Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
So, I thought I would risk the entire Australian economy and head back to Sunny Melbourne. About 10 days ago the embassy in Jakarta emailed saying there were places on a flight back direct to Melbourne, so took the plunge and got on it. I was lucky, there were economy spaces so didn't have to fork out for business class at 10K a pop like people in the ME or Europe apparently have to. I'm still working back into Indonesia virtually, in quarantine (or detention as VicGov calls it) but we have clients in Melbourne also so will try to gradually switch across.

Very strict protocols at airport and hotel - multiple quick interviews with doctors, psychiatrists and bored flunkies reading the relevant Vic legislation. I got lucky with the hotel, Intercontinental so room is good and nothing wrong with the food at all. Others got the Holiday Inn which apparently is a bit of a dive with small windows. I've basically been in quarantine for most of the last year so I don't see what the big fuss is about to be honest. Mind you, knowing friends and family are very close but you can't see them makes it harder somehow. Was PCR tested once in Indo before I left, twice in Detention so far. Negatory!

Good to be back, hopefully see some of you at the footy this year. Can't wait for the first beer when I get out of this place.
Welcome back home, ant.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
So, I thought I would risk the entire Australian economy and head back to Sunny Melbourne. About 10 days ago the embassy in Jakarta emailed saying there were places on a flight back direct to Melbourne, so took the plunge and got on it. I was lucky, there were economy spaces so didn't have to fork out for business class at 10K a pop like people in the ME or Europe apparently have to. I'm still working back into Indonesia virtually, in quarantine (or detention as VicGov calls it) but we have clients in Melbourne also so will try to gradually switch across.

Very strict protocols at airport and hotel - multiple quick interviews with doctors, psychiatrists and bored flunkies reading the relevant Vic legislation. I got lucky with the hotel, Intercontinental so room is good and nothing wrong with the food at all. Others got the Holiday Inn which apparently is a bit of a dive with small windows. I've basically been in quarantine for most of the last year so I don't see what the big fuss is about to be honest. Mind you, knowing friends and family are very close but you can't see them makes it harder somehow. Was PCR tested once in Indo before I left, twice in Detention so far. Negatory!

Good to be back, hopefully see some of you at the footy this year. Can't wait for the first beer when I get out of this place.
Hope it goes quick for you and you come out unscathed!

Reactions: 1 user

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne

Yes, but more importantly, can you wash your own hair or do you need someone to do it for you?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Good stuff Antman, we were almost neighbours in the Intercontinental but I managed to wrangle another deal at the last moment.

Enjoy being home.
Was wondering if you were down the hall!! A better deal than Intercontinental? You did well...

The only bad part is the $3000 invoice we get for the two week stay.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
I’m biased pro-China, so keep that in mind, but I don’t understand why it matters exactly where the virus originated.

The only hidden assumption that strikes me as relevant now would be if China intentionally disrupted the world to gain power, which I find ridiculous.

If the virus unintentionally made it’s way out of the lab, then understanding how that happened could prevent a reoccurrence in the future, but that’s a scientific question that will continually be asked and answered regardless of the WHO’s involvement.

If the assumption is China should compensate the world, then I find that equally ridiculous and more than likely a Western attempt to capitalise on the pandemic as an excuse to reduce the power of their rival - which makes us the political bad guys.

I don’t understand the unspoken aspect behind these investigations.

What’s the honest motivation on our behalf?
Agree, but there needs to be some accountability. If the disease was caused by bad meat at a wet market, then surely these practices need to be looked at. How can it not be thoroughly investigated given the turmoil it has caused.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Agree, but there needs to be some accountability. If the disease was caused by bad meat at a wet market, then surely these practices need to be looked at. How can it not be thoroughly investigated given the turmoil it has caused.

What kind of accountability?

New diseases will emerge in any country at anytime. It’s unpredictable. A new virus could, and will, spread from any animal in any situation.

People focus on bats. One also came from pigs. They will spread from other animals in the future. It’s irrelevant if it was a bat unless you’re consistent and include pigs in any argument to ban or restrict animal trading, and call for all countries who‘ve dealt with swine to be held accountable.

One of the viruses originated from pigs in the U.S. where are the calls for their accountability? Does every country require an investigation when future viruses emerge or just the ones we don’t like politically?

I don’t believe there’s an honesty behind motivations to investigate China. And I haven’t seen a strong argument that isn’t rooted in anti-Chinese sentiment.

So what exactly should China be accountable for?

Last edited:

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
What kind of accountability?
So what exactly should China be accountable for?
Looking for some transparency and some learnings for the future. I thank those brave people who spoke out and tried to warn the world about this virus. Of those brave people many have gone missing for speaking out. I would like the WHO to publish the Chinese Government’s response to the warnings and interview the health and government officials. Also I would like them publish who they would have interviewed if they had a chance that are not able to be investigated due them going missing.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Looking for some transparency and some learnings for the future. I thank those brave people who spoke out and tried to warn the world about this virus. Of those brave people many have gone missing for speaking out. I would like the WHO to publish the Chinese Government’s response to the warnings and interview the health and government officials. Also I would like them publish who they would have interviewed if they had a chance that are not able to be investigated due them going missing.
I don't think any country in the world opens themselves up to outside investigations, unless there is something material in it for them, such as sanctions being lifted.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I was lucky enough to ride on the coattails of some VIPs and get permission to isolate at a private residence so avoided the cost altogether.

On the plus side I've had three random spot checks in 10 days, which is three more than I had the last time I quarantined.

Half ya luck mate! I get yelled at here if I poke my head out the door without a mask on just to pick up my dinner from the table outside.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Born_a_Tiger78

Tiger Rookie
Jul 16, 2008
I was lucky enough to ride on the coattails of some VIPs and get permission to isolate at a private residence so avoided the cost altogether.

On the plus side I've had three random spot checks in 10 days, which is three more than I had the last time I quarantined.
So long as the private residence has a tennis court within the property, I have no issue with the double standards.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
It's reassuring to know it's being done properly.

It's super strict actually. They have someone in the corridor 24 hours to make sure there are no room-visiting shenanigans. If they talk to you, they'll stand two metres back unless taking a swab. They call every day to check if you have any symptoms or are about to freak out or whatever.

After the disaster of the first round of hotel detention they really didn't want to stuff up again, and so far it seems to be working.

Reactions: 1 users

Born_a_Tiger78

Tiger Rookie
Jul 16, 2008
Sadly no, not even a pool. But it's a mute point as one of the conditions is not to go outside.
I think you missed the inferred point, which is neither 'mute' nor 'moot'.

There are different requirements for different people to be able to enter Australia.

If you can sing, make your way to a private residence. If you can act, make your way to a private residence. If you have money, or influence, make your way to a private residence. If you can play tennis, the rules will be bent.

If you can't act or sing, don't have enough money or influence, then make your way to a hotel in the city.

If it was taken to the people, I reckon most would agree with ONE set of rules and restrictions for ALL incoming travellers.