Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Serious question. WTF haven't our health workers been vacinated already? What's taking so long?

Don't worry. As Slo-Mo has been telling us for the last 8 weeks we are "ahead of schedule." This schedule has been developed by experts in on-time delivery.

1612956854110.png

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Hear ! Hear Chimpley ! Concise, accurate and informative (somewhat). Unusual for you.

What's with the 'R' ? Are you Robin now from Batman & Robin ? Makes sense. Second string.
Geez who let you back in? Bugger off back to that other site and send Drofder over here.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I read that a nebuliser was spreading Covid,

and I honestly first thought

'Oh well, if its entering our atmosphere via blackholes, we're *smile*. She's all over. It'll mutate into an alien ebola for sure, and we're all gonna leak out our eyes and arses before round 1'

my second thought was

'perfect timing, we're back to back premiers till the end of time and space'

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I don't believe its arrived yet. I think I heard that the Pfizer vaccine is due to arrive within the next 2 weeks.
This is correct. Just heard on the radio this morning that the EU has just approved export of millions of doses including those bound for Australia. We will have it by the end of February.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
This is correct. Just heard on the radio this morning that the EU has just approved export of millions of doses including those bound for Australia. We will have it by the end of February.

Which one are you gonna go with Chimpley ? Pfizer or the Holden Astra Zeneca ? (You pfizzle out on most things so I expect the Pfizer ?)

In-vitro testing suggests its pretty effective against the SA and UK variants whereas the AZ one, not so much.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Which one are you gonna go with Chimpley ? Pfizer or the Holden Astra Zeneca ? (You pfizzle out on most things so I expect the Pfizer ?)

In-vitro testing suggests its pretty effective against the SA and UK variants whereas the AZ one, not so much.
Well unlike you Chumpford I am under 65 years old so I won't get access to the Pfizer vaccine.

I know you're a big fan of Pete Evans so you probably won't get either vaccine will you?

Didn't you once own a Holden Astra? Geez they were shitboxes.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Well unlike you Chumpford I am under 65 years old so I won't get access to the Pfizer vaccine.

I know you're a big fan of Pete Evans so you probably won't get either vaccine will you?

Didn't you once own a Holden Astra? Geez they were shitboxes.

I've already had the vaccine - imported Peroni. Anti-bodies. Will take another dose tonight.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Thats not even what the report said. The AZ vaccine works fine against the UK variant (hence why the UK are still rolling it out, my sister had it last week).

The tests that came out from South Africa were on a very small number of people that had an average age of 31. Didn't seem to have much affect on mild reactions, but I think they said no-one in that group had a severe reaction. They need to test it again on the South Africa variant with those in higher risk categories, but if it comes back with the same results then the vaccine works.

There are only 2 purposes of a vaccine 1 - To eradicate a virus (like Smallpox) or 2 - To control the impact of a virus, ie. reduce the severity of the impact on individuals.

If the AZ vaccine doesn't protect too much against mild reactions but still blocks severe reactions then it is doing what it should do, very much like the flu vaccine. Unfortunately they still need to re-test those at higher risk, but everyone knew that these issues could come around with an accelerated vaccination development process.

Its 1 reason I'm not sure why we haven't adjusted our vaccination plan in Australia. I'm ok with vaccinations immediately with the Pfizer vaccine on HC workers and over 70's, but think we should hold on anyone else getting the vaccine.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Thats not even what the report said. The AZ vaccine works fine against the UK variant (hence why the UK are still rolling it out, my sister had it last week).

The tests that came out from South Africa were on a very small number of people that had an average age of 31. Didn't seem to have much affect on mild reactions, but I think they said no-one in that group had a severe reaction. They need to test it again on the South Africa variant with those in higher risk categories, but if it comes back with the same results then the vaccine works.

There are only 2 purposes of a vaccine 1 - To eradicate a virus (like Smallpox) or 2 - To control the impact of a virus, ie. reduce the severity of the impact on individuals.

If the AZ vaccine doesn't protect too much against mild reactions but still blocks severe reactions then it is doing what it should do, very much like the flu vaccine. Unfortunately they still need to re-test those at higher risk, but everyone knew that these issues could come around with an accelerated vaccination development process.

Its 1 reason I'm not sure why we haven't adjusted our vaccination plan in Australia. I'm ok with vaccinations immediately with the Pfizer vaccine on HC workers and over 70's, but think we should hold on anyone else getting the vaccine.

What I'm referencing isn't from a report but from Fauci's interview on CNN a week and a bit ago where he said that the Pfizer vaccine was showing greater effectiveness in the tube v AZ for both new variants. In the case of the UK variant, AZ was ok he said (thought maybe a 50%-60% efficacy ? Can't remember) but the Pfizer was better. Again, in the tube. We won't know exact performance for a while. And in the case of the SA variant - a much tougher variant to deal with - he was worried about the strength of both against it but suggested again, the Pfizer option might be better. He was much more worried about the SA variant than the UK one.

And now, we have a couple more UK variants apparently......

Last edited:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I don't believe its arrived yet. I think I heard that the Pfizer vaccine is due to arrive within the next 2 weeks.
February 22 is the expected date but could be a little later. First priority is hotel quarantine staff even before health workers.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Still very few cases here so I figure we are not going to be at the front of the queue. While it will take a long time to see if the vaccine reduces the spread it is likely to have some impact. Plus, if it means you can catch COVID and not get very sick or threaten your life then COVID just becomes a far smaller threat.

I see the numbers of new infections in the US are falling since late Jan, hopefully the death rate will start to come down too.

DS

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Very interesting episode of Q&A last night discussing the difference between the AZ & Pfizer vaccinies. Well worth a watch.

First it was completely kyboshed Morrison's crowd pleasing assertions that Australia is 'first in the queue' when clearly we're not & are in fact one of the last to start our quarantine program.

Secondly that expert Dr Michelle Ananda-Rajah cast genuine dispersion over the efficacy of the AZ vaccine against the SA & UK variants..& pointed out that the AZ roleout had been paused in South Africa because it doesn't work well at all. She also reminded us that the SA variant is already in Australia.

Is this why AZ is yet to be approved?

There's a lot of money & reputations invested in AZ here..

Last edited:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Secondly that expert Dr Michelle Ananda-Rajah cast genuine dispersion over the efficacy of the AZ vaccine against the SA & UK variants..& pointed out that the AZ roleout had been paused in South Africa because it doesn't work well at all. She also reminded us that the SA variant is already in Australia.

My view is that we should listen to Sharon Lewin. She is one of the leading infectious diseases experts in the world, runs the Doherty.
Her view was we have backed the right horses.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
My view is that we should listen to Sharon Lewin. She is one of the leading infectious diseases experts in the world, runs the Doherty.
Her view was we have backed the right horses.

She seemed to just parrot Coatesworth. There was very little distinction from her between the previous virus & the new variants.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Let’s hope we can get on top of this new wave. Some media reporting a new lockdown coming. I really hope our contact tracking is now world best as Dan Andrews claims.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Very interesting episode of Q&A last night discussing the difference between the AZ & Pfizer vaccinies. Well worth a watch.

First it was completely kyboshed Morrison's crowd pleasing assertions that Australia is 'first in the queue' when clearly we're not & are in fact one of the last to start our quarantine program.

Is this why AZ is yet to be approved?

This is essentially what Fauci said as well. AZ....dunno if it’s the cream of the crop. Better than nothing but seems a bit off in terms of effectiveness right now where variants are concerned. Long term might be a different story though ie easier to vary for new variants, easier to distribute etc.

We’ve got the csl in Broadmeadows with immense production capability but here we are still waiting. Good ole Slo-mo.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Let’s hope we can get on top of this new wave. Some media reporting a new lockdown coming. I really hope our contact tracking is now world best as Dan Andrews claims.

The fearmongering from the Herald Scum is relentless. Every case from the Holiday Inn cluster has been in isolation. We had more cases over the new year and there was never any talk of lockdown.

Sure, if we get more cases outside of Iso (samples have been found in sewerage, so it’s possible), we might have to look at bringing in more restrictions. But after what we have been through, scaring people with the threat of unsubstantiated lockdown rumours, is just about as low as you can go.