Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
37,552 cases
813 deaths (2%)
6,196 severe (16%) - previously described as "critical"; only a small increase on yesterday's 6,106
2,685 recovered (7%)

I'm interested in your take on the numbers so far Lee. In particular the 2% mortality rate seems to have stayed very steady. My gut feel is that the stats coming out of China are being manufactured to a large extent. They just appear too neat. Thoughts?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Less than 2% rate of deaths outside of China so far. What makes you think China are doctoring the stats? Do think they're inflating the stats

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I'm interested in your take on the numbers so far Lee. In particular the 2% mortality rate seems to have stayed very steady. My gut feel is that the stats coming out of China are being manufactured to a large extent. They just appear too neat. Thoughts?

I honestly have no idea apart from a general attitude of suspicion toward the Chinese government. Yes, the trend does appear "neat". Some estimates put the "real" figures higher by a factor of ten. China's response is costing billions daily and speaks volumes about the seriousness of the situation. Put it this way - we know they're not overestimates. I'm trusting the figures until I know not to trust them.

With all due respect to the people of China, the figures elsewhere are probably more relevant to us. Singapore & Thailand 7 new cases today, France 5. We're not closed to travellers from these places.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I read that the mortality rate is probably lower than 2%, as many people will encounter the virus and have only mild flu symptoms and never get diagnosed. It will be interesting to see if other countries show a similar rate to the Chinese ones.

Reactions: 1 user

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Less than 2% rate of deaths outside of China so far. What makes you think China are doctoring the stats? Do think they're inflating the stats
No, not really. It wouldn't surprise me if they were just making them up though, basically because they can say and do whatever they want.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
I honestly have no idea apart from a general attitude of suspicion toward the Chinese government. Yes, the trend does appear "neat". Some estimates put the "real" figures higher by a factor of ten. China's response is costing billions daily and speaks volumes about the seriousness of the situation. Put it this way - we know they're not overestimates. I'm trusting the figures until I know not to trust them.

With all due respect to the people of China, the figures elsewhere are probably more relevant to us. Singapore & Thailand 7 new cases today, France 5. We're not closed to travellers from these places.

Thanks. It will be interesting to see how they compare with what happens in a Western democracy. We'll never get the full story from China.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
40,553 cases
909 deaths (2.24%)
6,494 severe (16%)
3,322 recovered (8%)

Official figures at this stage suggest the spread of the virus is stabilising, before hopefully being reeled in.

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
40,553 cases
909 deaths (2.24%)
6,494 severe (16%)
3,322 recovered (8%)

Official figures at this stage suggest the spread of the virus is stabilising, before hopefully being reeled in.

Maybe in China, but the rate of confirmed cases is starting to rise in other countries. Where I am we're seeing local infection where people have had no known or traceable interaction with anyone from Wuhan. If anything it's now that *smile* gets serious.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Fantastic article here from the Straits Times interviewing a doctor on the frontline in Wuhan. He explains the prognosis - basically if you can survive three weeks you will survive. Those that die essentially go into full body autoimmune inflammation and suffer organ failure. Very hard to save people once in this state.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Fantastic article here from the Straits Times interviewing a doctor on the frontline in Wuhan. He explains the prognosis - basically if you can survive three weeks you will survive. Those that die essentially go into full body autoimmune inflammation and suffer organ failure. Very hard to save people once in this state.

That doctor is a fact machine!

Curious choice of words in a couple of places. "The patient who impressed me the most...", and "Her husband decided to give up". Decided not to spend any more money on treatment?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
That doctor is a fact machine!

Curious choice of words in a couple of places. "The patient who impressed me the most...", and "Her husband decided to give up". Decided not to spend any more money on treatment?

Yes, could be translation issues as I imagine it's gone from Mandarin to English. I think the husband probably "gave up" as he would have to have borrowed more money from relatives etc. I imagine 39K USD is a lot of money for most mainland Chinese people. "Impressed" could mean "pleasantly surprised" or something.

Reactions: 1 user
< Golf | TV shows >