Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
How do you reconcile Pat Turner's support for the protest, voiced today, with her comments in March?

Indigenous leaders warn 'if coronavirus gets into our communities, we are gone'

Presumably this is a respected indigenous voice.

I don't think it's very smart, on several fronts.

I agree its not a smart move, but the emotion around this right now is so high, there is little the authorities can do to stop it at this stage. They have all been very clear not to show up, but ultimately people will make their own minds up about what they choose to do.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
a mate of mine got on a Rio Tinto charter flight from Perth to Broome yesterday.

He had to go through a private RT Covid clinic at the airport,

he had to deposit his phone at the entrance (i.e. no social media)

they took a blood sample, put it in a machine and told him in 5 minutes,

he was free of ALL viruses.

then he got on a qantas jumbo, with 4 (four) other blokes.

he had 3 flight attendants attending him.

the whole experience completely freaked him out

I know the iron ore price is up, but how does this work?

further, why not do these 5 minute tests at the borders and let clear people move?

pretty clever test that can determine you are free of all viruses!

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
How do you reconcile Pat Turner's support for the protest, voiced today, with her comments in March?

Indigenous leaders warn 'if coronavirus gets into our communities, we are gone'

Presumably this is a respected indigenous voice.

I don't think it's very smart, on several fronts.
Marcia Langton (I'm not a huge fan of hers but she is well respected):
While 56 Aboriginal Australians had tested positive to COVID-19 so far, with no deaths, "hundreds of Aboriginal people have died in custody," she said.

"We have had 432 deaths that we know of and still counting because not all the data before 2008 is available from deaths in custody ... I will remind the Prime Minister that the last Minister for Indigenous Affairs refused to put reducing the Aboriginal incarceration rates as a national priority."

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Marcia Langton (I'm not a huge fan of hers but she is well respected):
While 56 Aboriginal Australians had tested positive to COVID-19 so far, with no deaths, "hundreds of Aboriginal people have died in custody," she said.

The elders may not fare as well statistically if it gets into communities, leaving them rudderless. It's an uncontrolled situation.
"the last Minister for Indigenous Affairs refused to put reducing the Aboriginal incarceration rates as a national priority."

Quotas in any form are the devil.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Meanwhile 30,000 people have registered interest in attending a protest rally outside state parliament on the weekend. Surely not :( This has the potential to undo everything we have achieved in containing this virus up until now. This has the potential to cause an explosion in the virus and that would be disastrous.

I really hope that's not the case but have grave concerns. The virus is still out there. No way you can achieve physical distancing in a crowd of 30,000 people.

Absolute madness.
Understand the reasons they're protesting & largely agree but sheer stupidity to form a mass gathering during a pandemic.
Especially when many of the protesting group are likely to be affected if there's a sudden spike in cases.
Black lives matter? No doubt but the behaviour of these people will be putting all lives at risk.
This 'protest' does an important cause no favours.
Andrews should have done more to shut it down given what we have faced recently & sacrifices made by everyone.

Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Absolute madness.
Understand the reasons they're protesting & largely agree but sheer stupidity to form a mass gathering during a pandemic.
Especially when many of the protesting group are likely to be affected if there's a sudden spike in cases.
Black lives matter? No doubt but the behaviour of these people will be putting all lives at risk.
This 'protest' does an important cause no favours.
Andrews should have done more to shut it down given what we have faced recently & sacrifices made by everyone.

Correct Victoria is still in a State of emergency, people can show their support in other ways to do otherwise is just total ignorance and irresponosible IMO

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Aboriginal deaths in custody, last decade:

2010 - 22
2011 - 11
2012 - 17
2013 - 13
2014 - 13
2015 - 18
2016 - 17
2017 - 11
2018 - 8
2019 - 5
2020 - 2

Sources
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abori... the Indigenous,or were in protective custody.
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...s-australians-have-died-in-custody-since-2008

IMO this issue is not so urgent as to necessitate a public gathering at this exact point in time, but everyone is of course entitled to form their own view.
So whilst the figure “432 indigenous deaths in custody since 1991” is oft repeated the year on year numbers show a vast reduction, from a peak of 22 ten years ago down to 5 in 2019 and just 2 to date in 2020.

And more locally in Victoria it’s 4 in the last decade according to this Guardian link https://www.theguardian.com/austral...nside-indigenous-australian-deaths-in-custody Which makes for interesting reading when you click on individual cases

So progress is being made, good to see. I wonder why the media (both social and mainstream) aren’t highlighting this......

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
pretty clever test that can determine you are free of all viruses!

maybe its the same test they use to see if a cave is free of all ancient artefacts before they blow it up?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Victoria records no new coronavirus cases for first time since pandemic was declared

Just in time for the protest today. :(

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
IMO this issue is not so urgent as to necessitate a public gathering at this exact point in time, but everyone is of course entitled to form their own view.

2 Aboriginal deaths per year in custody is clearly too many. There should be none.
However I see today's expected congregation mainly as a protest towards a predominantly US problem, that's arisen in the wake of the enormous social media response to vision of George Floyd's horrible death at the hands of that cop.

It's ludicrous to hold a mass protest right now in Australia during a pandemic & not in our National interest.
The cause is important but the timing is just dumb, selfish & irresponsible.
Organisers must be charged & protesters moved on.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
This is interesting.

WHO changes recommendations on face masks in public spaces

The World Health Organisation has updated its guidance to recommend that governments ask people to wear fabric face masks in public places to curb the spread of the pandemic COVID-19 disease caused by the coronavirus.

The WHO says the widespread use of face masks or coverings by the general public is still not yet supported by high quality or direct scientific evidence.

But it says a growing amount of observational evidence from several countries that have ordered or recommended the wearing of masks, as well as the difficulty of social distancing in many settings, is enough for it to change its advice.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Victoria records no new coronavirus cases for first time since pandemic was declared

A bit of a worry when one of the woman organising the protest has previously said:

"f---Australia, hope it burns to the ground"

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
So whilst the figure “432 indigenous deaths in custody since 1991” is oft repeated the year on year numbers show a vast reduction, from a peak of 22 ten years ago down to 5 in 2019 and just 2 to date in 2020.

So progress is being made, good to see. I wonder why the media (both social and mainstream) aren’t highlighting this......
Surely Sky News would be? Then it gets picked up on the ABC for debate.

Last edited:

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

Yeah just saw that. And now we’ll see a protest with tens of thousands of people with the distinct possibility of a major outbreak.

The irony:rolleyes:

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
A bit of a worry when one of the woman organising the protest has previously said:

"f---Australia, hope it burns to the ground"
I think A Bolt has used that quote in a couple of dozen columns. Has she followed through with the threat yet? Maybe pin the summer fires on her?