Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I'm over case numbers now. Got any data on hospitalisations or deaths in the UK for those double vaxxed Red?
The case numbers will still be important for some time to come though. They’ll tell scientists how effective the vaccines are in terms of preventing transmissibility - especially important as new vaccines get developed and also how we deal with inevitable, new variants.

But to answer your question, in total, from non vaxxed and vaxxed, the UK is experiencing just over a 1,000 hospitalisations a day (below). Way too many to keep having to cope with. The total split between unvaccinated and vaccinated I’m not sure. All I’ve read is the following:

“But of the people admitted to hospital between Sept. 13 and Oct. 10, the vast majority were unvaccinated. Hospitalization rates were more than twice as high in unvaccinated people across all age groups, compared to those who had received two doses of a vaccine.”

1635146847658.jpeg

But what’s concerning is that with 80% of +12 fully vaccinated in the UK, you’d expect the elderly to have a very high rate off full vaccination. But unfortunately, and somewhat confusingly given the aforementioned 2:1 unvaccinated v vax hospitalisation rates, the elderly are making up by far the highest proportion of hospitalisations (below). Ergo, the vaccines are maybe losing their effectiveness more critically for the elderly ? And that’s why the BMA and other health bodies are so concerned about the booster program in the UK.

It could be affected by the non vaxxed elderly too, of course. Hard to say from afar.

1635149239452.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
As more people get vaxxed the hospitalization rates for vaxxers will steadily climb anyway. Unfortunately, no good can come from being old and frail. As someone once lamented 'everything just falls apart.'
Roll on boosters...

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
As more people get vaxxed the hospitalization rates for vaxxers will steadily climb anyway. Unfortunately, no good can come from being old and frail. As someone once lamented 'everything just falls apart.'
Roll on boosters...
Tell me about it. Feels and sounds like half my joints have steaming hot rice bubbles in them.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I don't agree with cancellation but as soon as you equate vaccination with the Tiananmen massacres of thousands of people shot and crushed into a paste by People's Army tanks then you make it pretty hard for your publisher.
Shocking decision. Cartoonists are meant to push the envelope.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
was up at Chatswood for a bit, which is predominately Asian and almost everyone had a mask on.. they've always been aware, even prior to Covid, of other peoples health ..
It‘s a long way from Chatswood to the top of the gulf…

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Please don’t spread misinformation - deaths aren’t skyrocketing and the health system isn’t being overwhelmed.

Yes.

Two things to consider - one, we have Delta, and two, the UK is largely opened up now. Case rates and hospitalisations are still below the peaks of last year when they were in lockdown and death rates are much, much lower. Daily cases are getting up there, but cases by themselves are not the most informative stat.

1635194265824.png

The really significant stat now is deaths. Between 100-200 a day right now but still way below the peak of the second wave, 1800 per day. The UK is pretty much the worst in Europe, I blame the Glazers and Ole Gunnar Solksjaer for this

1635194314930.png

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
1. I didn’t say deaths were sky rocketing. Can you read ?
2. The BMA disagrees with you.

Please read posts properly.
You’re going to need to explain it to me - I can’t see any other way of taking it.

“There were 330,000 cases in the UK this last week, and whilst we should now be focussing on sickness/hospitalisation/mortality numbers, those themselves are sky rocketing. The UK health system can’t cope.”

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
And the BMA represent doctors/GP’s who are currently working less hours, getting paid more and cracking the sads because they’ve been asked to go back to holding more face to face consultations, rather than telephone and zoom ones as they have been.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Not sure whether being an anti vaxxer counts as 'pushing the envelope'. I mean in a sense it does but not in a good way.

when Leunig does cartoons that reinforced our sensibilities, we tore them out and put them on the fridge.

when he does one that doesnt, we sack him?

If we want social commentary to only reinforce and reflect the prevailing, or our own viewpoint, might as well draw our own cartoons straight on the fridge and cut out the middleman.

daffy duck got his beak blown off every Saturday morning.

on Anti-vaxxers. I am not one. I was first in line, and not in the Scott Morrison sense.

but I know people who are on the anti-vax spectrum. They aren't raging looney misinformation on facebook and sabotaging clinics (far right of the spectrum), they have concerns they keep to themselves, none I agree with, or even respect much, but some of which I totally understand. The ones I know are young, have never consented to have a vaccine as adults because they have never seen severe disease in their lives, are misinformed by social media about the severity of covid, and perhaps most importantly,

are cynical, angry and defiant at white old middle-class decision makers who have largely *smile* up their world socially, economically and environmentally.

I reckon if Politicians said 'thou shall not be vaccinated', several I know on the anti-vaxer spectrum would seek out a black market vaccine and get it in a back lane behind a tattoo shop at midnight.

this nuance is a cartoonists job to process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not sure whether being an anti vaxxer counts as 'pushing the envelope'. I mean in a sense it does but not in a good way.

His absurdist whimsical take doesn't really blend well with images of the state crushing people to death with tanks to make an asinine point about vaccination.

I mean, it's not even on brand for Leunig. Mind you, I haven't looked at his stuff for years so don't know if he's been slowly going off his rocker all that time.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
“There were 330,000 cases in the UK this last week, and whilst we should now be focussing on sickness/hospitalisation/mortality numbers, those themselves are sky rocketing. The UK health system can’t cope.”
Maybe I should have separated out hospitalisation numbers better. They are nearly 7,000 per week. They were about 700 per week back in May.

That’s skyrocketing in anyone’s language don’t you think ?

There’s endless stories from the UK’s health leaders voicing their concerns.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
And the BMA represent doctors/GP’s who are currently working less hours, getting paid more and cracking the sads because they’ve been asked to go back to holding more face to face consultations, rather than telephone and zoom ones as they have been.
Gee. Way to go supporting those at the frontline. Doesn’t have anything to do with hospitalisation rates anyway.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
His absurdist whimsical take doesn't really blend well with images of the state crushing people to death with tanks to make an asinine point about vaccination.

I mean, it's not even on brand for Leunig. Mind you, I haven't looked at his stuff for years so don't know if he's been slowly going off his rocker all that time.

a carpenter (and orthopaedic surgeon) uses hammer, nails, saw, drill, screws

a cartoonist (and a journalist) uses juxtaposition, polarisation, absurdity, controversy, simplicity, exaggeration