Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Read somewhere that India (sensibly) doesn't permit dual citizenship.
Legally not allowed but in reality there's many Indians who've taken up Australian citizenship without renouncing their Indian citizenship. The penalty if someone is caught travelling on their Indian Passport after taking up Australian citizenship is around the equivalent of AUD200 and it costs about the same to actually renounce their Indian citizenship.
That said if they do renounce their Indian Citizenship I believe that can still get an Overseas Citizenship of India Passport which allows them entry to India and residency but doesn't allow them to vote.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Read somewhere that India (sensibly) doesn't permit dual citizenship.
Why the "sensibly"?
I have been living in Denmark for 30 years, have a Danish wife, and two (adult) sons who speak both Danish and English as fluent first languages. I have a lot of friends here in the same situation. Our kids feel very comfortable as Danes and Australians culturally. I have no desire myself to take on Danish citizenship but for people like our kids I think it is appropriate.
That said, some of those "kids" now have kids of their own and the grandparents (the above mentioned friends) are talking about dual citizenship for them. Not sure I agree with that. A line needs to be drawn somewhere, otherwise you would have a never-ending line of dual citizens - and in some cases there are more than two citizenships.
Footnote: Denmark did not allow dual citizenship either until about eight years ago but they do now. My sons who are both (well) over 18 now hold both passports - and have a certificate of Australian citizenship.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Why the "sensibly"?
Please note this is not a major bugbear of mine and I don't want to debate it, but it's a rort that bestows privileges without obligation - travel, work, property ownership etc. I don't believe you as a permanent resident of Denmark should be entitled to influence Australian elections by voting.

As said, not losing sleep over it. It was more of an aside than anything.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Gladys marching to her own beat again & not shutting the city down. She's gotten lucky (or done well depending on your POV) previously.
Hopefully NSW gets on top of it again otherwise there's a chance we all pay..

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Please note this is not a major bugbear of mine and I don't want to debate it, but it's a rort that bestows privileges without obligation - travel, work, property ownership etc. I don't believe you as a permanent resident of Denmark should be entitled to influence Australian elections by voting.

As said, not losing sleep over it. It was more of an aside than anything.
I absolutely agree with that. I haven't voted in an Australian election since I left.
As a resident (even not being a citizen) I am allowed to vote in local Government elections in Denmark - and this is something which is considered more seriously here than it is in Australia. I am not allowed to vote in national elections.
Logically I think the eligibility to vote in elections (short term influence) should be linked to residence, but the eligibility to vote in a referendum (long term) should be linked to citizenship.
Then there is also the notion of whether or not you can vote for or against a government that is taxing you (and here, that is ALOT).

Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
We keep hearing from the Feds that the State Governments agreed in March 2020 to manage hotel quarantine.
Well that may or may not be true but what we do know is since that supposed agreement with the State Premiers, the virus has been declared as airborne.
That's an hugely important difference that required a complete rethink of using CBD hotels as quarantine facilities.
The Government really had to step up & take responsibility for a dedicated quarantine facility off shore. That they haven't when Quarantine is a Federal responsibility in the constitution is absolutely damning.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Gladys marching to her own beat again & not shutting the city down. She's gotten lucky (or done well depending on your POV) previously.

She has gotten very lucky (which is a great thing btw). But I am not comfortable that she goes about it differently than the other states. but I will also add that the other states react too much by shutting down if there are a couple of cases.

We keep hearing from the Feds that the State Governments agreed in March 2020 to manage hotel quarantine.
Well that may or may not be true but what we do know is since that supposed agreement with the State Premiers, the virus has been declared as airborne.
That's an hugely important difference that required a complete rethink of using CBD hotels as quarantine facilities.
The Government really had to step up & take responsibility for a dedicated quarantine facility off shore. That they haven't when Quarantine is a Federal responsibility in the constitution is absolutely damning.

no one is questioning that the states put their hands up to take on hotel quarantine. But the question no one is asking is why did the federal government let them when the constitution clearly states it’s their responsibility?

My theory is that Morrison stuffed up the bushfire response so badly that he didn’t wanna see a repeat of the negative media should there be a stuff up. So he agreed to handball it to the states.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Seriously, after how many times can you call it lucky? Depending on your POV? By any objective measure what they've done with outbreaks has worked, all your post does is highlight your inherent bias. Their early adoption of QR code signing in and superior contact tracing has allowed this. Light years in front of us here in Vic.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I agree, there really should be more transparency around this. And some consensus. The national cabinet takes advice on covid from the AHPPC. This is composed of the CMO's of Aust and the states. I'd love to know what advice they are providing and have provided to the nat cab on quarantine.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Have you seen the size of Australia and how remote most of it is? Doesn't need to be offshore, we have plenty of remote land to build a few centres. Unless you mean Tasmania.

My theory is that Morrison stuffed up the bushfire response so badly that he didn’t wanna see a repeat of the negative media should there be a stuff up. So he agreed to handball it to the states.
I think it's related to Ruby Princess. Feds blamed the State for allowing the passengers offshore without any sort of control and we ended up triggering Australia's big covid outbreak. Feds were spooked and decided that they didn't want that responsibility because it would look bad for them in the polls.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Have you seen the size of Australia and how remote most of it is? Doesn't need to be offshore, we have plenty of remote land to build a few centres. Unless you mean Tasmania.

If it’s on the mainland there’s a greater likelihood of transmission. Nothing is water tight but it would be better if there was a buffer off shore.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

I think it's related to Ruby Princess. Feds blamed the State for allowing the passengers offshore without any sort of control and we ended up triggering Australia's big covid outbreak. Feds were spooked and decided that they didn't want that responsibility because it good bad for them in the polls.
good point. on both.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Got the AZ jab today. No appointment, walk up at the Sunshine Hospital COVID centre. Minimal waiting, no muss, no fuss

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Got the AZ jab today. No appointment, walk up at the Sunshine Hospital COVID centre. Minimal waiting, no muss, no fuss

any raspberry jelly snakes migrating to your brain?

She has gotten very lucky (which is a great thing btw).

when someone is consistently lucky, its usually not luck.

I suspect they have the most competent response team in the land?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
any raspberry jelly migrating to your brain?

Just to clear up all the rumours about the vaccines:

First Shot: The microchip is injected and makes it's way to your brain and attaches itself to the primary auditory cortex.
Second Shot: The microchip is activated and you are plugged into "the Gates Network"

To test that activation has occurred, check your mobile phone to see if 5G is enabled.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Just to clear up all the rumours about the vaccines:

First Shot: The microchip is injected and makes it's way to your brain and attaches itself to the primary auditory cortex.
Second Shot: The microchip is activated and you are plugged into "the Gates Network"

To test that activation has occurred, check your mobile phone to see if 5G is enabled.

do you start collecting little kids and stuffing them down the tunnels after the 1st or 2nd?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
do you start collecting little kids and stuffing them down the tunnels after the 1st or 2nd?
Yeah, see that's part of the confusion. You're instructions will start arriving once over 50% of the population have been activated. I doubt you'd be stuffing kids in tunnels. More likely to be delivering to high-end restaurants and food delivery kitchens.

Reactions: 1 user