Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
It’s incredible but somewhat logical that history will show how the quest for the perfect snag on the barbie caused our demise.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
i was answering a question to the post above mine lad, asking why have we closed border to India and not Brazil.

We havent close d from Brazil because 100 x more Indians come here.

I'm talking specifically about Australians. Why ban Australians if they have been to India but not if they have been to Brazil? The chances of being infected are about the same and you only need 1 person to be mishandled in quarantine to trigger another outbreak.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
This doesn’t sound good at all. Meanwhile our disastrous vaccination roll out just stumbles and trickles along....

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Baloo-the Government has made its decision (which i agree with)

In my workplace yesterday, we had the same discussion.

Was pretty much a 50/50 verdict.

Each to their own, but my belief is ScMo said 14 months ago "Get back home now"
Many many didnt listen, now they want in when the risk is high.

Unfortunately a lot of people chased the mighty $$$

I have some Indian friends who went back home to India late last year. I said "Why, its risky?
They didnt and couldnt give two *smile* and went.(were over in India no masks, no nothing posting on social media in large gatherings... luckily for them they got back to Victoria on schedule about 2months ago.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Baloo-the Government has made its decision (which i agree with)

In my workplace yesterday, we had the same discussion.

Was pretty much a 50/50 verdict.

Each to their own, but my belief is ScMo said 14 months ago "Get back home now"
Many many didnt listen, now they want in when the risk is high.

Unfortunately a lot of people chased the mighty $$$

I have some Indian friends who went back home to India late last year. I said "Why, its risky?
They didnt and couldnt give two *smile* and went.(were over in India no masks, no nothing posting on social media in large gatherings... luckily for them they got back to Victoria on schedule about 2months ago.

The Government makes plenty of ill conceived decisions that are populist in nature.

Why do you agree that Australians who have travelled to India should be treated differently to Australians who have travelled to Brazil, where the infection rate is about the same as India?

If our quarantine can handle Australians travelling from Brazil, and other high infection rate countries, why can't it handle Australians travelling from India? There isn't much logic there. The risk of an Australian with the virus being mishandled in quarantine are the same no matter where they are from.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The Government makes plenty of ill conceived decisions that are populist in nature.

Totally. they don't do what is necessarily right, but what will win them votes. I support banning flights from India. I support banning non-Australian citizens from flying to Australia from India. But banning Australian citizens from entering Australia under any circumstances is absolutely outrageous. But when you look at the way the cricketers have carried on (like self-indulgent flogs who knew the risks), it comes as no surprise that the people in general would support the government’s decision on this.

On a sidenote, if Andrews was PM and made this same decision, the right would all be calling him a dictator.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
This doesn’t sound good at all. Meanwhile our disastrous vaccination roll out just stumbles and trickles along....

Appears to be picking up.
If what I saw here in Perth on Tuesday is any indication. The Vaccination Centre at the Showgrounds was chockers and I've been told it's the same every day this week. The over 50's appear keen to get it done now.
Big change, I think, is the states getting hold of large volumes of vaccines and Canberra not being involved in sticking them in people's arms

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Appears to be picking up.
If what I saw here in Perth on Tuesday is any indication. The Vaccination Centre at the Showgrounds was chockers and I've been told it's the same every day this week. The over 50's appear keen to get it done now.
Big change, I think, is the states getting hold of large volumes of vaccines and Canberra not being involved in sticking them in people's arms
Appx 2.32 million jabs but next to zero fully vaccinated i.e. two jabs.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
proximity => numbers

Sure, but you just need 1 Australian mishandled in quarantine to start another spread. It doesn't matter where that Australian is from.

At the end of it all, there are other avenues to protect the country from Australians returning home who might be infected. Instead the Government chose the biggest, bluntest, easiest, most populist stick it could and used it to much fanfare and News Ltd press adulation. It's nothing more than another dog whistle used by this Government because to do anything constructive requires ministers with some idea of what they're doing.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Sure, but you just need 1 Australian mishandled in quarantine to start another spread. It doesn't matter where that Australian is from.

At the end of it all, there are other avenues to protect the country from Australians returning home who might be infected. Instead the Government chose the biggest, bluntest, easiest, most populist stick it could and used it to much fanfare and News Ltd press adulation. It's nothing more than another dog whistle used by this Government because to do anything constructive requires ministers with some idea of what they're doing.
That's true but if we get flooded by people from one particular hot zone there is much greater chance our quarantine gets breached. I don't imagine there are many coming here from Brazil. Remember that the decision was based on medical advice.

People are going to perceive it based on their existing socio-political framework so I'm not going to argue with your version.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Remember that the decision was based on medical advice.

People are going to perceive it based on their existing socio-political framework so I'm not going to argue with your version.

I'm perceiving it as an Australian citizen

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Appx 2.32 million jabs but next to zero fully vaccinated i.e. two jabs.
Agreed but there has been a significant upturn in vacination rates and you cannot get the 2nd AZ jab for 10-12 weeks.
As long as the trend carries on we're starting to go in the right direction, at least for the over 50's.
Given Pfizer is preferred for under 50's now and that Pfizer stocks are limited that's going to be an ongoing issue until the stocks arrive.
Wouldn't expect significant numbers amongst under 50's until early/mid 2022.

Last edited:

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
The ban and the penalty are two different topics. The flight ban was based on medical advice. The penalty is the deterrent.
and the penalty is written into the legislation that the ban is based on. It's not like it's something new they brought in just for this issue.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong

Why do you agree that Australians who have travelled to India should be treated differently to Australians who have travelled to Brazil, where the infection rate is about the same as India?

If our quarantine can handle Australians travelling from Brazil, and other high infection rate countries, why can't it handle Australians travelling from India? There isn't much logic there. The risk of an Australian with the virus being mishandled in quarantine are the same no matter where they are from.
i dont know the numbers but im guessing there are about 100k Indian/Australians over in india as well as 10,000 Australians (a guess)
In Brazil, their wouldnt be many Aussie over there (in my opinion). Maybe 2 or 3k....a lot different to 110k

If we said, OK IndianAustralians and Australians come home now, we would have thousands here next week and Covid 19 (Indian variant) here.

Again, just my opinion.

It is not racist

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
i dont know the numbers but im guessing there are about 100k Indian/Australians over in india as well as 10,000 Australians (a guess)
In Brazil, their wouldnt be many Aussie over there (in my opinion). Maybe 2 or 3k....a lot different to 110k

If we said, OK IndianAustralians and Australians come home now, we would have thousands here next week and Covid 19 (Indian variant) here.

Again, just my opinion.

It is not racist
What's the difference between Indian/Australians and Australians in your quote? I've only argued for Australians, i.e. Australian Passport holders. If your Indian/Australians also have an Australian Passport then you need to relook at your last line.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Indian/Australians (dual passport) holders who are both Australian and Indian.

There would be thousands and thousands over there (India).

Whereas at Brazil, there wouldnt be many Australian passport holders over there compared to India.

Again, i agree with what the Government is doing.