Comeback kid set for a new start | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Comeback kid set for a new start

A

admin

From RealFooty

March 05 2003

After a year working towards his second comeback, Richmond's Marc Dragicevic hopes to write a new chapter in his football diary, reports Emma Quayle.

Some achievements do not seem particularly big at first glance. Like picking up a few possessions in a reserves practice match. Or reaching a point in life where you can no longer reel off the latest Days of Our Lives plot lines.

Marc Dragicevic knows better than most that his second attempt at an AFL comeback will not be easy. Still, the Richmond midfielder couldn't help but be delighted when the final siren rang at Whitten Oval last Saturday, signalling an end to the Coburg-Port Melbourne scratch match, and his understated return from reconstruction No. 2.

The game was played one year to the day after Dragicevic's knee collapsed underneath him in the first minute of Richmond's third pre-season game against Carlton last March, resigning him to another operation, another year in rehab and more time in front of the TV set living vicariously through Victor, Hope, and all who inhabit Salem, USA.

"It was a really good feeling, that's for sure. It was very enjoyable just not to be in the stands," said Dragicevic of the game, in which he was thrown in for the third term and, with serious butterflies, made a wonky start.

"For my first kick, I picked the ball up just inside the centre square and booted it and it was just a mongrel floater . . . it just kept going in the wind and bounced into the goal square and hit the post.

"It would have been a great start, but I still felt so good out there. Just being able to get into a few contests, go body on body with someone and even wake up having that general soreness. I haven't had that in a while."

True confidence still eludes him - not until his third or fourth full match back does he think he will feel completely comfortable on the ground again - but the one thing Dragicevic knows is that he has done everything possible to get himself back to where he was.

From the moment he opened the diary he kept to help himself through his first reconstruction, the 21-year-old ignored the final line that read, "I hope I never have to write in this book again", and set about applying himself to almost the same program that got him through his first year off.

"I'd write down all my feelings, and all the mini goals I got that no one else knew about," said Dragicevic. "If I was angry, I'd write that, and I'd write in it if I was really happy about something, or proud. The way I saw it, no one else was going to read it, so I just wanted to be really open with myself."

The book, he said, will "hardly be a best-seller. It's no Harry Potter". But that shouldn't matter. Dragicevic has done the gym work, the laps of the Prahran pool, the bike riding, the twisting and turning and, more recently, the contact work at training. "Marc's looking terrific," said Richmond fitness co-ordinator Noel Duncan. "From the start, he really took ownership of his program. He was the one who decided that he was ready to play."

Rather than wallow during his time out, Dragicevic spent as much time as he could around the club. He took some gym equipment with him on his end-of-season Europe trip, learning "to do leg squats on pillows, and whatever I could find", and transformed from someone who could barely muster a stroke to a capable swimmer who can handle two or three kilometres.

When Dragicevic surfaces for season 2003, he will be nine kilograms heavier than in his last real senior game, but nursing the same ambitions he always has.

Figuring out what the coaches expect will take more time, although he knows they will not rush him. His next step is to play a full reserves match, starting this Saturday against Box Hill.

"It's such a different perspective being out, having to watch games. In your mind, you become the best player there ever has been . . . you have to remember it's so hard out there, it won't be easy," he said. "It's hard to gauge what the coaches are expecting. In the start, I think it will be just to play games and build my confidence, pick up the pace, make gradual improvement and enjoy myself.

"I think they'll be looking at me to do that, like the new recruit. But I also have goals, individual goals, that I think I can do, and I want to try and show them that I can play good footy again."

TigerFury

Eloquent Feral
Dec 19, 2002
Belgrave
Lest we forget that this kid actually has some ability. Let's hope that his body holds together and he can get the confidence back to play again at this level. Lord knows that our midfield needs all the help it can get!

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
From what I remember, Dragga is someone who can add some spark to the side. He just seemed like he loved being out there. We certainly need more players like that.

Given what he's been through, he deserves some reward for his application and dedication to getting back. It seems like he's made the most of his time out and developed a real appreciation for the game and certainly isn't taking anything for granted.

Good luck Marc. No doubts about your comeback this time.

A

admin

Forget the article look at the pic  ;)
Haha, I had already saved that photo for the picture gallery TG. Oh well back the the drawing board. I don't really see the purpose of having pics on the site that are readily available on other websites anyway.
Here's hoping for some good originals from the family day. ;D

A

admin

It's a very cute pic, but I'm sure between TG and KL we'll get better ones anyway.
Not meaning to put any pressure on you guys, ha. :rollin

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002

Yeah, at coburg for good!
im not sure why am i replying to this but.
listen up you fool.dragga would have more courage in his little pinky than you have in your entire worthless body.if your read the article[i have my doubts]you would realise what he has gone thru in the past 2yrs.coming back form one reco is bad enough but coming back from 2 is indeed what courage is all about.
like i said i dont know why im replying to fools like yaself but i will stick up for any player who deserves it against morons like yourself.
if you havnt got anything construtive to say[from what i have seen so far stuff all]then dont say it at all.
im convinced your not even a tiger supporter.
as one sheep said to another flock off:D

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Don't worry about it J2R. Diggler's assessment of young players leaves a lot to be desired.

I seem to recall him labeling Coughlan a hack early last season.

And Diggler, stick to what you do best, Danny and Duncan bashing.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Don't worry about it J2R.  Diggler's assessment of young players leaves a lot to be desired.

I seem to  recall him labeling Coughlan a hack early last season.

And Diggler, stick to what you do best, Danny and Duncan bashing.
yes i know TF i should know better than feed trolls. :-/

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
He couldnt play when he had good knees and the club is a charity case for giving him another go. A bit like collingwood a few years ago with Walker. And look what happened to him.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Yes, he was bloody terrible and his footskills aint much better than duncan.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Diggler suggest you take a look at the tape Rd 18, 2001, Richmond Vs Collingwood.

I reckon you should change your name to the Matador. Loves waving a red flag at the bull, only to step out of the way at the last minute. Reckon you revel in your own notoriety......I love it.

Skeeta

TigersRule
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Dragga is one young kid that deserves a bit of luck and loyalty..When he is on he can turn a game and i for one admire the way he plays the game. Has heaps of guts not like a few we have down there but im sure i dont have to name the main culprit.....onya Dragga