Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Carriers for whom the Australian market is high yield would likely embrace the idea of pre-travel testing.
Qantas' International operations is an obvious example. Air NZ and Singapore Airlines are others who I think would participate.
We can only hope. I have a long bucket list and time is slipping away

Reactions: 1 user

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Plenty of people were hesitant about rushing into a brand new vaccine and the suspicions have been justified, to a degree. We could've had millions in limbo regarding a second jab, plus a few casualties...

Now they can pause and properly review the data.
No symptoms of clotting after the first AZ jab apparently means it's all good to have the 2nd

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It will be interesting to see how they are planning to handle the storage requirements at very low temperatures of Pfizer for mass vaccinations. One of the reasons why it's been mainly hospitals who have stored this vaccine is that they have the capability

Hopefully they have thought that through?

One thing that's worth mentioning is that due to the need to keep it frozen, once they defrost it they can't, or won't, refreeze. Out here where I am they have been using predominantly Pfizer for the vaccinations. Hospitals, Doctors offices, community centres etc are converted to vaccination centres. It's not uncommon to see a line of people about 45mins before closing time. These are people who don't have an allocated appointment yet (too young) but are chancing that the vaccination centre has left over doses at the end of the day due to no-shows. Rather than ditch the doses, the centres will offer them to anyone who is around at the time and then book them in for the second.

Not sure if they'd do that in Aus as well, but it might be a way to queue jump.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
One thing that's worth mentioning is that due to the need to keep it frozen, once they defrost it they can't, or won't, refreeze. Out here where I am they have been using predominantly Pfizer for the vaccinations. Hospitals, Doctors offices, community centres etc are converted to vaccination centres. It's not uncommon to see a line of people about 45mins before closing time. These are people who don't have an allocated appointment yet (too young) but are chancing that the vaccination centre has left over doses at the end of the day due to no-shows. Rather than ditch the doses, the centres will offer them to anyone who is around at the time and then book them in for the second.

Not sure if they'd do that in Aus as well, but it might be a way to queue jump.
I know hospitals have actively sought out staff on wait lists to take the place of no shows at the end of the day for the same reason.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Non poltical question if they are allowed on this thread now.

How does the AZ vaccine know how old you are? In other words why does the blood clot risk decrease in older people?

My understanding is that the increased risk from having the vaccine for an over 50 is less than the risk of harm from the virus as the virus is more harmful to older people. Conversely, the increased risk of a blood clot from the vaccine is higher than the risk the virus represents for those who are younger and far more resilient to COVID.

I don't think it is a matter of the blood clots being more prevalent amongst younger people, just a risk assessment calculation.

I could be wrong but that is what I thought they were saying.

That said, I'm over 50 and if they offered me the vaccine tomorrow I would line up for the jab. Slow and steady is precisely the wrong way to approach this. Look at the USA now the Orange f***wit has gone - they are looking to vaccinate 300 million within a couple of months and watch the benefit they will get from this (as long as they don't open up too quickly). Gross incompetence from the Feds here and any claim that coalition has to good management is simply disproved by what we are seeing.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Believe a few Americans have got blood clots from Johnson n Johnson vaccine in last few days.
WIll be in the media this arvo i reckon.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Part of it also is the relationship between risk from the AZ vaccine and the risk of getting really sick from COVID. The older you are the more the relative risk of a blood clot versus the risk from COVID reduces.
I heard Professors Murphy and Griffin on Friday morning talk about that very point. Makes sense.
And he reminded us every medication has risks. That piece of paper that falls out of every pill packet I just chuck away has a scary list of side effects.

Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I heard Professors Murphy and Griffin on Friday morning talk about that very point. Makes sense.
And he reminded us every medication has risks. That piece of paper that falls out of every pill packet I just chuck away has a scary list of side effects.
Yep, I do my best to avoid medicines.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Coming from a slight position of ignorance. They now don't recommend the AZ vaccine for people under 50. But can I willingly volunteer to take it? I’m nearly 46 and don’t have blood pressure issues. I am in phase 2B and I don’t fancy waiting until 2021 if I can avoid it.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Coming from a slight position of ignorance. They now don't recommend the AZ vaccine for people under 50. But can I willingly volunteer to take it? I’m nearly 46 and don’t have blood pressure issues. I am in phase 2B and I don’t fancy waiting until 2021 if I can avoid it.
According to Scotty yes you can.
According to the AMA it might end up with you taking legal action against your GP so they're telling Doctors not to do it.
According to Hunt your GP is covered against legal action by the agreement the Federal Government has with the vaccine manufacturers.

It's about as clear as mud.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
According to Scotty yes you can.
According to the AMA it might end up with you taking legal action against your GP so they're telling Doctors not to do it.
According to Hunt your GP is covered against legal action by the agreement the Federal Government has with the vaccine manufacturers.

It's about as clear as mud.
mmmm, would you trust your GP or the Liberal Party?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Frightening chart for India.

ZnN6Vyc.jpg

• Wow

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
8 cases just reported in South Australia. (Hotel Quarantine).

India another record day....they are in very big trouble

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
What is the most competent government in the world? I’m super jaded at all levels in Australia. With that said our outcomes from public health perspective so far rank very highly. Couldn’t comment on economic outcomes.