Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
In my discussions with staff refusing to be vaxxed I have had two religious objections based on the use of stem cells in the manufacturing of the vaccine.

I did some research but there is an article on the ABC website about it

No way would I be giving giving them exemption for that.

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
My 90yr old MILs carer, (has been looking after her for near 2 years) Finished last Wednesday, because she refused to be vaxxed. The local council she works for has said "no vax no job". This woman is a trained nurse, it really makes me wonder!!!!
Yet for the whole of COVId to date she wasn't vaxed. Still performed her duties Under a safe protected protocol I presume? Logically the carer is less risk than ever in passing COVId to your mother in law. Doesn't explain her reluctance though. Good luck in getting a new carer that is as dedicated.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
In my discussions with staff refusing to be vaxxed I have had two religious objections based on the use of stem cells in the manufacturing of the vaccine.

I did some research but there is an article on the ABC website about it

And their excuse for the other vaccines is . . . ?

The religious objection doesn't stand scrutiny when you consider the other vaccinations the vast majority of the very same people have already received. It is an excuse.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Has Jeremy announced an action plan yet for these laggard LGA's yet?

However, Mr Weimar said there was a concern about low vaccination rates in certain pockets of Melbourne. There are only three local government areas in Victoria where the first dose rate is below 80 percent - Yarra, Stonnington and Port Phillip.

Last edited:

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Australia up to 21st/38 in OECD
There are only three local government areas in Victoria where the first dose rate is below 80 percent - Yarra, Stonnington and Port Phillip.
Pretty sure Darebin where I live is below 80%, unless there was a miraculous jump over the weekend.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I reckon they have read the room and are shifting the balance between what the health authorities' warnings are saying and what is possible.

DS
Or, they're being totally reactive and changing tack from their strategies of the last 18 months?

And perhaps realised that by almost any measure, despite having the harshest restrictions, VIC has been the worst performing state during covid. And it might be time to look at what other states are doing and perhaps follow their lead?

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Or, they're being totally reactive and changing tack from their strategies of the last 18 months?

And perhaps realised that by almost any measure, despite having the harshest restrictions, VIC has been the worst performing state during covid. And it might be time to look at what other states are doing and perhaps follow their lead?

Doubt it. Morely likely the vaccination rates have increased as such that the strain on hospitals isn't as bad as expected.

The other states have all implemented lockdowns when outbreaks have occurred so i'm not sure what you're getting at by "following the other states lead". Unless you mean NOT having a lockdown and seeding the virus into neighbouring states and countries, ala NSW.

Reactions: 1 users

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Wow just wow. I’ve told many people covid vax is a maths test. This stat is crazy.

View attachment 13908
I dont know the percentage of infected people who get covid and go to hospital v those who remain at home.
But....if we took a wild guess and said 1 in 10, that would mean that around 1 in every 100 non vaccinated adults in Victoria today is infected with covid.
Just shows it is not an uncommon illness and in time everyone will likely come in contact with it and if you are not vaccinated you have a decent chance of ending up hospitalised with it.
Loose figures I know, but gives some perspective.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Doubt it. Morely likely the vaccination rates have increased as such that the strain on hospitals isn't as bad as expected.

The other states have all implemented lockdowns when outbreaks have occurred so i'm not sure what you're getting at by "following the other states lead". Unless you mean NOT having a lockdown and seeding the virus into neighbouring states and countries, ala NSW.
Be in no doubt BTT , it is really bad in the hospitals at the moment. What it isn't is catastrophic, the system is coping but just. The true test will come in the next 2-4 weeks as the hospitalisations from these big case numbers start hitting them.
This is why what you say about vaccinations is absolutely correct. If we had opened up a month ago with the vaccinations rates as they were then, the numbers of cases would be much higher than they are now and so would the hospitalisations.
We have to remember that only about 9% of hospitalised people with COVID are fully vaccinated and if we had opened when the unvaccinated and single vaccinated numbers were 50-100% more than they are now it really would have been catastrophic.
In terms of managing the hospital system I think we have done pretty well so far but as I said the true test is the next month or so. From what I understand managing hospital capacity is the real basis for the timing of changes in restrictions rather than some follow the leader mentality.

• Sad

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I had a look at BBC.com...think.we will go past UK as they have flat lined in all the older age groups. Interesting that London rate of 64% is well below all other regions who are above 80%.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Be in no doubt BTT , it is really bad in the hospitals at the moment. What it isn't is catastrophic, the system is coping but just. The true test will come in the next 2-4 weeks as the hospitalisations from these big case numbers start hitting them.
This is why what you say about vaccinations is absolutely correct. If we had opened up a month ago with the vaccinations rates as they were then, the numbers of cases would be much higher than they are now and so would the hospitalisations.
We have to remember that only about 9% of hospitalised people with COVID are fully vaccinated and if we had opened when the unvaccinated and single vaccinated numbers were 50-100% more than they are now it really would have been catastrophic.
In terms of managing the hospital system I think we have done pretty well so far but as I said the true test is the next month or so. From what I understand managing hospital capacity is the real basis for the timing of changes in restrictions rather than some follow the leader mentality.

I'll definitely defer to you for the real experience within the hospital system in Vic, you seem to be in the know. I'd hate to be a health care worker right now, I imagine it feels like society's problems are being dumped at their feet.

I was just referencing what was said at the Press conference on Saturday by Dan, Jereon and co. It seems that not many people watch the press conferences anymore, but they do get asked these sorts of difficult questions about their decision making process, and from my perspective, they generally have logical answers for them and answer truthfully.

Reactions: 2 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Curious about the trend in cases v vax rates . In NSW they peaked in cases somewhere between 40 and 50% double vaxed. VIC cases took off at 40 climbed through 50 and even at 60 we are just leveling off....

frecks

Tiger Cub
Feb 24, 2008
I'll definitely defer to you for the real experience within the hospital system in Vic, you seem to be in the know. I'd hate to be a health care worker right now, I imagine it feels like society's problems are being dumped at their feet.

I was just referencing what was said at the Press conference on Saturday by Dan, Jereon and co. It seems that not many people watch the press conferences anymore, but they do get asked these sorts of difficult questions about their decision making process, and from my perspective, they generally have logical answers for them and answer truthfully.
Tiger covid positive , info from Age

• Wow

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Curious about the trend in cases v vax rates . In NSW they peaked in cases somewhere between 40 and 50% double vaxed. VIC cases took off at 40 climbed through 50 and even at 60 we are just leveling off....

If anyone can explain this they might just get a Nobel Prize.

It is very confusing the way that we locked down earlier and harder and yet ended up with more cases.

Sure, NSW got some extra vaccines and managed to get the vaccines out a bit quicker as a result, but the trend of cases versus vaccination percentages do not align between Victoria and NSW.

I'm sure there are plenty in the government and in the health research community trying to work this out too.

The modelling from Burnett has changed a bit with the quicker vaccination so I think that may have a bit to do with relieving the lockdown rules a bit more, but also they would be looking at compliance with the rules and what they think they can get people to do. Not much point having rules which no-one follows, better to have rules which most people will follow. No doubt a difficult balancing act though.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

yes, I was agreeing with your points BT. I just didn't want anyone to think even though it is not as bad as some expected that it wasn't still really difficult.

Evidently Virginia Trioli had someone call this morning in tears saying she was in chronic pain but had her elective surgery deferred again. The distress from her and many others is that the only reason why her surgery is getting deferred is because the hospitals are clogged with people who won't get vaccinated

It actually makes me bloody angry at times.

• Sad