Coronavirus grand final. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus grand final.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
couldn't the old and infirm just not go to the large gatherings?

I decided long ago that going to my mother-in-laws for dinner is emotionally a very high risk activity for me,

so I dont go.

although I wouldn't really mind if the government cancelled my mother-in-laws family gatherings.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Sure understand your choice. Estimated 1.4 million global road deaths last year. I really hope I’m right but can’t see this outcome. I don’t think it’s a rationalisation it’s just talking about the risk and not the consequence. Any horrible consequence no one wants to face. For sure in a large public gathering there is a greater chance you catch something. Basically to probably sir’s point the media drives attention To low probability headline gathering issues. I disagree with the contention this isn’t a big issue, because our collective response to it is clearly making it reallly serious.

Fair enough, nobody can say with any degree of certainty what will happen from here. My comment was in relation to Australia's road toll - if this issue remains with us for several months as seems likely, our annual road toll could well be exceeded.

If anything I think the (print) media have been at pains to play down the risk, especially since Friday, e.g. the sudden disregard for WHO pronouncements. We're going our own way and if overseas experiences are any guide, it isn't the right way.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Third thought is that when everyone reacts the same way it causes issues that wouldn’t exist if we didn’t go into this mode.... Whether it be a run on a bank, an over purchase of toilet paper etc.

Good points here. There are feedback loops - media sensationalises, people panic, media reports, people panic more. And yes our behaviour often makes situations worse.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Simple start is plenty of people can’t read a map and secondly probably don’t even own one.

Do they still sell Melways? But you make a good point about the internet generation not knowing how to survive without it. I'd go a step further and say most under 40, maybe even under 50, would struggle to do basic manual repairs around a house.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
That’s the old ‘more likely to be hit by lightning than attacked by a shark’ rationalisation kicking in. No comfort when you’re actually in the hot seat. And you may well be wrong.

There is no way known I’ll be attending in 10 days’ time, but each to their own.

You're having a bad run, LtRtR. First it was terror that stopped you attending now it's a virus.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I didn’t make my point well as I combined separate thoughts together.

Clearly large gatherings of people seems like it will lead to too much death in community as someone who doesn’t get overly effected can spread it to someone at high risk.

Separate thought is that media organisations will drive for ad revenue / sensationalise . I shouldn’t have put that in my other post as implied this is one of those situations.

Third thought is that when everyone reacts the same way it causes issues that wouldn’t exist if we didn’t go into this mode.... Whether it be a run on a bank, an over purchase of toilet paper etc.

To Antman’s point - yes everything is pretty brittle. What would the internet going down do? Simple start is plenty of people can’t read a map and secondly probably don’t even own one.

The bank runs are coming I reckon.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The bank runs are likely on the way too I reckon.

especially when the Libs get the $10k cash 2 years jail passed

giving the green light for negative interest rate

and the banks to send you a monthly bill for storing your money.

gold has done about 40% in under a year, partially for this reason, but mostly because everyone knows the global economy is a house of cards in a cyclone

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
You're having a bad run, LtRtR. First it was terror that stopped you attending now it's a virus.

I'm not preventing anyone else from going, even if I don't think it's terribly wise. Make your own decision.

Bit risky though, posting stuff that might come back to bite you given the number of unknowns.

Do you reckon security will still frisk everyone going through the gate? How long until one of the guards gets infected and starts passing it on?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Indian Wells Tennis Tournament cancelled, Bharain Grand Prix with no fans, Soccer games in Italy played to empty stadiums, schools closed yet we have 86,000 at Cricket T20 Cup, Melbourne Grand Prix to go ahead, people flocking to Moomba.

What will AFL do??

Is anyone imposing a self ban from attending round 1 vs Carlton?

Not me, will just avoid high fiving, hugging and the spitting Carlton supporters.

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Is anyone imposing a self ban from attending round 1 vs Carlton?

Not me, will just avoid high fiving, hugging and the spitting Carlton supporters.

I was thinking about this and wondered if the steaming hot pie in my spit would kill a virus?

I reckon I'd hug someone with ebola bleeding out their eyeballs after a Danny Rioli goal, or a Marlion blind turn, or a $hai skyscraper.

thats what I love about being at the footy with 70,000 people as mental as me (well, probably 10,000)

its pure abandon and joy and love and hate and a reckless raw passion.

I dont really feel that feeling anywhere else.

im not gonna sit in front of the TV with a mask on. *smile* that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Shame on us! Shame on every media organisation!

The WHO is a puppet regime (think IOC) and (to be honest) this is the most blatant form of FAKE news you have seen in 20years!!!

Please do some basic research.

Think normal influenza and then ask yourself why the panic??

Can you believe - people are actually fighting for toilet paper (made in Australia and readily re-supplied!!!) LOL!!! Fair dinkum this is Darwinism!!!

If the idiots were buying water, tinned food, medicines I would tolerate it - but toilet paper???? BWAAAAAA HA HA (you idiots!!!)
So right ,the over reaction is a absolute media disgrace,please please please bring reprisals onto main stream media for their self serving lies ,with Chinese figures removed it's even less than common flu,the most stupid and dumb and iq challenged a reacting according to their brain power,I will change nothing as I wash my hands extremely regularly and never ever touch my mouth with inside of my hands.Go Tigers

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

This has a good explanation for those that want a blt more information. All in laymans terms so it's easy to understand

That article must be wrong, no mention of toilet paper hoarding anywhere.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Don't forget rampaging African gangs coming to steal his toilet paper. It's a wonder Lee's brave enough to stop out of the house.

• Haha

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Don't forget rampaging African gangs coming to steal his toilet paper. It's a wonder Lee's brave enough to stop out of the house.

I've had the flu (or symptoms of) for the last 11 days and am sweating like a rapist. Where do you live? I'll bring over a slab and we'll see if you're brave enough to sit and have a few beers.

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
I've had the flu (or symptoms of) for the last 11 days and am sweating like a rapist. Where do you live? I'll bring over a slab and we'll see if you're brave enough to sit and have a few beers.
Looks like you should be fine for the footy season!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

If you make it to Jakarta I might even swing down to share that slab with the two of you.

• Haha

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
When in town North Altona or Pascoe Vale South, but I'm in the depths of coronavirus infested Southeast Asia now. They do temperature checks whenever you enter the building for all the good that does. I've had an itchy throat for a week now so wondering if I'm one of those asymptomatic sufferers myself. Good luck getting the slab through customs.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Fremantle Dockers player tested for coronavirus
A Fremantle Dockers player has been sent for tests amid fears he may have been exposed to coronavirus.

Sources have confirmed to The Age that the Dockers player - whose identity has not yet been revealed - has been tested after being in contact recently with someone in China.

The AFL is set to talk to clubs on Tuesday about coronavirus-related issues having already relocated this year's St Kilda-Port Adelaide match.

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
especially when the Libs get the $10k cash 2 years jail passed

giving the green light for negative interest rate

and the banks to send you a monthly bill for storing your money.

gold has done about 40% in under a year, partially for this reason, but mostly because everyone knows the global economy is a house of cards in a cyclone

The volatility of the markets is staggering. I woke up this morning and the price of spot gold was up by $116 AUD per ounce.
I thought I was tripping out!!
There was a sharp correction as the day went on but it still highlights the crazy and fragile state of the global economy.