Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Fist day back in the office today for over 10 months - half way there get a phone call told to go back home. lol.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The most palatable possibility is that the guard has picked it up off a contaminated surface at the hotel.

If he's caught it through person-to-person contact, then either an infected person at the hotel went undetected, or there is an infected member of the public at large.

Not sure we're going to get an answer. Nervous wait to see whether new cases pop up.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Quite light restrictions really, no lock down and just masks indoors and less people can visit.

Let's hope this is enough.

I think the testing numbers will be indicative, we really need lots of people getting tests if they have been to the places this bloke visited and make sure there are no undetected cases floating around.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Agree it is bad luck; the hotel worker seems to have done nothing wrong. Although there is no luck in the decision to allow these entitled prima donna tennis players to enter the country and bring the virus with them. A completely unnecessary risk and for what? It's not like it'll be a massive economic boost. Crowds will be severely limited and there will be no influx of visitors from interstate or overseas. All so these brats can earn a minimum of $100K! And we the taxpayer get to pay for the privilige :mad:

Appalling decision by the authorities to allow this to go ahead :mad:

But I still don't get how the bloke in Perth hasn't affected anyone else. He was driving Ubers whilst he was unknowingly infectious I believe. Not even his housemates have contracted the virus from himo_O
I agree, the tennis should not have happened.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Quite light restrictions really, no lock down and just masks indoors and less people can visit.

Let's hope this is enough.

I think the testing numbers will be indicative, we really need lots of people getting tests if they have been to the places this bloke visited and make sure there are no undetected cases floating around.

DS
Lighter restrictions have worked elsewhere

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
#### the Australian Open. Can't go ahead. Shouldn't have gone ahead!

Maybe they could pull the pin on fans attending as the last resort if things take a downturn but I cant see them calling it off unless there is a significantc downturn in the next 2-3 days

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Lighter restrictions have worked elsewhere

It is one case, they have been testing those who may have had contact and I haven't checked but last I heard they haven't found any cases which are caused by the quarantine worker who tested positive.

The lighter restrictions look justified and proportionate.

DS

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I am all of a sudden conflicted, even though I love the Australian Open and all it brings I were so anti it this year because of the risks it involves., yet i have just seen a CNN report saying how we are the envy of the world, are about to run a tournament with crowds. If we get through unscathed I will feel so proud and if it all turns to *smile* well?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Another day, another Victorian HQ worker infected. Exposure sites listed below.
Also a NSW returned traveler tests positive after the 14 day quarantine period is over. With warninsg issued in southern Sydney to Wollongong.

In other news the 57 million AstraZeneca made vaccines we have purchased reportedly offers limited protection against the SA variant. Great.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
a couple of things that make me laugh.

1. People calling for the tennis to be cancelled. so much fear from the media has made a mountain out of a molehill. At some point we need to stop living in fear and start getting on with it. The relevant authorities have handled the situation beautifully. Yes, a handful of COVID cases in quarantine, but that was expected with groups of people travelling here. But now they are all out and clear to play tennis.

And it’ll be great to showcase how well Australia has handled COVID to the whole world. 30,000 at the tennis today. How great is that? Especially with footy around the corner.

2. People coming out and calling for return travellers to quarantine though Christmas Island. Do these people know that the Christmas Island detention centre is run by the federal government? The feds have shirked responsibility for quarantine for 12 months. I can’t imagine they would start taking responsibility now.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
2. People coming out and calling for return travellers to quarantine though Christmas Island. Do these people know that the Christmas Island detention centre is run by the federal government? The feds have shirked responsibility for quarantine for 12 months. I can’t imagine they would start taking responsibility now.

Pretty sure the medical facilities at Christmas Island consists of 2 beds.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I think it would be prudent to wait and see, rather than get too worked up about it at this stage.

Its also a very very early stage report. Average age was 31, they know it doesn't do as much in protecting against mild illness but thats not really what the vaccine is designed for, afterall you can still get the flu even with the flu vaccine. Its understanding if it stops severe illness that is the key and this is unknown as it wasn't tested on people who are of the age that they will get more serious symptoms.

It certainly shows its not the key vaccine, but might still be the most appropriate to give to those at the lower risk demographic, under 50 with no underlying conditions.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I think it would be prudent to wait and see, rather than get too worked up about it at this stage.
You think? Although you only need to read some of the reactions to the NSW gov't response to their recent outbreak to know going off half-cocked is a theme of this thread.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
You think? Although you only need to read some of the reactions to the NSW gov't response to their recent outbreak to know going off half-cocked is a theme of this thread.

Its arguable that the spread to Vic and Qld occurred because the NSW government didn't take measures like masks early enough.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Its arguable that the spread to Vic and Qld occurred because the NSW government didn't take measures like masks early enough.
Arguable but is it true? The outcry on here about the NSW response looks ridiculous in hindsight. Gladys copped it from all angles, but when you look at the results what did they do wrong? They trusted their measures (for about the 4th time in an outbreak) and were once again proven correct. I think all states now have the ability to manage outbreaks without resorting to city wide shutdowns. I could list 50 posts declaring NSW had *smile* it up and we were all going to pay. NSW have been very consistent in their approach.