Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
No the Government does not have an excuse.

They should have gone down the path of using the ADF like all the other states.

As I said before - jobs for the boys.

Note my words: excuse, not to be confused with "convincing explanation which absolves them of all responsibility".

Not jobs for the boys either, I wonder if the Health Department just followed their standard operating procedure from the days of privatising everything and automatically went for the private contractor?

DS

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Note my words: excuse, not to be confused with "convincing explanation which absolves them of all responsibility".

Not jobs for the boys either, I wonder if the Health Department just followed their standard operating procedure from the days of privatising everything and automatically went for the private contractor?

DS

I thought I read somewhere that someone was taking responsibility for the stuff up ;) looks like they are doing pass the buck just like the Ruby Princess:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I was looking for that one. Thanks Bad News Bear

I was more surprised about the suicide numbers. Didn't realise they were #1 in the world until this pesky little harmless flu arrived

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Wilson security are a pretty well renowned outfit, not some dodgy bros. The LNP use them plenty themselves.
Surely their protocols should be under the most scrutiny here?
The guard who was interviewed this morning said he was inducted by a bloke who normally runs the carpark side of Wilsons and that they hired in a whole lot of subbies. Most likely blokes whose previous experience was looking after the shopping trollies at Woolies. Dodgy as and they obviously thought they'd get away with it.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

DS
The decision to go with the ADF by other states was discussed at the National Cabinet. Why else would Andrews move away from this?
Regardless they are all now trying to pass the buck and the common folk are paying the price.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I thought I read somewhere that someone was taking responsibility for the stuff up ;) looks like they are doing pass the buck just like the Ruby Princess:

Funny, recall many saying Sutton was the best CHO in Aust as he was an expert in public health and disease. That the reason we had tighter restrictions was because he knew what he was doing. He was the virus expert. Personally think the buck stops with him more than Andrews. And also his deputy Annaliese offensive name. They would have been overseeing the quarantine program.

Unfortunately the end result will be the taxpayer funding higher costs for future similar programs due to increased regulation requirements. Perhaps they just need to engage people with common sense in the first place.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I doubt the CHO would have a say in the decision to use a private security firm or the ADF. Not within his remit.

Whoever decided to do it in the government wears this. Sure the security companies cut corners but that was to be expected. They would never have that many properly trained guards on their books ready to deploy in an instant. If the gov contract didn't stipulate exactly what qualifications, experience and handling of the quarantined, then it's a politician's head on the line.

Reactions: 7 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I doubt the CHO would have a say in the decision to use a private security firm or the ADF. Not within his remit.

Whoever decided to do it in the government wears this. Sure the security companies cut corners but that was to be expected. They would never have that many properly trained guards on their books ready to deploy in an instant. If the gov contract didn't stipulate exactly what qualifications, experience and handling of the quarantined, then it's a politician's head on the line.
You are 100% correct Baloo . The way the DHHS is organised these decisions would not be taken by the CHO but the bureaucracy in the Health department.
I’m not trying to defend the politicians but Andrews and Mikakos would rely on DHHS to do this and manage it properly . That was their mistake

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Funny, recall many saying Sutton was the best CHO in Aust as he was an expert in public health and disease. That the reason we had tighter restrictions was because he knew what he was doing. He was the virus expert. Personally think the buck stops with him more than Andrews. And also his deputy Annaliese offensive name. They would have been overseeing the quarantine program.

Unfortunately the end result will be the taxpayer funding higher costs for future similar programs due to increased regulation requirements. Perhaps they just need to engage people with common sense in the first place.

What has hiring security got to do with Sutton?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Sorry MDJ but this is a post from someone who clearly doesn’t understand how the Dept Health is organised and what CHOs actually do and don’t do.
He said today that he has no involvement in the hotel quarantine program and he said it because it’s the truth.
We should blame someone but we shouldn’t blame the wrong person/ people.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Sorry MDJ but this is a post from someone who clearly doesn’t understand how the Dept Health is organised and what CHOs actually do and don’t do.
He said today that he has no involvement in the hotel quarantine program and he said it because it’s the truth.
We should blame someone but we shouldn’t blame the wrong person/ people.

I'm not saying he was googling security firms. But to say he has no responsibility for the cluster *smile* that is quarantining is ridiculous.

He is the CHO for the state. He is a virus & public health expert. We were reminded of that on this thread. We are in the biggest public health crisis in our history. It has brought the country to a standstill. He is on the news every day giving updates. We have various programs running (restrictions/testing/quarantine etc) I assume under his leadership. As part of his updates he explained clearly and often how dangerous golfing & fishing were. We wee constantly reminded how selfish we were for wanting to participate He was all over that. Perhaps he should have been a little more concerned about managing those people who actually had the virus.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Stop trying to deflect from the real issue.
Numbers were going down. Golf was allowed and since then numbers have sky rocketed. the correlation is clear.
and i think you, and Sam Newman, are to blame.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It's patently clear that the current debacle was caused by golfers hiring protesters masquerading as security guards and their subsequent indulgence in shopping sprees followed by religious feasting and orgies. Dan and his branch-stacking redshirts were busy defending Cook's Cottage in a safe postcode and are beyond suspicion.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'm not saying he was googling security firms. But to say he has no responsibility for the cluster *smile* that is quarantining is ridiculous.

He is the CHO for the state. He is a virus & public health expert. We were reminded of that on this thread. We are in the biggest public health crisis in our history. It has brought the country to a standstill. He is on the news every day giving updates. We have various programs running (restrictions/testing/quarantine etc) I assume under his leadership. As part of his updates he explained clearly and often how dangerous golfing & fishing were. We wee constantly reminded how selfish we were for wanting to participate He was all over that. Perhaps he should have been a little more concerned about managing those people who actually had the virus.

you really love golf don't you

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Thought this graph re demographics in Victoria was interesting. Most cases are in under 30s..
I still question the logic of having schools open.

Attachments

• Eb9gaHKUEAAX9WH.jpg
    Eb9gaHKUEAAX9WH.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 10

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
It's patently clear that the current debacle was caused by golfers hiring protesters masquerading as security guards and their subsequent indulgence in shopping sprees followed by religious feasting and orgies. Dan and his branch-stacking redshirts were busy defending Cook's Cottage in a safe postcode and are beyond suspicion.
Bit hyperbolic to accuse Dan of defending Captain Cook.

Reactions: 1 user
< TV shows | Golf >