Convict Creations - Opinions please! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Convict Creations - Opinions please!

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Found this page on the internet a few days back.

http://www.convictcreations.com/football/richmond.htm

It's a page from a web-site that traces back on Australian culture.

Would love opinions on what it has to say about the Richmond footy club.

Personally, i find a good deal of it quite accurate!

At a minimum, it is an interesting read.

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
The first half or so was scary in its acuracy but I think the author lost the plot in the end especially about the song.

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Are we REALLY any more fairweather than coll or ess supporters? What sort of crowds are carl getting now?

coll and ess are pulling huge crowds sure, but they have had either several years of sustained success (ess) or absolute saturation media coverage (coll). coll's fans are like lemmings, following fat eddie off the cliff, repeating parrot fashion everything he says.

18/20 years out of the finals and let's see how strong ess and coll's memberships look. I say, with our onfield record ANY other club would have gone under, EXCEPT for Richmond.

Future Tiger Champ

Tiger Cub
Jul 17, 2003
Whats wrong with the song, sure we dont get to sing it as often as we would like too, but hey, didnt all supporters from all over australia vote Richmond's club song as he best in the A.F.L??

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
The author is talking absolute garbage re the song. One thing about Richmond supporters is that they do, at least, know the whole song. Fair dinkum, it's the only song that even opposition supporters know well. What a load of crap.

I also object to the idea that we turn away from the club when things aren't going well. Richmond supporters are probably the most critical, but they never leave the club as such.

Some of these so-called experts should come up to Sydney to see what fairweather means. The supporters here couldn't name one reserves Swans player I reckon.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
As results got progressively worse, a culture built upon tearing apart the opposition, began tearing apart itself. Disenchanted icons left the club and without the benefit of their experience, the young recruits had no one to educate them about the Tigers intimidating culture.

I think this is a real problem. We need previous Richmond people around so the players really know the proud tradition of the jumper and what an honour it is to wear it. People like Tommy Hafey could really inspire the boys imo.

Knights was subsequently seen with blood steaming down his face, slapping Libratore with an open hand. Considering Jack Dyer's lofty reputation for spilling blood, the image of a Richmond captain crying about being king hit by a little man, typified the disconnection from its historical culture which has seen the tigers go from the hunters to the hunted.

Thought they were going to say Knigher was king hit by someone else there. ;) I think it's a bit out of order to use that instance as an example of disconnection from our culture. Football in general now has a different culture and thugism and violence aren't tolerated anymore.

All in all, it is a clever song which makes it a shame that it is wasted on people who can only sing yellow and black. Much like feeding strawberries to pigs.

With that attitude glad the author isn't a Tiger fan. Couldn't be if they have that opinion of the song.
Opposition supporters in general usually recognise our song as the best in the league.

Mmmmmmmmmmm strawberries. ;D

WJP

Tiger Rookie
Jul 28, 2003
VIC
Obviously the auther is a supporter of a team with a horrible theam song, ie one of 15 other teams and is just jealous. What other song can you sing with such passion and pride. Maybe he/she should crawl back into thier little black hole :mad:

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I have read what he/she has written about some of the other clubs and it doesn't get much better - quite satirical!!

I think Richmond supporter have earned a poor reputation from the mid 80's when membership was as low as 3000. This was prior to clubs pushing to the members how important it is to the club to be paid up.

I have a theory on this!

Being a tenant at the MCG where every seat is a good seat, in the bad old days i think a lot of people didn't bother getting a membership simply because they'd always get in, and have a pretty good seat.

The song issue IS a bit "off beat" so to speak. One might get the impression that some people don't know and aren't singing the whole song simply because of the way the "YELLOW and BLACK" is belted out.

If this person was standing in the crowd, he/she would know differently!

Omarkum

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 19, 2003
Thanks Frick, great site ! I took the article as being very intuitive , with exageration being a part of it's satirical approach. It was for the most part accurate and funny.

I think it was terribly unfair on Knights though. However, I felt very embarrassed by the clubs actions and comments at the time. Particularly Casey, though I cant remember much of what he said , I know I cringed and thought this is bad coming from us.

Lets hope all Richmond people brave the hurt and the weather to be there on sunday .....It will say a whole lot about where our culture and club is really at.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Haha I didn't even notice it was meant to be satirical when I read it last night. Maybe cos it's been a very big week for me in several ways and I was exhausted when I got home from Melbourne last night. Then again it was probably because it was fairly close to the truth anyway. ;)