Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
My understating is that ATAGI advice is imminent DS.
First priority will be healthcare workers as well as the vulnerable like aged care and disability.
We also have to deal with the 12-16 age group very soon
12-16 are getting vaxed now. Primary school kids- 5-11- are the next concern, but talk has been they could be getting vaxed by Christmas.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Yeah, I'm thinking a bit longer given the supplies and the priority to get the first 2 jabs to as many as possible.

Also, we will need to wait for ATAGI to work out what vax those who have had AZ get given we are no longer making AZ at CSL. Still looking at what is happening overseas to get some idea of what is the best combo. Plus, I presume there is more research happening to try and make the vaccinations even better.

So, I'm thinking more Feb/March 2022 but it will certainly be somewhere around December to March.

DS

DS, MRNA vaccines are the preferred vaccines for booster shots anyway and what they will be using in UK so AZ not relevant in that regards.
There is no issue in having had AZ and then an MRNA booster, there was some talk/theories but no studies that AZ with an MRNA booster might be an advantage?
Being over 50 and having had a history of health issues I will still be pretty cautious until I can get my hands on a booster.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
From the RACPG.

“Protection against symptomatic disease caused by the Delta variant peaked in the first weeks after the second dose, then fell to 47.3% and 69.7% beyond 20 weeks for AstraZeneca and Pfizer respectively. The study suggested efficacy declined more steeply for those aged over 65.”

Do we know if the booster shot provides longer protection? Or will we have to go for a 4th shot another further 6 months down the track?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Do we know if the booster shot provides longer protection? Or will we have to go for a 4th shot another further 6 months down the track?

This is taken from the above article i posted:

Will the booster programme be repeated every year?​

Lim said the advice issued on Tuesday did not imply that there would be a recurrent programme of booster doses every six months.

“I don’t think I can say very much about the future booster programmes because we just don’t have the data,” he said.

One other suggestion was that a Covid-19 jab might be combined with a flu jab, particularly for vulnerable people.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Dunno Ian. I read somewhere some time ago that there was a general thought that the more doses you had, the more your body would build up an anti body wall longer term and the necessity for 6 month doses might be reduced, but I haven’t heard or seen any studies or reports.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
From the RACPG.

“Protection against symptomatic disease caused by the Delta variant peaked in the first weeks after the second dose, then fell to 47.3% and 69.7% beyond 20 weeks for AstraZeneca and Pfizer respectively. The study suggested efficacy declined more steeply for those aged over 65.”

yeah but 'symptomatic disease' isn't really relevant is it?

preventing hospitalisation is the name of the game, and the efficacy for that is much higher.

dunno about the drop off.

Im also still waiting to hear a decent explanation of your protection from future illness once you've inevitably had Covid after being vaccinated?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
yeah but 'symptomatic disease' isn't really relevant is it?

preventing hospitalisation is the name of the game, and the efficacy for that is much higher.

dunno about the drop off.

Im also still waiting to hear a decent explanation of your protection from future illness once you've inevitably had Covid after being vaccinated?
Yes, but when the symptomatic effectiveness drops off, it’s only logical that the full range of symptomatic levels - everything from low level to high level requiring hospitalisations - goes up. The latter I’m assuming being propagated by elderly and underlying health issue patients who have hit the grey zone 4-6 months after their second shots.

That is why the UK health system is back under pressure again with a surge in hospitalisations.

The Israelis saw this happening as well, and jumped on it quickly with a massive rapid fire booster program.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Yes. I meant about as an issue of priority to get them Vaxxed before boosters or not
true, i believe the rates for kids were quite high, 75% rings a bell, hopefully they continue to rise, and the younger kids get on board, then boosters, all by early next year.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
true, i believe the rates for kids were quite high, 75% rings a bell, hopefully they continue to rise, and the younger kids get on board, then boosters, all by early next year.
we seem to be able to handle 100,000 a day which hopefully is enough to clean up the remaining stragglers, 12 -16 year olds and also boosters initially for frontline health workers and the vulnerable and then on to others. I would expect <12s to be in line soon as well.
I know demand for vaccinations at public hospitals has dropped which is probably a good sign because it means the community based vax programs are working well. They will have to ramp up when their own staff start getting boosters.
We are giving boosters already btw to a select group of immune deficient citizens such as people undergoing cancer treatment etc

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
DS, MRNA vaccines are the preferred vaccines for booster shots anyway and what they will be using in UK so AZ not relevant in that regards.
There is no issue in having had AZ and then an MRNA booster, there was some talk/theories but no studies that AZ with an MRNA booster might be an advantage?
Being over 50 and having had a history of health issues I will still be pretty cautious until I can get my hands on a booster.

Yeah, but we still have to wait for ATAGI, hopefully they won't take too long.

The limited data at the moment seems to point to those who had AZ getting Moderna, but Pfizer pretty similar.

The 3rd dose will go out to those who most need it for the short term, then I figure it will be widened. All that makes perfect sense as those who got the initial vaccine won't need it until later. I had my first dose in May, but that of course meant second dose in August, so 6 months is Feb for a lot of us.

We won't know for a while, but hopefully the third dose will be it. Just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, they need to keep producing AZ and giving it away to countries who have not yet had their first and second doses.

DS

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Fair enough...the announcement of people needing another jab in about 3 or 4 months seems only weeks away.
Waiting for everyone to get fully jabbed first I suppose.

Could be 2 jabs a year forever.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL has released a predictable and largely unavoidable policy - no jab, no play.

Well, it had to happen as states are saying that footballers would be subject to mandatory vaccinations, plus, travel to other states would likely be impossible, especially WA.

That said, no jab, no play is the right policy. It clears everything up and Australian Rules Football is a contact sport so the players really do need to be vaccinated. Plus, it means there are no questions, all players will be vaccinated.

I suspect we will get the same message early in 2022: no jab, no go to footy.

DS

Reactions: 4 users