Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
You sure those observations are correct?

Are they measuring this constantly or only once a minute or even, horror of horrors, at the same time every day?

Surely there must be another cause for these illnesses, is this the fingerprint of COVID-19 or is that just a theory?

Maybe the immunologists are just conspiring together to create a panic and increase their research funding.

I think I should go and check some "COVID-19 skeptic" sites and see if there's some irrational and baseless explanation I can peddle.

After all, we shouldn't believe experts or scientists should we?

DS

Hmm, I wonder if there is some way of measuring this using a satellite, might conveniently give us a different set of numbers.

My 9 year old son has been displaying levels of immaturity that have been concerning me.

Going by this post, he’s actually doing ok.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Case count excluding China/Diamond Princess (updated 11:40pm)

2,500 cases
51 deaths (2.04%)
70 severe (3%)
2,084 mild (83%)
295 recovered (12%)

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I am confident our services will handle this but there will be cracks. My wife is talking about stocking up at home.

I wouldn't be confident. You need an iron fist control over people to contain this, western societies civil liberties prevent that control.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I am confident our services will handle this but there will be cracks. My wife is talking about stocking up at home.
Medical services are one thing but it's the impact on day-to-day life that is potentially enormous. I see no point going to the footy while having to wear a mask. If we get to an Italy or South Korea situation I'll be watching on TV.
I wouldn't be confident. You need an iron fist control over people to contain this, western societies civil liberties prevent that control.
How do you tell someone living hand-to-mouth that they have to take the day off work if they have the sniffles? Or 14 days?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Medical services are one thing but it's the impact on day-to-day life that is potentially enormous. I see no point going to the footy while having to wear a mask. If we get to an Italy or South Korea situation I'll be watching on TV.
one positive, it will make it harder to prove who called an umpire a yellow glow worm.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
How do you tell someone living hand-to-mouth that they have to take the day off work if they have the sniffles? Or 14 days?

That's my point. Where I am they do. The rights of the individual are secondary to whats the best thing for society/the population/the country.

If you are identified as a contact (i.e. had close contact with someone who has been infected), you're locked in your home for up to 14 days from the contact. They supply you basic food and necessities. They video conf you 3 times a day to ensure you are in your apartment. If you're caught outside of the apartment it's an automatic 10k fine.

With cameras everywhere and laws that don't give you the right to not answer questions, they are able to contain it better than most countries.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Just hope if & when it gets here that it doesn't affect the footy season like it has in some countries already like Serie A in Italy & the K League in South Korea which have had games stopped.

The government needs to continue to be very vigilant because I'm thinking/guessing that if the CV is going to take hold in Australia it will in the colder months when people are more susceptible to flu type illnesses.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Bit like Iran's deputy health minister IRL - conducts a press conference to deny the government is lying about the extent of the disease while sweating profusely - next day tests positive to the virus.

At least he's not afraid to get in and get his hands dirty.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL games, Grand Prix 'could be cancelled' over virus
Ellen Whinnett & Peter Rolfe
Herald Sun
February 26, 2020

The federal government would consider cancelling events with big crowds such as AFL matches if Australia experienced a major outbreak of the deadly coronavirus, Health Minister Greg Hunt has confirmed.

But it would come only as a last resort.

The government is bracing for the World Health Organisation to declare within days that the coronavirus crisis has reached pandemic stage, meaning ongoing outbreaks in multiple countries.

While the virus is currently contained in Australia and there has been no person-to-person transmission here, the government has activated its pandemic plans, including the potential to stop people congregating in large numbers.

Asked if this could affect events such as AFL matches, Mr Hunt said: “The possibility of events is always there, but that is a last resort”.

He said the government would implement “rings of containment’’, starting with individuals, then families, then “affected units.’’

“If we can contain those, then we can limit the impact,’’ he said.

“What we’ve done, as you would hope that a government would do, is prepare for all eventualities, but so far, in Australia, we have contained the virus.’’

AFL and Australian Grand Prix chiefs are expected to plough ahead with plans to host major events in Melbourne in coming weeks, unless told otherwise.

The AFL on Wednesday night declined to comment on the issue.

Melbourne Grand Prix chief executive Andrew Westacott said the health and safety of everyone at next month’s Albert Park race was “paramount”.

“The Australian Grand Prix Corporation has robust health, safety and emergency management arrangements in place at each event,’’ he said.

“And we will continue to work collaboratively with health agencies and related government and emergency services organisations in addressing this matter.

“We continue to closely monitor the situation in the lead-up to the Grand Prix and will take guidance from subject matter experts, including Victorian and National Chief Health Officers.”

It comes after the Chinese Formula One Grand Prix was cancelled, speculation the Vietnam GP could follow suit and Italian-based Ferrari faces logistic problems to export its staff and infrastructure.

Soccer matches in Italy and Japan were this week cancelled amid growing concerns about the virus.

The AFL is also yet to confirm whether a May 31 match between St Kilda and Port Adelaide in Shanghai will go ahead.

International Olympic Committee member *smile* Pound on Wednesday said the Games were more likely to be cancelled than postponed or moved if it proves too dangerous to hold them.

Tokyo Olympics organisers have declared preparations were “continuing as planned” for the proposed late July start.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/v...s/news-story/a0ab8dd2d991da580e74c3c4b5f61cb1 (paywalled)

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Asked if this could affect events such as AFL matches, Mr Hunt said: “The possibility of events is always there, but that is a last resort”.

Fingers & toes crossed our beloved footy isn't impacted.
However the way cases are now starting to pop up all over the world every minute, the start of round 1 seems like an eternity away.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yes, they are measured by Tim Flannery piloting a NASA satellite in orbit around your fat ****en head. Foolproof they are.

Imbecile.

I see, its fine for you to question science and observations on climate change, but a little satirical post sends you over the edge.

Hypocrite.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Fingers & toes crossed our beloved footy isn't impacted.
However the way cases are now starting to pop up all over the world every minute, the start of round 1 seems like an eternity away.

Reckon the journo's went looking for a headline. But the possibility has been officially tabled, even if the AFL won't speak.

Victoria is broke and can't afford to can the GP. Think it will go ahead regardless.