Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
"About 90 per cent of Victoria’s COVID-19 cases are likely traceable back to one family who quarantined at Melbourne’s Rydges Hotel in Swanston St, an inquiry has heard.

But precisely how the virus escaped from hotel quarantine remains a mystery, with investigators unable to pinpoint the moment of transmission."

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel...y/news-story/34f690ec5ebd4836759432e768a9be30 (paywalled)

So the night manager wasn't patient zero after all.

Suggest they examine the so-called "North Melbourne cluster" more closely. Won't happen.

Patient Zero is a stupid term to use, as we already knew that it came from someone in quarantine, they now think a particular family. Given they were in quarantine they came from OS, and carried the virus from OS. Then it infected the night manager/security guards and from there out into the community.

I really don't get your conspiracy theorising about the "North Melbourne cluster", unless you are suggesting it came from North Melbourne to the family in quarantine. Which seems bizarre tbh. Maybe I'm missing a step in your logic.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Will mention a rumour from a mate who works at Tabcorp and says it comes from "up high" - the government expectation is that restrictions won't be eased until the end of October, and that masks will remain compulsory for 12 months. Not sure what confidence level to put on it.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Have noticed a lot less cars on the road the past 48 hours.
I reckon the tightening/clarification of the rule that you can't drive to exercise even within the 5km radius has made a big difference on that front.

I tend to go for a ride in the afternoon, that's my exercise. The traffic is down in my observation. It was noticeable in the Stage 3 restrictions and even the first few days of stage 4 that the traffic wasn't down as much as it should have been. The first lockdown back in April was quieter and only stage 3 restrictions.

I reckon it is the closing of all the shops, no point driving anywhere.

Will be good to gt the shops open again but we have to get this under control first as the day the shops open the traffic will increase, there will be people milling around everywhere and the virus will move around unless no-one has it.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Will mention a rumour from a mate who works at Tabcorp and says it comes from "up high" - the government expectation is that restrictions won't be eased until the end of October, and that masks will remain compulsory for 12 months. Not sure what confidence level to put on it.

Restrictions to end October sounds about right

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Was reported last week in the SMH in regards NSW Public Hospitals and also reported in The Age back in July in regards Victoria. Also in the Australian 4 days ago.
im skeptical. i reckon there were stories a few weeks ago where hospitals wouldnt take aged care residents because they didnt need hospital care, but the aged care werent able (did not want) to provide the care needed.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Criminal that these public hospitals have the right to refuse entry to someone sick.
Seriously? Admission decisions are made by Doctors in Public hospitals as they always have been.

Public Hospitals are accepting lots of patients from aged care right now but what they aren't doing is accepting patients who are assessed by a doctor as not needing hospitalisation. Public hospitals are pretty much full and need to make sure they have capacity to accept patients who actually need hospitalisation and for COVID positive and suspected COVID positive patients.

What we have at the moment is quite understandably families who want their aged care relatives in hospital because they believe they are safer there but that simply can't be done because there isn't the bed capacity or the staffing to handle it. They are being admitted or not admitted based on doctors advice as they always are.

Your reply was related to another comment that was misinformed. It was in response to an article about doctors and nurses from public hospitals being redeployed into private aged care homes because those homes have their staff quarantined or the management has been deemed not able to deal with the situation.

Right now we should all be down on our knees thankful that we have such a robust public system because that system is bailing us out everywhere. Running private nursing homes, running infection prevention in hotel quarantine and anything else they get asked to do.

Reactions: 8 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
im skeptical. i reckon there were stories a few weeks ago where hospitals wouldnt take aged care residents because they didnt need hospital care, but the aged care werent able (did not want) to provide the care needed.
If the Aged Care Facilities were not able to provide the care needed then where was the appropriate place for the residents?
The death toll would certainly indicate that leaving them in place was not a good move.

Reactions: 1 user

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016

WA has been lucky - thus far.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
If the Aged Care Facilities were not able to provide the care needed then where was the appropriate place for the residents?
The death toll would certainly indicate that leaving them in place was not a good move.
hospitals are for people who need a reasonably high level of medical support, not to cover for aged care providers who decide meeting their residents' needs is too hard.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Seriously? Admission decisions are made by Doctors in Public hospitals as they always have been.

Public Hospitals are accepting lots of patients from aged care right now but what they aren't doing is accepting patients who are assessed by a doctor as not needing hospitalisation. Public hospitals are pretty much full and need to make sure they have capacity to accept patients who actually need hospitalisation and for COVID positive and suspected COVID positive patients.

What we have at the moment is quite understandably families who want their aged care relatives in hospital because they believe they are safer there but that simply can't be done because there isn't the bed capacity or the staffing to handle it. They are being admitted or not admitted based on doctors advice as they always are.

Your reply was related to another comment that was misinformed. It was in response to an article about doctors and nurses from public hospitals being redeployed into private aged care homes because those homes have their staff quarantined or the management has been deemed not able to deal with the situation.

Right now we should all be down on our knees thankful that we have such a robust public system because that system is bailing us out everywhere. Running private nursing homes, running infection prevention in hotel quarantine and anything else they get asked to do.
Sin, thank you for bringing a big fat valuable slab of 'know what the *smile* you're talking about' for us less versed in the system.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

WA has been lucky - thus far.

NSW has had a few lucky escapes too - or unlucky escapes, as some quarantiners have absconded and been apprehended, including Sarah Liberty, a "social influencer" who shimmied down a drain pipe to "get some fresh air". Later apprehended in The Rocks and fined $1000.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Sin, thank you for bringing a big fat valuable slab of 'know what the *smile* you're talking about' for us less versed in the system.
I just happen to be involved in the sector

The thing that worries me a lot at the moment is the quality of the reporting we are getting on what is happening. So much of it is just sensationalist and actually sometimes it is wrong.

Being involved in this sector has taught me a big slab of scepticism towards anything in the media.

Reactions: 3 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

How can the system be under strain with 600cases in hospital when in the first lockdown we were told that one of its aims was to give breathing space to the medical fraternity to prepare for a bigger onslaughts? Recall Mention of 4000 ICU beds being prepared.

Whilst aged care has been bashed from plillar to post for letting the virus into their homes (and for some other work places) there is only sympathy for hospitals where there are cases galore ....eg Frankston hospital 50. given the abundant staff, resources, knowledge and commitment in our hospital system I was expecting them to be more secure .

Reactions: 1 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Scomo on Victoria and aged care, so much for we're all in this together. It was in response to being asked if the buck stops with him re aged care, compare his response to what Andrews has been saying:

That is a transparent quote and more honest in what Andrews has been. ADF proved yesterday Andrews lie yesterday. Refer ABC link I posted above. I don’t really like the answer by Scott Morrison. And I hope the reporters pressed him on the regulations. The issue is the regulations that will need a major update to protect our most vulnerable.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Scomo on Victoria and aged care, so much for we're all in this together. It was in response to being asked if the buck stops with him re aged care, compare his response to what Andrews has been saying:

That's just Scomo washing hands routine, you're meant to do it for 20 seconds, he's just been doing it for a lot longer.

< Golf | TV shows >