Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
On the 7.30 report last night he said he'd taken complete responsibility for the breach & that was why he'd called for an independent enquiry as to how this happened.
I don't recall either of those things happening with the Princess situation. Both State & Federal Gov's passed the buck completely..
He at least has admitted to the screw up. They're now doing all they can to get on top of it. The interview is worth a watch.
Short of resigning for the error I'm not sure what people want. Maybe that's what many want?
Fair enough I didn't see that. That sounds promising and I don't want him to resign. But he needs to get on top of this and immediately remove control of the hotel quarantine and hand it to the military or some other body that actually knows what it's doing. If he is yet to do that then that is another blight on his management.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Personally I think Victoria and Australia have been lucky to a certain extent. We have done some things well, but have been very lax on others.
It wasn't all that long ago that thousands of people were coming in from overseas everyday, were just given a sheet of paper explaining COVID-19 and were sent on their way, they weren't even temperature tested.

Reactions: 1 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Fair enough I didn't see that. That sounds promising and I don't want him to resign. But he needs to get on top of this and immediately remove control of the hotel quarantine and hand it to the military or some other body that actually knows what it's doing. If he is yet to do that then that is another blight on his management.

He has no intention of changing according to his quote here.

I think he or Jenny will be resigning over this in time.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I asked the union question because I thought that might explain why they went with Private Security firms. But if they aren't unionised, then it makes no sense to choose them over military assistance that was available

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Wilson security are a pretty well renowned outfit, not some dodgy bros. The LNP use them plenty themselves.
Surely their protocols should be under the most scrutiny here?

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
On the 7.30 report last night he said he'd taken complete responsibility for the breach & that was why he'd called for an independent enquiry as to how this happened.
I don't recall either of those things happening with the Princess situation. Both State & Federal Gov's passed the buck completely..
He at least has admitted to the screw up. They're now doing all they can to get on top of it. The interview is worth a watch.
Short of resigning for the error I'm not sure what people want. Maybe that's what many want?
Sorry, Tooheys but he didn’t take “complete responsibility “ but in fact answered that it “wasn’t a question for the premier of the day to answer”.
Watching 7.30 Wednesday 1/7/2020 in iview
https://iview.abc.net.au/show/7-30/series/0/video/NC2001H103S00

MB78

Sep 8, 2009
Wilson security are a pretty well renowned outfit, not some dodgy bros. The LNP use them plenty themselves.

Baloo sums it up in the above post. You need to have the right training, protocols and discipline.

Who would you chose to protect you? ADF or security contractors?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

He has no intention of changing according to his quote here.

I think he or Jenny will be resigning over this in time.
If he is still engaging the security firms after all that happened well IMO that is complete negligence and both he and Mikakos will deserve whatever comes their way.

"Can't go back and change." What a load of horse *smile*.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Baloo sums it up in the above post. You need to have the right training, protocols and discipline.

Who would you chose to protect you? ADF or security contractors?

I've no idea of the process or what was pitched to who.
BTW I'm not excusing the error. Clearly a big one has been made here.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Absolutely they should be under scrutiny; massively.

However, it was the Andrews Govt decision to employ them at the taxpayers' expense. Ultimately it is a Govt decision. The Govt. manages the crisis. It is a massive *smile* up and Andrews needs to wear it.

MB78

Sep 8, 2009
If he is still engaging the security firms after all that happened well IMO that is complete negligence and both he and Mikakos will deserve whatever comes their way.

"Can't go back and change." What a load of horse *smile*.

He needs to reverse this decision now. If he doesn’t I think he won’t last in the top job.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Hardly matters if you admit or deny it, Victoria's Hotel quarantine has been ineptly handled and a stuff up of monumental proportions leaving us an outlier State and a bit of a laughing stock, (although it's no laughing matter).
Cedar meats another debacle and the cause of several of the present lockdown hotspots.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
This hotel security quarantine shemozzle has a whiff of the "pink batts" about it, very poorly controlled.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yet another reason for the government not to contract out to the private sector, their interest is profit and profit alone. The security industry is notorious for sub-contracting and it wouldn't surprise me if the security guards responsible for the Hotel quarantine were actually sub contractors.

The government needs to wear this, but so does the security industry. The government at least has the excuse that they engaged the security companies to do a job and the security companies said they could. I hope they are not paying the security companies, they did not fulfill their contracts.

As for leaving this to the security contractors, I have heard a few times over the last couple of days that the Victorian government is doing 2 things: no longer accepting travelers returning from overseas (for 2 weeks I think), and bringing in corrections to run the quarantine (not sure why corrections, but I suppose if they are available and capable?).

It will take time to get the latest outbreak down again but they are acting swiftly and I will be surprised if an outbreak doesn't appear somewhere else over the next few months.

DS

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
The government at least has the excuse that they engaged the security companies to do a job and the security companies said they could.

DS
No the Government does not have an excuse.

They should have gone down the path of using the ADF like all the other states.

As I said before - jobs for the boys.