Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I read quite different Posh. The figure I heard was that outbound Australian tourists spend about $59bn on overseas holidays per year. Inbound international tourism was worth about $54bn to the Australian economy. Remarkably close to net/ne
t (slightly more going out in fact).

This is obviously just tourists though. Doesn't include inbound international students. Not sure where working holidaymakers and other similar schemes fit in calculating the figures.

A few years back education was one of our biggest export earners as an economy estimated at $37 bill in 2019. That includes OS students coming here and spending money to live here as well as fees paid to attend uni here.

Of course, some students do work here and some do send money home too, so that figure is inflated somewhat.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Students who work here tend to do so to pay their rent, fees etc. With the cost of living here and the crapilly paid jobs they get (if they are paid what they are supposed to be paid) they ain't sending money home unless it is to repay debts to their families.

Education remains one of our biggest exports, third biggest from memory and I think it was biggest for Victoria. It also employs a hell of a lot more people than mining.

All this seems to be ignored by the Neanderthals in Canberra.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Sweden’s push for herd immunity immoral, says covid chief

Oliver Moody
London Times
October 29, 2020
(paywalled)

The pandemic is approaching a “critical juncture” in Sweden after the number of daily cases rose by 70 per cent in a week, according to the country’s chief epidemiologist.

Anders Tegnell, the public face of Sweden’s official coronavirus response, said that it would be futile and immoral for a state to deliberately pursue herd immunity, where a large enough number of the population has been infected that the disease struggles to spread.

“There has up to now been no infectious disease whose transmission was fully halted by herd immunity without a vaccine,” Dr Tegnell told Die Zeit, a German newspaper.

Sweden’s infection rate has climbed precipitously over the past two months, rising about eightfold since the start of the autumn. It is increasing in 17 of Sweden’s 21 regions.

On Tuesday Scania county, which includes the southern city of Malmo, announced a voluntary lockdown, with residents urged to avoid shops, gyms, libraries, swimming pools, meetings, public transport and physical contact with people from outside their household.

“We need to press the emergency brake to stop this development now,” Eva Melander, the region’s medical director for infectious diseases, said.

Overall nearly 4 per cent of coronavirus tests yield a positive result, up from 1.2 per cent in early September.

“It’s one of the largest increases we have seen,” Dr Tegnell said. “Partly this is the result of more intensive tracing and testing, but we definitely also have a greater spread of infection.”

Hospitals appear to be coping well in most parts of the country and the public health agency is recording an average of only five deaths a week.

Infection rates in care homes, which accounted for half of deaths in the spring and summer, remain low.

“We do have more new infections than we did in the summer and we’re taking it very seriously,” Dr Tegnell said.

“But the curve is rising less steeply than elsewhere. So far the increase has not resulted in more people needing to be admitted to hospitals. All in all, we’re fairly satisfied.”

During the first wave of the pandemic Sweden was the only western European country not to impose a mandatory lockdown. The strategy was heavily criticised by some epidemiologists after the death toll passed 5900 in a population of 10.2 million, becoming the worst in Scandinavia and, pro rata, one of the highest in Europe.

However, Dr Tegnell said forced lockdowns “tied up enormous resources” and it was better to win the public’s acceptance for looser but more sustainable guidelines.

“Swedes have changed their behaviour more markedly than almost any other Europeans,” he said. “We are travelling less than [people in] neighbouring countries. During the spring roughly 40 per cent of employees worked from home.”

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
So after all this time the Andrews government has not developed a QR code system (but won’t use an already established version from interstate)? Unbelievable.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Students who work here tend to do so to pay their rent, fees etc. With the cost of living here and the crapilly paid jobs they get (if they are paid what they are supposed to be paid) they ain't sending money home unless it is to repay debts to their families.

Education remains one of our biggest exports, third biggest from memory and I think it was biggest for Victoria. It also employs a hell of a lot more people than mining.

All this seems to be ignored by the Neanderthals in Canberra.

DS

I don't think its being ignored. My guess is they are working on a travel bubble with China, to specifically drive overseas students attendance during 2021. Would be a massive boost to our economy and needs to be sorted out quickly, otherwise those fees for 2021 are gone and they will need to look towards intakes in 2022 as the next starting point for reigniting the education sector.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
So after all this time the Andrews government has not developed a QR code system (but won’t use an already established version from interstate)? Unbelievable.
Came out yesterday that the WA Government does not have a functional Contract Tracing process in place and is still waiting on tenders to be received to develop one. Govt. incompetence? Why am I not surprised. No wonder the Premier doesn't want to open the border.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
4 cases, not bad, as long as it stays around this level we should be fine.

COVID19 7 day ave 30102020a.jpg

Still trundling along below 10, the last time we had double figures of new infections was 11 cases on 12 October.

DateNew Infections7 Day Trailing ave5 Day Centred ave14 Day Trailing ave
16 October 202017.292.808.64
17 October 202025.861.608.07
18 October 202034.291.807.71
19 October 202002.712.606.71
20 October 202032.432.406.57
21 October 202052.292.806.29
22 October 202012.144.205.64
23 October 202052.713.605.00
24 October 202073.432.604.64
25 October 202003.002.803.64
26 October 202003.002.402.86
27 October 202022.861.802.64
28 October 202032.572.43
29 October 202043.002.57

Currently 76 active cases so looking good.

DS

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Whats important is that apparently all 4 cases today are from known sources.

Yep, whilst our average ticked up a touch, to see our unknown cases in the last 14 days dropping to 2 from 4 is a really good move. It would be interesting to see where these 2 cases were in the 14 day period. Ie. were both 10-14 days away?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
What, the guy you reckon is incompetent and should be sacked? Gotcha.
No, the guy that should be accountable if he has mislead an inquiry.

If you read carefully you will find I thought he was the guy in charge until Sing pointed out he wasn't "actually" pulling a lot of strings. I acknowledge this and I've actually praised some of his perfomances under immense pressure (the inquiry and other press conference instances). And Sing has sung his praises from within. But as more evidence comes to light that he was not completely transparent at the inquiry it does raise questions. The recent Age article from Chip doesn't do him any favours.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The Federal Government flew Australians out of Wuhan, and quarantined them on Christmas Island. Why didn't they continue to use Christmas Island for returning Australians?
They probably wanted to shift the cost to the states, by making them quarantine them in hotels.
The cost of Hotel quarantine has been shared equally between the states and the Commonwealth

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
No, the guy that should be accountable if he has mislead an inquiry.

If you read carefully you will find I thought he was the guy in charge until Sing pointed out he wasn't "actually" pulling a lot of strings. I acknowledge this and I've actually praised some of his perfomances under immense pressure (the inquiry and other press conference instances). And Sing has sung his praises from within. But as more evidence comes to light that he was not completely transparent at the inquiry it does raise questions. The recent Age article from Chip doesn't do him any favours.
By the way I reckon he is 50/50 to keep his job. If he doesn't it will be a great shame

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
There has been a massive spike is cases in the USA since Trump recovered from Covid and started holding rallies around the country.
They have gone from 8 million cases to 9 million in just 2 weeks. Trump mocking Biden for wearing a mask is more or less encouraging his supporters not wear them. He should be charged with endangering lives or the like.

Reactions: 1 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
I heard yesterday that more US people are dying per day during this pandemic than died per day during their involvement in WW2 which is flabbergasting.

• Angry

Greenie

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
Having used the QR code system a bit, I wouldn't be bothering with it.

Completely flawed in that you can enter anything you like in the information and there's no check. A nightclub style system that captures ID would be much better.
Agree. We made one for our small business in about 10 minutes but who knows what people are entering. Especially those people you really want to know about. Ie. the around 10% of people who would never have a test under any circs.

I am interested to know if a QR code system is used Interstate in Supermarkets, Bunnings, Officeworks etc. It’s not in Vic. If it’s not Interstate it is totally pointless having one at all. The biggest retailers not having one.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Sweden is interesting.
The same "guru" who stated that they'd avoid a 2nd wave because they'd have achieved herd immunity now reckons pursuing herd immunity isn't ethical.
His latest statement “There has up to now been no infectious disease whose transmission was fully halted by herd immunity without a vaccine” comes after he was the one pushing the concept.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I heard yesterday that more US people are dying per day during this pandemic than died per day during their involvement in WW2 which is flabbergasting.
It is now approaching 4 times the number of Americans who died in the Vietnam war, more than in the Civil war and nearly 80% of the deaths in combat in WW2.
If Australia had the same per capita infection rate as the US over 700,000 people would have been infected, nearly 3% of the whole population. We have had 27000 infections, just over 0.1%
The whole of US per capita infection rate is about 8 times the state of Victoria.