Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
"In May I think the world will be very different...we might all be in a situation where we're dealing with a pandemic...where there'll be as many cases in Australia as everywhere else in the world." - Dr Bruce Sutton : Victorian Chief Health Officer

He thinks this is likely?

At what point does he advise stockpiling?

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
75,677 cases
2,123 deaths (2.81%)
12,064 severe (16%)
45,148 mild (60%)
16,342 recovered (22%)

Not many new cases reported today (+479) so there may be more data to come. (Edit: It seems they are screwing around with the definitions again, for who-knows-what purpose. I'll focus on the case count outside China from this point.)

Iran reporting 2 cases/2 deaths.

621 aboard Diamond Princess
503 rest of the world

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The Eugenics debate in the UK - some nutters are saying that only Chinese people can die from COVID as a justification for racial differences.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Case count excluding China/Diamond Princess (updated 11pm)

717 cases
12 deaths (1.67%)
22 severe (3%)
478 mild (67%)
205 recovered (29%)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Been a significant spike in cases in the South Korean city of Daegu. This is no longer contained to China.

Also one of the Diamond Princess evacuees who was cleared in Japan as negative, has been confirmed as positive on returning to Australia adding credence to the theory that people can be asymptomatic.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Interview here

Picks up about @1.47.30 is where the Dr makes his prediction. Bear in mind this fella is the highest credentialed Doctor in Victoria..I take it pretty seriously what he says.
As an aside he is not the highest credentialed doctor in the state. Doctors who take these roles have usually been been medical administrators, for example the chief medical officer of the commonwealth is the ex CEO of The Austin.
That being said they are doctors and hopefully they are getting and using the best advice that would be coming from infectious diseases experts so we should take it seriously. However that is one scenario and whilst it is possible so is the opposite where it peaks and then reduces soon.
The concern is that evidently a key difference between this virus and SARS is that it has a much longer incubation period which makes the isolation of people who have potentially been in contact with carriers so important which is why travel bans etc are so important.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Opening the doors when there are so many unknowns would to me be an admission that authorities can't contain it. I've been out this morning to bulk purchase a few things. Just in case.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
As an aside he is not the highest credentialed doctor in the state. Doctors who take these roles have usually been been medical administrators, for example the chief medical officer of the commonwealth is the ex CEO of The Austin.
That being said they are doctors and hopefully they are getting and using the best advice that would be coming from infectious diseases experts so we should take it seriously. However that is one scenario and whilst it is possible so is the opposite where it peaks and then reduces soon.
The concern is that evidently a key difference between this virus and SARS is that it has a much longer incubation period which makes the isolation of people who have potentially been in contact with carriers so important which is why travel bans etc are so important.

Appreciate the POV. Was just repeating what Epstein said.
FYI he looks pretty damn well qualified.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Appreciate the POV. Was just repeating what Epstein said.
FYI he looks pretty damn well qualified.
Sure they are well qualified but the best credentialed doctors in particular medical specialties are working in clinical practice is my point not working as medical administrators. Put it this way, if I was given medical advice related to a coronavirus by the chief medical officer of the state and also by the head of infectious diseases at a major hospital and they were different I would definitely take the advice of the 2nd one in preference.
But hopefully it’s moot because the best medical advice is being given to our medical authorities by those who are experts in this field.