD MARKING:

- Loves a mark. Strong overhead for his size. Plays very much taller than his 183cm and can take frequent one-grab screamers, include pack. Took one of the best grabs I saw all year, including AFL games.

- Reliable from the front or behind but is especially effective coming over the top. Good judgement, very good hands, and generally holds his ground OK one on one. Nevertheless, those who have seen him virtually unbeatable in the air at schools level did not see the same aerial dominance once he played at the hugely higher standard of U18 Champs. Only 2 contested marks in 3 games.

- Has a 5cm reach disadvantage compared to the average player of his height and that is logically a big disability for this type of game. It does concern me, of course. If it weren't for that, I'd be more confident about his prospects. However, many of his marks come through his enormous leap, often with arms not even needing to be fully extended. He can take a chest mark shoulder high. I place a lot of weight on reach advantage, especially in a marking player. In the end, the leap versus reach disadvantage equation gave me enough reassurance. The reach is a shame though.

- Any current difficulties seem mainly due to lack of weight/strength. Once he bulks up he is likely to be an outstanding mark for his size. He attacks his marks but can currently be buffeted off the line.

*ATHLETICISM:

- Gives me the impression of being in decent trim but very under-developed and with more potential athleticism than he has shown thus far.

- Biggest athletic attribute, by a mile, is his leap. Terrific, even from a standing start.

- Pace is OK but not special. Running action fair but could get more efficient drive from arms and he is sometimes inclined to be too bent (especially his head) in a short run. Has scope to improve but I can't see him ever being genuinely quick. Definitely has enough pace for AFL but the slippery ones will get away from him on occasions. Building up his quads will help.

- Excellent evasive ability.

- Normal agility is very good but recovery agility is a mixed bag.

- Needs to work a lot on his endurance.

- Is currently light but should finish up with a nice build. Has fairly good natural balance and keeps his feet well when tackled but currently gets pushed off the ball a fair bit when it comes down to a battle of bodies.

*INTENSITY, ETHIC:

- Varies in some areas but overall good.

- Good 2nd efforts.

- Attacks the man. Prolific tackler. Tackles often but not always effectively or with enough physical strength behind the tackle. It is especially in that context that his recovery agility and acceleration can sometimes be found out. i.e. when he charges at a player and the tackle doesn't initially stick. He is likely to be a very effective tackler once he gains strength.

- Runs on.

*CONSISTENCY:

- Fairly consistent game by game and has consistent stats quarter by quarter but plays a bit in bursts. Will get 3 possessions in 3 minutes but maybe none for the next 15.

*AFL VERSATILITY:

- Is ideally suited to HFF or FP. Hasn't shown much inside midfield yet (and he doesn't appear to be "first dibs") but might be a chance, especially an outside role. I doubt he is suited to a defensive role.

*SCI (SCOPE FOR CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT):

- Has given most of his peers a head start, development-wise, by concentrating on school footy so is behind them in terms of learning curve, physical development and experience gained from playing under pressure.

*QUERY:

- Accountability to his own opponent. (No big deal, it's just that I don't have a handle on it)
- Versatility (maybe)?

*SOME STATS:

- Stats summary '04 U18 Champs:
Averaged 13 disposals and 3.3 marks in his 3 games. (Best TD 16).
Kicks to feeds: 23-16 (1.4:1).
Kicks long vs short: 15-3 (5.0:1).
Kicking accuracy: 5/23 ineffective incl 2 clangers.
Handball accuracy: 4/16 ineffective incl 1 clangers.
Total accuracy: 9/39 ineffective incl 3 clangers.
Gets own ball?: 9/39TD were HR. 6 HBG.
S.P. clearances: 4 incl 3 BU incl 1 CBC.
Tackles: 13
Marking: 2 of 10 were contested.

Stu

Tiger Superstar
Aug 12, 2004
I know we've talked about them ad nausem but I'd love to see his write ups on Deledio & Tambling

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
All will be posted over the next week Stu. I'm checking his site 5 times a day and am anxiously awaiting the other profiles too.

He said we took Meyer marginally too high, but also said he was unlikely to be there by 16 so if we wanted him badly enough to take him at 12. Fine line between 16 and 12 I know, but just remember, this is only one guys opinion.

As I said last year when I posted Daniel jacksons profile, he is very thorough with his assessment, but it is only his opinion. Right or wrong, it gives us good insight into the players for those who haven't seen them.

The similarity between Jackson and Meyer, is that Colin rates them both for what they can become, not what they have done/achieved. It seems Miller goes for the potential with later picks. Obviously Deledio and Tambling are exceptions to this rule.

Wiz also stated last year that Nathan Foley looks a likely type and should becaome a good player in time.

tigerforever

the tiger is set to pounce
Jul 26, 2004
melbourne
I describe his pace as "OK". I know some people describe him as very quick but I'm not so sure. I have no problem with his pace over a distance. I also agree he has a rapid-pumping running action that often at least makes him look quick. Perhaps I am underrating his overall pace but I am not convinced about his speed off the mark. After the first 10m, fine, but its the first few metres I'm not convinced about. I probably should have split my verdict re his pace so it differentiated between the two categories

i think i read somewhere he has good pace has competed in a number of sprint events in sa......

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
I finally got a reply from Colin Wisbey re player profiles from 2004 draft.

He says he still has about 20 players to post and will do so before Round 1. I will check daily and hassle him till I get them. As soon as I do, I will post for everyone to see.