Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Problem is though BT, of those 95% there’s gonna be a fair % that have decreased efficacy ie those in 4 to 6 month range post 2nd shot.

Early research seems to suggest there’s a significant decrease in effectiveness where Omicron+wane is concerned. This is why the UK are pleading for people to get boosters right now and why ATAGI pivoted last week to a 5 month gap between 2nd and booster.

Certainly a far better base though to be dealing with it than the UK, Europe, USA etc. is that’s for sure.

Gotta ramp up the booster program now so we can roll to longer term efficacy and then maybe rely on anti virals from there on in

Yes I've heard it's particularly pertinent for those with 2 x AZ, which is largely the older (and riskier) population. Plus those Victorians who didn't want to wait for Pfizer after NSW was prioritised.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
On a more “positive” front, seems Pfizer is saying today that it’s anti viral pill is 90% effective in treating Covid and preventing hospitalisation - even for high risk patients with the disease. This includes the Omicron variant.

Wow.

Let’s get @Ian4 ”on the pill” !!!!

that's amazing, very good news.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
that's amazing, very good news.
And I think, if memory serves me correctly, unlike the Federal Government’s disastrous handling of creating a vaccine deal with Pfizer and getting adequate supplies and getting them quickly, this time they’ve already signed a deal with them for supplies of Paxlovid.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Tomorrow is five months since my second Pfizer shot and I just booked online a Moderna booster for tomorrow.
We should have a booster party tomorrow then @spook :) where did you book to be able to get a next day booster? that's quick.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
You can get next day boosters all over the place. Dozens of pharmacies have them. My partner rang one up last Wednesday, just up the road from us. They had heaps of slots. She got her booster on Monday.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The boosters are going to be important. A lot of talk about mixing vaccines and, although 2 x Pfizer and boost with Moderna is apparently better than 3 x Pfizer, the difference is small from what we know. 3 x Pfizer is very good, especially at keeping you out of hospital.

I had 2 x AZ so any 3rd dose will be very effective.

Don't know what is going on with case numbers, NSW going crazy but Vic still ahead - we just can't seem to get the numbers under NSW no matter what happens - NSW: 1,360 and Vic: 1,405 - have they been sending their virus over to us again? Mind you, the rate of increase in NSW is scary, hope the hospitals can cope as that is a hell of an increase in 2 days.

DS

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We gotta go hard with the booster program, get the country 3x’ed, get the 500,000 Pax doses from Pfizer, see ourselves through the next 6 months which by then, we hopefully have further improved vaccines and anti virals, and reach an endemic stage - just as Bill Gates has predicted for some point in time throughout 2022.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The boosters are going to be important. A lot of talk about mixing vaccines and, although 2 x Pfizer and boost with Moderna is apparently better than 3 x Pfizer, the difference is small from what we know. 3 x Pfizer is very good, especially at keeping you out of hospital.

I had 2 x AZ so any 3rd dose will be very effective.

Don't know what is going on with case numbers, NSW going crazy but Vic still ahead - we just can't seem to get the numbers under NSW no matter what happens - NSW: 1,360 and Vic: 1,405 - have they been sending their virus over to us again? Mind you, the rate of increase in NSW is scary, hope the hospitals can cope as that is a hell of an increase in 2 days.

DS
Yeh, apparently 200 cases of the 800 yesterday in NSW from one nightclub/pub? Ref rate over 1.5. Only 21 in ICU as of yesterday (we have 80 odd in VIC?) but you imagine that will increase.

Looks like a lot of xmas plans will be changed. My Sydney cricket test trip looks like it is off.

Stay out of indoor venues should be the messaging. Bit hard to see young people choosing not to go out to nightclubs and pubs after so long under the restrictions.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Ok, so my partner has returned a second negative test. She has to return a day 6 negative test on Thursday to be automatically released on Friday. My release date is Saturday. I don't need to return a negative test. I just have to await clearance from the DHHS.

If you want evidence the vaccine works, go no further than my partner. We were intimate while I was unknowingly infectious, and she is still negative.

I am truly blown away by the effectiveness of vaccines. I reckon I have gone from being strongly pro-vax to militant pro-vax in a matter of days.

good luck Ian... I was at the Brisbane Victory game but so far so good for me - didn't go to the Perth game. Also I don't partake of the active supporters area these days... guessing that's where you might have been exposed?

Will keep my fingers crossed for you.

No, I wasn't in the active area. I sat in a quiet bay a couple of bays over from the South End.

Think the most frustrating part of the current situation is that despite being vaccinated you still have to quarantine if you're tested as positive.
That's going to stop a lot of vaccinated people getting tested. They'll just push through the illness & carry on with their lives.
There's just that many loopholes & inconsistencies now that people will just stop listening to the health officials.
We're at the let it rip point & unfortunately there will be casualties. The only thing you can do is protect yourself as best as possible.
If vaccination isn't our way out of this as was sold to us then what is?

My release date is Saturday. That would be 13 days since the day I believe I was infected. I 100% agree it's too long. I am almost certainly not infectious today.

It's also interesting to note that everyone on a flight from Newcastle to Queensland has to quarantine for 14 days due to a case being on a flight. That is ridiculous.

Maybe someone from QLD can elaborate a little for us, but I believe the Queensland government are changing their quarantine rules on January 1?

I am flying to FNQ on January 12, and I don't wanna risk quarantine if a case is on my flight...

Reactions: 6 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
From the VIC Health website for yesterday

94.2 per cent of Victorians aged 12 and over have now had at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and 92.1 per cent have had two doses. This excludes the most recent Commonwealth data.

There are 364 COVID-19 cases in hospital in Victoria – 80 active cases in ICU, with 44 of those on a ventilator. There are an additional 39 cleared cases in ICU. Of those in hospital yesterday, 61 per cent were not fully vaccinated, while 94 per cent of those in ICU were not fully vaccinated. Of those admitted to ICU during December, 69 per cent were aged over 50. Of those, 74 per cent were not fully vaccinated.

So of the 364 people in hospital 222 not fully vaxed. Should be more like 8% or 29 if vaccines didn't work. And 75 of the 80 in ICU are not fully vaxed. Should be more like 6. Crazy increase in your risk of hospitalisation and ICU by not being vaccinated.

How does an anti-vaxxer argue against the overwhelming stats?

Reactions: 3 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Omicron is exploding in NSW, but they are on the cusp of 95% double dose which is encouraging.

I have a feeling that NSW Health may be using the Omicron to blame for the increases in cases there.
25 Omicron cases today of a total of 1360, 21 Omicron of 804 yesterday. Omicron +4 from yesterday, Delta +556

They are rightly concerned about some possible Omicron cluster/spreader events, but I feel that relaxing of restrictions have caused the much larger increase in Delta cases.
I don't think they've quite got the timing right on easing restrictions for unvaccinated

Reactions: 2 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
I don't think they've quite got the timing right on easing restrictions for unvaccinated
no they haven't ... it's giving the unvaccinated some leverage and they'll love that ..

... but it may turn around and bite them ...

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We should have a booster party tomorrow then @spook :) where did you book to be able to get a next day booster? that's quick.
Ballina.

I've just come from coffee at Ezy's, he tells me Byron is a covid petri dish of schoolies, so I'm steering clear for the time being.

• Wow