Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
You just don't like people being able to express their political opinions in public. Can't say I'm surprised.

I figure you would be the one encouraging tear gas and bullets when those terrible East Berliners started damaging the lawfully built wall 41 years ago.

Go ahead and protest ya selfish bastard, maybe someone who’s grieving will knock your teeth in.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
At no point did I advocate protesting.

I'm advocating calm. You're obsessed with 'sides'. You continually put everyone in opposition, then try to fan the flames. You're like the five year old in the school yard yelling 'fight'.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
a mate of mine got on a Rio Tinto charter flight from Perth to Broome yesterday.

He had to go through a private RT Covid clinic at the airport,

he had to deposit his phone at the entrance (i.e. no social media)

they took a blood sample, put it in a machine and told him in 5 minutes,

he was free of ALL viruses.

then he got on a qantas jumbo, with 4 (four) other blokes.

he had 3 flight attendants attending him.

the whole experience completely freaked him out

I know the iron ore price is up, but how does this work?

further, why not do these 5 minute tests at the borders and let clear people move?

Reactions: 1 user

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
It works because Australia needs the revenue to continue as good as normal.
In WA Mining never slowed down. Revenue.
Oil and Gas never stopped. Power supply for domestic and international and revenue.
A flight to Broome is cheaper than delying an ore train or an oil/gas ship, it was probably also full of paid for cargo.
WA now has no internal borders so travel to Broome as of yesterday will be back to normal sort of. The Kimberley was subject to a stricter border to protect communities. Qantas is yet to reinstate normal flights so charters may still need to be used for industry.
McGovern has done a great job in WA.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
It's simple conflict resolution. It's not about who's in the right and who's in the wrong. In heated situations you take action to de-escalate.

At least sensible people do. You just want to buy bullets, cuff and drag, and get shooting.
Sensible people follow the law and dont justify breaking it.
No one is in the wrong if they dont turn up to a protest when they shouldnt, remember the Covid thing going on?
You just want to create civil disobedience by justifying others to break the law.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
All the medical officers and national and state leaders are strongly advising against attending protests this weekend and during the ongoing pandemic. It is an unacceptable and totally avoidable risk which has the potential to spike another outbreak in this deadly disease.

We have come so far and done so well in containing this outbreak; at great cost to many people. An avoidable outbreak would be extremely disappointing and undo all of the efforts to date.

I truly hope that people heed the advice of the medical officers. I truly fear they will not.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I'm advocating calm. You're obsessed with 'sides'. You continually put everyone in opposition, then try to fan the flames. You're like the five year old in the school yard yelling 'fight'.

Protesters are acting in opposition to the rest of us. I take it your support is conditional on them not distributing corona your way.
Victoria’s Chief Health Officer has urged organisers of tomorrow’s planned protest to cancel the illegal event.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/corona...e/news-story/bd8a73c973f2eaac770ff7715a459faa

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The treatment of indigenous Australians in police custody and deaths in custody.

Aboriginal deaths in custody, last decade:

2010 - 22
2011 - 11
2012 - 17
2013 - 13
2014 - 13
2015 - 18
2016 - 17
2017 - 11
2018 - 8
2019 - 5
2020 - 2

Sources
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abori... the Indigenous,or were in protective custody.
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...s-australians-have-died-in-custody-since-2008

IMO this issue is not so urgent as to necessitate a public gathering at this exact point in time, but everyone is of course entitled to form their own view.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Common sense lives.
Incoming police chief Shane Patton says protest organisers will be fined if tomorrow’s planned protest goes ahead.

The deputy chief commissioner said he hopes the event does not go ahead, but police will be focused on maintaining a peaceful event.

“But people have to be held accountable for their actions,” he said.

“We will issue infringements to the organisers,” he said.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/corona...e/news-story/bd8a73c973f2eaac770ff7715a459faa

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Sensible people follow the law and dont justify breaking it.
No one is in the wrong if they dont turn up to a protest when they shouldnt, remember the Covid thing going on?
You just want to create civil disobedience by justifying others to break the law.

Again. Read anything I wrote where I asked anyone to break a law.

All I have ever said is the answer to raised tensions is not raising tensions.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Protesters are acting in opposition to the rest of us. I take it your support is conditional on them not distributing corona your way.

What support? I think there needs to be societal change in the states about the treatment and, moreover apathy towards the murder of, black people. I think there are analogous issues here.

You ask if I would be upset if they caused me or mine to get Covid? Yep. I'd also be upset if myself or my loved ones were killed at the hands of a cop.

Tensions are high. Large scale protests/gatherings are a terrible idea right now. People should be discouraged from them. But for some people this is a choice between risking unnessecary death or letting unnecessary death continue. It's leading to really high emotion, high stress and tension.

Your solution is bullets and aggravation. I'm saying calm, recognition, and communication.

BTW, I didn't hear you getting upset about large scale protests of rednecks who missed going to the beach.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
What support? I think there needs to be societal change in the states about the treatment and, moreover apathy towards the murder of, black people. I think there are analogous issues here.

Do you think authorities should allow the protest to proceed at this time, or not?
BTW, I didn't hear you getting upset about large scale protests of rednecks who missed going to the beach.
100 people. Arrests and fines ensued.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...rs-ignore-police-warning-20200510-p54rj7.html

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Do you think authorities should allow the protest to proceed at this time, or not?

100 people. Arrests and fines ensued.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...rs-ignore-police-warning-20200510-p54rj7.html

To be honest I'm not sure they have a choice, they are saying don't do it but they know people will show upto the protest anyway. They are trying to put pressure onto the organisers by saying they will fine them instead of individual fines. I agree around the individual fines, a peaceful protest doesn't need a lot to turn it from peaceful to violent particularly when they are filled with so much emotion as the protests are right now.

I agree that I would prefer these not to go ahead, they threaten destroying all we have stayed home to protect against and this could have a major impact on our ongoing economy if it causes a jump in cases, but at times you have to be realistic, the protestors are likely to defy the warnings, if they can reduce that significantly from the expected 30k then great there will still be a significant number, being told no when asking for names and addresses, and then trying to physically restrain them will not do as you say and disperse them, quite the opposite, it will escalate the situation which is already emotion charged and likely lead to increased violence.