Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

DavidSSS

Tiger Champion
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Please provide some scientific basis that this is how it spreads? Because I'm sure groups of parents have been doing this for the last few months in other states without outbreaks.

If the virus did spread like this (a social chat at distance outdoors for 15 minutes) we would have been completely unable to contain it in this country.

You aren't prone to hyperbole but that sort of statement is pretty exaggerated IMO

Who said they were at a distance?

It is a respiratory virus, there is uncertainty about how well it spreads outdoors, but a bunch of people in one place, better outdoors than indoors, is just what the restrictions have been trying to stop.

Hopefully the active cases in Victoria are low enough to allow people to congregate because that is what will happen when they are relaxed. Which is why it is so hard to pick the right time to ease restrictions.

DS

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
How many of the NSW were returning travellers in quarantine?

Of the 11 yesterday 5 were those, Would need to compare community transmission to Vic not overall numbers.
Yes, the international traveller numbers are really irrelevant.
Also people seem to ignore that NSW have had those low numbers with less restrictions. It is probably reasonable to expect our numbers wouldnt have dropped so much if our restrictions were lighter.

having said that the numbers the last couple of days have been very promising. it does give pause for thought about whether keeping restrictions for a little longer might 'eliminate' the virus from Victoria. but i doubt the government could get away with not making changes tomorrow.
hopefully the right balance is struct between people's safety and people's sanity.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Tiger Legend
Feb 3, 2017
Who said they were at a distance?

It is a respiratory virus, there is uncertainty about how well it spreads outdoors, but a bunch of people in one place, better outdoors than indoors, is just what the restrictions have been trying to stop.

Hopefully the active cases in Victoria are low enough to allow people to congregate because that is what will happen when they are relaxed. Which is why it is so hard to pick the right time to ease restrictions.

DS

I don't think there's any uncertainty. If it spread well outdoors it would not have been contained in Australia. If it spread well from surfaces (such as food in supermarkets) it would not have been contained.

I think as families people need to have discussions around keeping the elderly in the family safe. Having parties/celebrations where people are confined inside in large numbers is clearly high risk. I hope people use their common sense and make smart choices.

And people need to maintain could hand hygiene and wear masks when shopping etc.

bigwow

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Active cases under 150, positive test rate today 0.00%, 0.05% over the last week. As long as some *smile* doesn't go for a drive in the country next week, we might be winning.

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Great stuff Melbourne and Victoria. You are nearly through this.

DavidSSS

Tiger Champion
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Outdoors is less risky bot not no risk, we are almost there in terms of active cases but we do need to continue to be careful.

Wow, that US case number is totally out of control, what a mess. Going up again in the USA. Yeah, nothing to worry about according to the Pres they really needed (deserved maybe?).

Our numbers looking quite good now: COVID19 7 day ave 17102020.jpg

Plus, some numbers:

DateNew Infections7 Day Trailing ave5 Day Centred ave14 Day Trailing ave
10 October 20201210.2912.209.57
11 October 20201411.1411.2010.21
12 October 20201110.719.6010.36
13 October 2020510.717.6010.00
14 October 2020610.295.009.43
15 October 202029.149.21
16 October 202017.298.64

Getting there.

DS

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Definitely getting close. The 1 case reported today was a reclassification from prior days so this was the 1st day in a VERY long time that we have actually had zero positive tests from the day before.

Last 4 days positive test rate has been 0.02%, I know only over a shorter period than they wanted at this time, but thats in line with states such as NSW and SA. Hopefully we can keep that up.

Link below from Brett Sutton regarding the 14 day unknown cases.

Certainly shows an improving trend.

All eyes will be on Dan tomorrow.

IMO they will want pubs (outside only) open for Cup Day. I reckon they would have wanted for GF day but that might be too soon.

DavidSSS

Tiger Champion
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
They are talking about 9 million cases in the US by the date of the election

Well, if they vote Trump back in I suppose they get what they get.

I did hear today that a lot of young people are voting. The reality is that if lots of people vote then the Republicans are in trouble.

The USA needs a better government to get a handle on this pandemic. It affects us all as the world will open up sooner or later and we don't want a big powerful country with a pandemic out of control.

DS

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Being a selfish prick but a law abiding one, my current priority is how many tigers an Essendon supporting Premier will let me watch the GF with. it's been 0 until the last 4 when it ballooned to 1 .
Sorry for putting everyone at risk for hoping for 5 from different households.

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
States and even counties can mandate their own restrictions.

Similar things are happening in the UK with regional cities making their own restrictions given they feel the national approaches aren't working.