Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Not much is being made of the fact that construction workers have been able to work all the way through the restrictions. Most building sites in Melbourne and working as normal.

Not sure if that's the power of unions or the influence of the developers or the government just wanting to keep a revenue stream going.

Bit of both I reckon mate. I work in construction and its really been a bit ridiculous that we're still aloud to work. You often have to be right next to each other a lot of the time, then you go your separate ways at the end of the day and return to homes across greater melbourne. I think it's such a big sector that have a very small percentage of workers that can work from home, the government wouldn't be able to financially support us all.
And yes, then there's unions.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Can thank the 1 in 4 who tested positive leaving their homes for not getting this back under control. Selfish *smile* wrecking it for everyone.
Agree with that ToO, but why has it exploded in Victoria, and not elsewhere? Do we have a bigger percentage of selfish idiots than the rest of the country?

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Agree with that ToO, but why has it exploded in Victoria, and not elsewhere? Do we have a bigger percentage of selfish idiots than the rest of the country?
That's what I can't understand. NSW should be having out of control spread, its in multiple suburbs and they aren't in Stage 3. Surely they should have massive case rises?
What are they doing differently?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
That's what I can't understand. NSW should be having out of control spread, its in multiple suburbs and they aren't in Stage 3. Surely they should have massive case rises?
Who really knows but my best guess is the hotel quarantine disaster let the virus into the community and it spread from there. We thought it was contained but it wasn’t. It may have been asymptomatic in many people and it spread like wildfire before anyone knew. The gate was then shut but the horse had bolted.

NSW didn’t have the hotel quarantine disaster we had and they’ve been lucky to contain reasonably well in the second wave. It’s also a recognised fact that the NSW contact tracing capability is clearly superior to Victoria’s. That has helped them contain to this stage while Victoria has been overwhelmed and floundered. NSW did have Ruby Princess debacle in first wave but that appears nowhere near what the hotel quarantine failure has caused in Victoria.

Reactions: 3 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
My take is that Victoria has been the unlucky state.
Our behaviours (across Australia) in the past 2 months have been nothing short of deplorable.
We have treated the pandemic as someone else's problem. The contempt to act responsibly is now killing innocent people.
Its a sad state of affairs.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I think that's the curfew for driving to supermarket/chemist?

HS says "There will be a curfew from 8pm to 5am. The only reason to leave home during these hours is for work, medical care and caregiving".

Reckon if you're on the street you can expect a fine.

Dan has got this arse about. Should've had the hard crackdown first for four weeks. Too late now.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

And why after a period of months, and not before, when there were issues with hotel quarantine from the outset in March?

I doubt we'll ever hear the whole truth from the Vic government.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Today, hmm not good:

Daily Cases
7 day trailing ave
1 July 2020​
72​
2 July 2020​
61​
3 July 2020​
98​
4 July 2020​
68​
5 July 2020​
98​
6 July 2020​
168​
7 July 2020​
123​
98.29​
8 July 2020​
150​
107.14​
9 July 2020​
143​
121.14​
10 July 2020​
291​
148.71​
11 July 2020​
255​
175.43​
12 July 2020​
169​
185.57​
13 July 2020​
250​
197.29​
14 July 2020​
222​
211.43​
15 July 2020​
295​
232.14​
16 July 2020​
384​
266.57​
17 July 2020​
211​
255.14​
18 July 2020​
338​
267.00​
19 July 2020​
266​
280.86​
20 July 2020​
327​
291.86​
21 July 2020​
440​
323.00​
22 July 2020​
378​
334.86​
23 July 2020​
289​
321.29​
24 July 2020​
337​
339.29​
25 July 2020​
422​
351.29​
26 July 2020​
505​
385.43​
27 July 2020​
359​
390.00​
28 July 2020​
278​
366.86​
29 July 2020​
686​
410.86​
30 July 2020​
577​
452.00​
31 July 2020​
385​
458.86​
1 August 2020​
671​
494.43​

And the graph:

COVID19 7 day ave 02082020.jpg

Not hard to see why the restrictions are more severe.

DS

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The elephant in the room is what's the endgame for this after 6 more weeks of lock down?
Eradication or just control to take pressure off the health system?
Obviously it won't be eradicated with these current measures which are still going to result in leaky infections, so what is it's purpose?
That hasn't really been explained.
Who's to say that once it opens up again in September that we won't be at this point again with case numbers again in November?
Each time that results in more anger, fear & frustration. Lockdown fatigue will kick in & people will start to rebel against the government.
That's starting to creep now already as livelihoods are affected.
I just can't see this ending until (or if) we have an effective vaccine. Very worrying times.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The elephant in the room is what's the endgame for this after 6 more weeks of lock down?
Obviously it won't be eradicated with these current measures which are still going to result in leaky infections, so what is it's purpose?
Who's to say that once it opens up again in September that we won't be at this point again with case numbers again in November?
Each time that results in more anger, fear & frustration. Lockdown fatigue will kick in & people will start to rebel against the government.
I just can't see this ending until (or if) we have an effective vaccine. Very worrying times.
I don’t know obviously, but I think they want to suppress it or retard it’s spread. That way should buy time and allow them to track it. The no more than 5 kms from home was what they did in QLD sort of, I believe. The Vic govt have been reactive the entire way, and this was really the only option left to them.
I’m also more optimistic than you about a vaccine. There’s been some good news about advancement on that front over the last couple of weeks. It just gets buried under all the panic the MSM likes to peddle.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

A few epidemiologists have stated its the nature of the virus if the wrong people actually get it and act as super spreaders.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Stage 4 or stage 10 there will still be *smile* out there doing the wrong thing.
Need to start
Unfortunately if a successful vaccine isn't found it's gonna have to be herd immunity and survival of the fittest. Like what happened with the Spanish flu. There's no way of beating this unfortunately. 2nd waves are hitting places like the UK and Spain now and there's no way they're going into full lock down again. *smile* sandwich whichever way you look at it.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

The endgame is always an issue, especially if there is no vaccine. There certainly is no guarantee that a vaccine will be found.

The problem of compliance is huge, we don't want to have to do this again. Hopefully this will work.

One other aspect is what happens if there is an outbreak interstate? As we saw in Victoria an outbreak can occur under the surface and then go boom.

Harry, the theory with Spanish Flu as I understand it is that the virus evolved into a less virulent and deadly virus. I don't think herd immunity was the end game with that one. It did take a few years too. This virus does not change so quickly as the flu. Killing the host is not a good strategy for a virus but this one doesn't kill most hosts so who knows what will happen.

DS

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
What the state government need to ensure is that anyone breaching the restrictions can be apprehended and punished for not following them. Massive fines, detention or lockup. If they don't do that the weirdo loony anti-vaxer mob, or the selfish self-centered mob, or the idiot mob, will keep flouting the rules and risk this 6 week lockdown not working.

Now is not the time where personal rights and freedoms should take precedence over what's right for the community/society.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
i do wonder how much the demographic that it initially hit in Victoria contributed to high growth.
it appears many infected were "working poor", industries that spread is more likely- such as aged care and meat works. many also live in highly populated areas- such as the high rises, but also other unit blocks. people without great financial stability still need to shop, work etc, making social distancing harder (not excusing people doing these things once they know they are infected- but when they first catch it they are more likely to come into contact with others.)
also it appears it hit ethnic groups that have larger family gatherings- meanings many people in a home, hugging kissing etc. again not excusing those breaking the rules, but the effect of a seemingly minor "infraction" has potentially been disastrous.
and finally everyone in Australia thought we have 'beaten' Covid. People everywhere relaxed. Other states have since seen what is happening in Victoria, and that would surely lead to more cautious behaviour from many, even in the states with no known cases.

none of this it too excuse the behaviour of many, but i would be surprised if Victorians were any better or any worse at following the rules than other states.

Reactions: 2 users