Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Apparently sitting on Brighton beach is a form of exercise now:rolleyes:

What is the *smile* point...................

Yeah, I have noticed that. The sense of entitlement of the well off knows few bounds.

There has been a road block near the end of South Rd, maybe they need to move it up to the beach near Brighton Baths and the stretch jut North of that.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Those with extreme left and right political views are conflicted. The Lib feds have ballsed up as has the Vic ALP. So it makes it hard for either to be ultra critical as the criticisms apply to their own political preference as well.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Nobody was to blame. It's the Essendon defence, and just as laughable. How can the night clerk possibly be "patient zero"? Where did he get it from? Just because he was the first to test positive doesn't mean any of the guards didn't have it first.

This is Andrews trying to bluff his way out of a catastrophe and only a blind disciple could perceive it otherwise.

So Andrews has got witnesses and medical experts to lie to the inquiry?

Can't see anywhere in my post where I said "patient zero" either. Or that "nobody was to blame". For a guy that "only posts facts" you are exceedingly creative.

Last edited:

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah, I have noticed that. The sense of entitlement of the well off knows few bounds.

There has been a road block near the end of South Rd, maybe they need to move it up to the beach near Brighton Baths and the stretch jut North of that.

DS
It’s not just the well off. There are reports and photos of people attending farmers markets in the western suburbs and heaps of people sitting around in a park in Yarraville. There are *smile* selfish arseholes in all demographics.

They all make a mockery of the sacrifices most are prepared to make in lockdown. I sometimes think we should just get on with our lives and take our chances with the virus because it seems a bit pointless if we’re all not pulling in the same direction.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Nobody was to blame. It's the Essendon defence, and just as laughable. How can the night clerk possibly be "patient zero"? Where did he get it from? Just because he was the first to test positive doesn't mean any of the guards didn't have it first.

This is Andrews trying to bluff his way out of a catastrophe and only a blind disciple could perceive it otherwise.
There is pretty much no doubt patient zero was the clerk and If you ask the question how he would have got it the same question could be asked about a security guard. Whoever got it first got it from a positive guest. A front desk clerk touching a surface that a guest sneezed on ( as an example) makes a less interesting story than guards in guest rooms.
I am not sure why anyone doubts it or why it makes any difference? The quick spread from that cluster came when security guards were infected and that’s a pretty well established fact as well. So is that they weren’t well trained in infection control or given the right equipment.
I’m not sure it matters who patient zero was to the issues being investigated by the inquiry

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
There is pretty much no doubt patient zero was the clerk and If you ask the question how he would have got it the same question could be asked about a security guard. Whoever got it first got it from a positive guest. A front desk clerk touching a surface that a guest sneezed on ( as an example) makes a less interesting story than guards in guest rooms.
I am not sure why anyone doubts it or why it makes any difference? The quick spread from that cluster came when security guards were infected and that’s a pretty well established fact as well. So is that they weren’t well trained in infection control or given the right equipment.
I’m not sure it matters who patient zero was to the issues being investigated by the inquiry

“Patient zero identified” was the selling point of the article. There was community transmission afoot, so how is was it ascertained that the night manager or one of the guards didn’t bring it in from their personal lives?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Can't see anywhere in my post where I said "patient zero" either. Or that "nobody was to blame". For a guy that "only posts facts" you are exceedingly creative.

The patient zero article, without actually claiming to exonerate Dan, was where the Dan disciples came from the trees to comment "See? Dan's blameless and doing a wonderful job". It did claim that undisciplined security wasn't the cause and implied that the case was closed.
The night manager had a fever and returned a positive test result the following day. Seven security guards were immediately instructed to self-isolate, yet five of them (had presumably already) passed it on to their families.

The chronology of events is far from clear. Baker has a good rep as an investigative journo but this isn't his best work.

Last edited:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
“Patient zero identified” was the selling point of the article. There was community transmission afoot, so how is was it ascertained that the night manager or one of the guards didn’t bring it in from their personal lives?
We have people doing contact tracing Lee and armed with all the information from that work it was ascertained quite a while ago that patient zero was a desk clerk, and I would assume it is because based on his movements and contacts it has been worked out that it was the only place he could have caught it. No different to any other contact tracing. If you question this you should question all contact tracing.
I come back to the point of why does it matter? The security guards were badly trained and not well protected, they caught it and they spread it. Whether one of them was patient zero is to me largely irrelevant.
It's just another sensationalist headline and article that pretty much every media outlet is doing now.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
We have people doing contact tracing Lee and armed with all the information from that work it was ascertained quite a while ago that patient zero was a desk clerk, and I would assume it is because based on his movements and contacts it has been worked out that it was the only place he could have caught it. No different to any other contact tracing. If you question this you should question all contact tracing.

The trail doesn't stop at the clerk, though. How can they say it does without identifying how he caught it? Did he have unprotected contact with infected persons? Which ones?
I come back to the point of why does it matter?

The procurement and behaviour of security is the #1 talking point of the controversy. If security is absolved and the trail ends at a hotel employee, it gives Dan room to wriggle away.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The trail doesn't stop at the clerk, though. How can they say it does without identifying how he caught it? Did he have unprotected contact with infected persons? Which ones?
The procurement and behaviour of security is the #1 talking point of the controversy. If security is absolved and the trail ends at a hotel employee, it gives Dan room to wriggle away.
I have no idea what you are concerned about. The most likely source of contact would be recorded in his contact tracing file, maybe it was from an infected guest checking in, a surface or wherever. He was working in a hotel with positive guests. That's what contact tracing does, it traces back to the most likely infection source and you would expect that has happened with this person as well.
Seriously an article in a newspaper is not going to absolve anyone of anything nor does the fact that the first person to get the virus in the hotel was not a security guard change any facts about the way the security guard issue was handled.
You are jumping at shadows imo

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Damning for Dutton that he didn't allow officers to testify in the Ruby Princess 'investigation'. What have they got to hide? Where's the accountability from Dutton here...? (crickets)
Hewson puts it best..

I know it hasn't been an easy time for leaders but surely the Australian public & families of those that died have the right to know where mistakes have been made to prevent this from happening again? We need faith that our borders are secure, not coverups.
To prevent officers from testifying renders any investigation useless & undermines any process.

Before people howl, I fully expect cooperation from the State Gov in Victoria in the independent inquiry to get to the bottom of where mistakes were made here too re hotel quarantine. Our leaders need to be held accountable but to do so leaders need to cooperate with investigations..Dutton has not & that is a reflection on his boss.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Nice big decline in active cases today, both including and excluding aged care and healthcare workers.

Slower impact but continuing downtrend in number of new cases too.

1597545937325.png

1597545953395.png

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
All this talk about how Border Force is somehow not responsible for allowing the Ruby Princess to dock and all the passengers to get off is contradicted by what Scott Morrison said on March 15. In his press conference he said cruise ships would be put "directly under the command of the Australian Border Force". Fess up and be done with it Scotty. You can see the excerpt from the presser here:
First case at the quarantine hotel? It matters in terms of tracing the original source of the infection. If they find that it most likely came from a quarantining traveler then that is good info to have. But beyond that it matters little. It spread most likely from the desk clerk, that is what matters. The likelihood of the desk clerk getting the virus would be high given the contact with returning travelers, so some analysis of how to prevent this would be good. But more to the point, how could it get out? Inadequate training of security staff and likely inadequate equipment is the first step. The next step is who employed security staff? The employment of security staff was probably reasonable in the circumstances, but the really critical one in this part of the equation is why weren't they supervised by either police, corrections or the ADF? That is just silly, Vic government to fess up and be done with it on this score . . . Dan?

Ok, certainly seem to be making some progress with the Stage 4 lockdown measures in place, both the 5 day rolling average and the 7 day trailing average are looking pretty good, still more time needed to really see if we are on a downward curve but the signs are good and are what the health officals would have been looking for:

COVID19 7 day ave 16082020.jpg

The numbers have stablised but you can see the 2 averages getting closer to the actual daily numbers so we need those daily numbers to go down or we are plateauing and the averages will flatten rather than keep dropping.

Gotta keep observing the restrictions for a while yet, this virus has issues with how long it takes to be confident that very few undetected cases are out there.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Stupidity is contagious. It only takes a handful of rulebreakers to get people reading conspiracy material and believing the virus is no big thing.

yet your mates in the right wing media (eg. Bolt and Jones) have suggested this more than once. and its clear people have believed them. Have you called them out for it?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
This article gives us a taste of what has been going on in aged care and continues still. The strain on our public hospital resources to get involved in private aged care has been very significant.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Numbers a bit confusing today, but I can sort the exact numbers when they update the full report this afternoon.

In the meantime, the averages are still looking good but it will be hard to keep the downward trend as the number of new infections has to drop to low levels, not sure we are there yet:

COVID19 7 day ave 17082020.jpg

Still a matter of wait and see, it takes a lot of time to tame this virus.

DS

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Didn’t think I heard right but I’ve checked a few news reports. South Africa is going to ease lockdown restrictions because new infections has dropped to an average of around 5000 a day o_O