Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
relax!

everything is gonna be ok.

with Craig Kelly now supporting the vaccination rollout.

phew.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Mutant virus strain floated between hotel quarantine rooms (paywalled)​

Authorities believe a mutant strain of coronavirus has floated between rooms in one of Victoria’s quarantine hotels.

A family of five, who arrived at the Park Royal at Melbourne Airport on January 20, were moved to a health hotel after positive tests days later.

But a woman whose room was across the hall from the family’s tested positive to an “identical” strain of coronavirus on January 27.

The woman had been in hotel quarantine since January 11. She stayed in quarantine for an extended period because she was later joined by her husband.

A review of CCTV had found the family did not breach quarantine and there was no cross over between air through ventilation.

Police Minister Lisa Neville said the “working assumption” was that the viral load from the family’s room was so high that it spread from the family’s room when the door was opening during food deliveries.

Ms Neville described the case as “hotel transmission”, not community transmission, saying that there was a no or a low risk to the community.

She said a review of CCTV had found the family did not breach quarantine and there was cross over between air through ventilation.

Deputy chief health officer Melanie van Twest said she doesn’t believe “there is any risk to the public”.

Dr van Twest said one of the infected people remembered opening their door at the same time as another room but the guest did not remember the date.

An engineer’s report showed that there wasn’t air being shared between the rooms or from rooms into common areas.

“We have put in the most robust ventilation systems we can,” Ms Neville said.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
How is it possible WA has had no community transmission for 3 days despite where this fella had supposedly been, given the strain of the virus he has??
It's great news but I'm pretty surprised..

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
How is it possible WA has had no community transmission for 3 days yet given where this fella had supposedly been given the strain of the virus he has??

Their testing levels are still pretty low. When NSW had the outbreak they were up around 30k / day with a lot of these in a small area. WA have only got to about 30k across the last 3 day period. They certainly haven't gone out and smashed testing like the other states did when they had outbreaks. Hopefully its not bubbling along under the surface, if it is we will start to see it over the next week.,

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
How is it possible WA has had no community transmission for 3 days despite where this fella had supposedly been, given the strain of the virus he has??

I think he went to a fancy dress party dressed as an astronaught all wrapped in tin foil with a goldfish bowl upside down on his head, on the night he got exposed to the mutant mega-contagion, and the gold fish bowl got pretty much permanently stuck on his head. a hermetic seal apparently.

the epidemiologists are crediting the mishap as preventing a 3rd wave and shutting down global iron ore production.

you couldn't make this stuff up

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Must be weather-related. They've had five consecutive days of mid-30's plus, the virus doesn't survive for long at that temp. Don't think we're going to be as lucky when winter rolls around.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
If, if there is no further transmission it will be WA luck yet again.
That or the fact we are just a more sanitised civilisation.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
#### the Australian Open. Can't go ahead. Shouldn't have gone ahead!
Back to wearing *smile* masks everywhere indoors again. Back to the Black Rock outbreak settings. We got on top of that reasonably quickly so hope we can do so again. It is very surprising though that both QLD & WA have a positive case of the apparently extremely infectious strain yet no one else gets infected? I bet we won’t be so lucky in Victoria; again.

Anyway, *smile* the tennis. We should have told those Prima Donnas to stay home this year. Absolutely ludicrous decision to allow it to go ahead.

Reactions: 4 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Back to wearing *smile* masks everywhere indoors again. Back to the Black Rock outbreak settings. We got on top of that reasonably quickly so hope we can do so again. It is very surprising though that both QLD & WA have a positive case of the apparently extremely infectious strain yet no one else gets infected? I bet we won’t be so lucky in Victoria; again.

Anyway, *smile* the tennis. We should have told those Prima Donnas to stay home this year. Absolutely ludicrous decision to allow it to go ahead.
The difference is that he tested negative and then tested positive a few days later so he has spent a few days in the community.
To be honest that is bad luck, or at least quite strange. Could happen in any state as I am not sure what else can be done apart from the testing after every shift which is happening now

Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The difference is that he tested negative and then tested positive a few days later so he has spent a few days in the community.
To be honest that is bad luck, or at least quite strange. Could happen in any state as I am not sure what else can be done apart from the testing after every shift which is happening now
Agree it is bad luck; the hotel worker seems to have done nothing wrong. Although there is no luck in the decision to allow these entitled prima donna tennis players to enter the country and bring the virus with them. A completely unnecessary risk and for what? It's not like it'll be a massive economic boost. Crowds will be severely limited and there will be no influx of visitors from interstate or overseas. All so these brats can earn a minimum of $100K! And we the taxpayer get to pay for the privilige :mad:

Appalling decision by the authorities to allow this to go ahead :mad:

But I still don't get how the bloke in Perth hasn't affected anyone else. He was driving Ubers whilst he was unknowingly infectious I believe. Not even his housemates have contracted the virus from himo_O

Reactions: 1 users