Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
ATAGI at its finest again.

I had mine brought forward because I’ve got a bunch of surgeries that will lay me up in hospital and then be immobile at home for months. Pfizer booster. Antenna on head now picks up Foxtel. (y)

Hope your surgeries & recovery go well Redders.
You should change the antenna & try for Kayo :cool:

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
If this isn't a clear message to get vaccines to countries who have not had the opportunity to vaccinate their populations I don't know what is.

If the rich countries continue to vaccinate our populations and leave the poorer countries unvaccinated then mutations will happen and will reach the rich countries. Australia can only manufacture AZ but we should be making as much as we can and giving it away, countries which can make Pfizer, Moderna etc should also be doing the same.

DS

Reactions: 8 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
wouldn't the world be better off getting Africa and Asia double dosed,

before all the rich white people get triple dosed?

or are rich white people gonna clean their own dunnys?

'Global Health' is being exposed as the leaf-blower that it is.

We are only really globalised when it comes to the one-way exploitation of culture, resources, labour etc.

when it comes to health, we are very much nationalised
Yep. I wonder how many vaccine doses have had to be binned?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
ATAGI at its finest again.

I had mine brought forward because I’ve got a bunch of surgeries that will lay me up in hospital and then be immobile at home for months. Pfizer booster. Antenna on head now picks up Foxtel. (y)
Glad you got bumped up the list and good luck with your surgeries.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
We have. Hunt spoke about it at a press conference a few days ago saying people can get boosters and mail will go out this week about it. I dont know any other details.

That seems to indicate boosters are still at 6 months.

• Sad

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Victorian prison guard who refused jab dies with Covid​

A Port Phillip Prison officer who was set to lose his job after he declined to be vaccinated has died with Covid.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
wouldn't the world be better off getting Africa and Asia double dosed,

before all the rich white people get triple dosed?
Until we all understand that this is GLOBAL pandemic and that until the rich countries invest far more than they are now in vaccinating the poorer countries then COVID will go on and we will get mutations again and again

We simply must support the WHO program of vaccinating poorer countries with way more urgency than is happening now

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Until we all understand that this is GLOBAL pandemic and that until the rich countries invest far more than they are now in vaccinating the poorer countries then COVID will go on and we will get mutations again and again

We simply must support the WHO program of vaccinating poorer countries with way more urgency than is happening now

yep.

but what hope is there of international co-operation, when NSW and Queensland can't even work together?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Victorian prison guard who refused jab dies with Covid​

A Port Phillip Prison officer who was set to lose his job after he declined to be vaccinated has died with Covid.

Jesus,

wonder if hes anti-embalming?

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005

I don’t get this logic from a mutation perspective, but I don’t disagree from a preservation of life perspective.

A virus more likely to survive is one that is contagious and also one that doesn’t kill its host quickly. Mutations aren’t necessarily worse (assuming vaccines still prevent serious health effects)

I have a view the COVID will be / is becoming endemic so everyone on the planet is likely to get it at some stage. I’m not sure how vaccination stops mutation if you agree with it becoming endemic. It maybe takes a bit longer to become endemic but it will get the same number of bodies to mutate in over time irrespective of vaccine roll out. I’ve also seen the other argument that because you still get Covid with a vaccine, it’s the vaccinated who are more likely to generate mutations that are resistant to vaccination.

It’s may be semantics but I think the WHY is important and the WHY should be to save lives of those who don’t even have access to the vaccine.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I don’t get this logic from a mutation perspective, but I don’t disagree from a preservation of life perspective.

A virus more likely to survive is one that is contagious and also one that doesn’t kill its host quickly. Mutations aren’t necessarily worse (assuming vaccines still prevent serious health effects)

I have a view the COVID will be / is becoming endemic so everyone on the planet is likely to get it at some stage. I’m not sure how vaccination stops mutation if you agree with it becoming endemic. It maybe takes a bit longer to become endemic but it will get the same number of bodies to mutate in over time irrespective of vaccine roll out. I’ve also seen the other argument that because you still get Covid with a vaccine, it’s the vaccinated who are more likely to generate mutations that are resistant to vaccination.

It’s may be semantics but I think the WHY is important and the WHY should be to save lives of those who don’t even have access to the vaccine.
I'm no epidemiologist but what was said to me is that if the African countries where Omicron started had vaccination rates of 80-90% there would have been far less COVID circulating and the chances of a mutation are reduced.

Reactions: 1 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
I'm no epidemiologist but what was said to me is that if the African countries where Omicron started had vaccination rates of 80-90% there would have been far less COVID circulating and the chances of a mutation are reduced.

Yep agree with that. I’m looking at it over a longer time frame. If everyone gets it it will keep mutating like the flu. We are just bringing mutations forward in time but not more mutations overall.

My view is that is we should be driven by humanitarian reasons not mutation reasons (which seem a little more about self interest to me - but maybe that will help get the job done though!).

I’m no epidemiologist either. But my dabbling in chem eng and process control makes me thinks about integrals.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yep agree with that. I’m looking at it over a longer time frame. If everyone gets it it will keep mutating like the flu. We are just bringing mutations forward in time but not more mutations overall.

My view is that is we should be driven by humanitarian reasons not mutation reasons (which seem a little more about self interest to me - but maybe that will help get the job done though!).

I’m no epidemiologist either. But my dabbling in chem eng and process control makes me thinks about integrals.
yes

100% agree this is firstly about a humanitarian response, we can save countless lives in poorer countries by getting them vaccinated quickly. However I have become very cynical about things getting done for humanitarian reasons in this world and now believe that self preservation and preservation of lifestyle carries far more weight as an incentive to do something in rich countries like Australia ( and many others).

Maybe I am too cynical but I don't think so.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
So I did some more reading. My takeaway is that when you vaccinate, you want to do the whole population quickly. The risk of generating vaccine resistant strains is when you vaccinate slowly.

So the mutations in low vaccination counties are way less likely to be vaccine resistant

America will be the birthplace of the problems from my read.

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
I don't see Botswana or Namibia as a poor countries. South Africa should not be a poor country but tribalism divisions and corruption keep that country down sadly .
Bots ordered a lot of Moderna vaccines months ago we had to pay above-market prices ( which seems to be the case with African countries who want to order the Vaccines ) that order to the allocated to Bots went to the EU . Still waiting here . China gives the first dose of Sinovac free to African countries .. and is winning the hearts and minds of people here .
No wonder ppl here are wary of the west .

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I don't see Botswana or Namibia as a poor countries. South Africa should not be a poor country but tribalism divisions and corruption keep that country down sadly .
Bots ordered a lot of Moderna vaccines months ago we had to pay above-market prices ( which seems to be the case with African countries who want to order the Vaccines ) that order to the allocated to Bots went to the EU . Still waiting here . China gives the first dose of Sinovac free to African countries .. and is winning the hearts and minds of people here .
No wonder ppl here are wary of the west .

African countries always get a sh!t deal, pay overs and then they postpone the delivery. Botswana should sue. Not sure exactly how Botswana is going now but I remember many years ago I taught development theory in a Masters course and I used to ask which 3rd world country had the highest growth rate from, I think, about 1965 to 1980 - the answer was Botswana. Small population, exporting diamonds, did well for a while but disadvantages such as small population again, but also landlocked so there are issues. Must go there one day, have been to South Africa (3 months in Jo'burg, and what a pleasant place it is!) many years ago.

Of course, if there's money to be made, Africa suddenly becomes out Indian Ocean neighbour.

DS

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005

I’m promoting myself to amateur self big-noting *smile* with no qualifications epidemiologist.

Dwight would be proud. Maybe I can be secret assistant manager to the assistant manager.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Got a mate who's a Director of nursing in Melbs & he says covid is pretty rife in Melbourne & the case numbers aren't really telling the story because so many vaccinated people aren't bothering to get tested as their symptoms are so slight. That said I have a couple of friends who are stubbornly refusing to get jabbed & I genuinely worry for them & their families as it roars through.