Connors | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Connors

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Well, here we go again.
Yet another Richmond player, or should say ex Richmond Player in big trouble.
Of course Dustin Martin had to be included in the report did he not?
No problem with the charges being laid, but wonder why Dusty has to be included in the report.

Don't miss out on the headlines from Police & Courts. Followed categories will be added to My News.

Former Richmond footballer Daniel Connors has been charged with firearm and drug offences.
Detectives from the anti-organised crime Echo taskforce charged Connors this week as part of a wider investigation.
The gifted 34-year-old played for the Tigers between 2007 and 2012 before being sacked over off-field issues.
Connors appeared in the dock at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Friday morning, flanked by custody officers.
His court appearance came a day after he was charged with possess cocaine, possess a drug of dependence, possess a prohibited weapon without exemption, negligently deal with proceeds of crime, fail to comply with directions and driving unlicensed.
Specifics of the allegations against him were not aired in court.
He did not say anything during the brief administrative hearing, with his lawyer telling the court there would be no application for bail made at this stage.
Connors was remanded to return to court for a committal case conference on March 31.
Connors was a raking left-foot kick with tremendous promise of a long AFL career.
Daniel Connors was dogged by persistent rumours about his off-field activities. Picture: Instagram

Daniel Connors was dogged by persistent rumours about his off-field activities. Picture: Instagram
But he played nowhere near the number of games expected because of a combination of ill-discipline and a lack of professionalism.
Connors was dogged by persistent rumours about his off-field activities.
His sacking was said to have happened to protect Connors’ good friend Dustin Martin, amid concerns he would end up in trouble because of the association.
Martin is now a three time premiership player, a triple Norm Smith Medallist and a Brownlow Medallist.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Looks like the scavengers found a half-eaten Big Mac in the rubbish bin today. This story should fill their hunger for while.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Not sure if I am being paranoid.
It seems to me anyway, that no matter what dross is dug up about the Tigers, be it slight or nasty, Dusty features almost every time.
What the hell has he done that the media seem so intensely hateful towards him?
In the above are they trying to suggest he is somehow involved, due to his so called friendship with Connors.
Have no idea if he and Connors were ever close buddies or not, as not privvy to his private life.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Herald Sun headlined him as an ex-star Tiger...wowsers

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
It seems to me anyway, that no matter what dross is dug up about the Tigers, be it slight or nasty, Dusty features almost every time.
In the above are they trying to suggest he is somehow involved, due to his so called friendship with Connors.

No offence but I think you are being paranoid. There is no implication Dusty is involved.

Reactions: 8 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Well, here we go again.
Yet another Richmond player, or should say ex Richmond Player in big trouble.
Of course Dustin Martin had to be included in the report did he not?
No problem with the charges being laid, but wonder why Dusty has to be included in the report.

Don't miss out on the headlines from Police & Courts. Followed categories will be added to My News.

Former Richmond footballer Daniel Connors has been charged with firearm and drug offences.
Detectives from the anti-organised crime Echo taskforce charged Connors this week as part of a wider investigation.
The gifted 34-year-old played for the Tigers between 2007 and 2012 before being sacked over off-field issues.
Connors appeared in the dock at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Friday morning, flanked by custody officers.
His court appearance came a day after he was charged with possess cocaine, possess a drug of dependence, possess a prohibited weapon without exemption, negligently deal with proceeds of crime, fail to comply with directions and driving unlicensed.
Specifics of the allegations against him were not aired in court.
He did not say anything during the brief administrative hearing, with his lawyer telling the court there would be no application for bail made at this stage.
Connors was remanded to return to court for a committal case conference on March 31.
Connors was a raking left-foot kick with tremendous promise of a long AFL career.

But he played nowhere near the number of games expected because of a combination of ill-discipline and a lack of professionalism.
Connors was dogged by persistent rumours about his off-field activities.
His sacking was said to have happened to protect Connors’ good friend Dustin Martin, amid concerns he would end up in trouble because of the association.
Martin is now a three time premiership player, a triple Norm Smith Medallist and a Brownlow Medallist.

Well I am as bad as the Herald Sun then ;) as I reported it in the Dusty thread only. Well known they roomed together, missed training sessions under dubious circumstances and heading down a treacherous road.
Dusty no doubt got read the riot act to dissociate.

Reactions: 5 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Well I am as bad as the Herald Sun then ;) as I reported it in the Dusty thread only. Well known they roomed together, missed training sessions under dubious circumstances and heading down a treacherous road.
Dusty no doubt got read the riot act to dissociate.
I think Connors was sacked over the incident. Dusty got suspended. I believe he hung out with Connors and Hislop for a bit after, but then Connors moved interstate. Unsurprising that both Richmond and Martin were referenced in this article to give it context, without those connections it wouldn’t have made the news at all.

Reactions: 4 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I'm actually surprised its taken this long
DC has been on this path a long long time

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Meh, they’d right that headline for any AFL player that gets those charges.

I'm actually surprised its taken this long
DC has been on this path a long long time

Yeah, sometimes you can’t stop people meeting their destiny. Doesn’t make them bad people, just not doing the right things right now. Hopefully he turns it around. Connors was super popular amongst teammates. Hopefully those guys stick by him and help him through.

Reactions: 3 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Dusty sells papers and generates clicks. As does the names Richmond and Tigers. This isn't a vendetta again RFC. It's about generating as much revenue as possible for Mr Murdoch.
The term "star" is overused in society. Matt Renshaw was reported in a headline as "Australian Cricketing Star has COVID". He's lucky to be in the side.
Star, pfffft

Reactions: 6 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Have no idea if he and Connors were ever close buddies or not, as not privvy to his private life.
Dusty's problem is he is not media savvy and avoids it whenever possible. If he was more open and friendly with the press then maybe they would back off from this unnecessary and pointless sniping

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Meh, they’d right that headline for any AFL player that gets those charges.

Yeah, sometimes you can’t stop people meeting their destiny. Doesn’t make them bad people, just not doing the right things right now. Hopefully he turns it around. Connors was super popular amongst teammates. Hopefully those guys stick by him and help him through.
Connors is a bad person just surf the internet and I also think there was a very unsavoury incident in his youth.
I wouldn't be standing within 100 miles of him let alone by him.

Reactions: 4 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Dusty's problem is he is not media savvy and avoids it whenever possible. If he was more open and friendly with the press then maybe they would back off from this unnecessary and pointless sniping
Why is it Dusty's problem??????????If he wants to avoid media scrutiny and not engage with it that is his choice,Being media savvy does not always bear fruit.

Reactions: 2 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Why is it Dusty's problem??????????If he wants to avoid media scrutiny and not engage with it that is his choice,Being media savvy does not always bear fruit.
100%
Dusty is extremely media savvy - to the extent that he basically refuses to acknowledge their existence.
And good on him

Reactions: 5 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Still making poor choices.
It never clicks with some.