Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
An interesting read.

So we're back to bat soup lady and people eating bats because they're believed to be "lucky" creatures?

The UN should do something useful and apply pressure to stop the trafficking of non-domesticated animals. No money in it though.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
So we're back to bat soup lady and people eating bats because they're believed to be "lucky" creatures?

The UN should do something useful and apply pressure to stop the trafficking of non-domesticated animals. No money in it though.
Be good if trafficking/farming domesticated animals could be stopped too.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
WHO said the naming guidelines are to avoid stigmatisation. Viruses names are not to refer to specific geographical locations, animals or people.
So yes it's politically correct.

Im gonna call it Peter Dutton Canberra's Nazi Dog Virus

That'll get the PC crazy fun police gone mad going.

PDCND-V

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Be good if trafficking/farming domesticated animals could be stopped too.

Hey steady on.

I just sold a stack of cows to china for record prices, cause all their pigs died.

here is a typical Chinese menu I found on the internet

sweet and sour pork beef
pork beef wanton noodle soup
black bean roll with pork beef
pork belly beef with Sichuan pepper

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Hey steady on.

I just sold a stack of cows to china for record prices, cause all their pigs died.

here is a typical Chinese menu I found on the internet

sweet and sour pork beef
pork beef wanton noodle soup
black bean roll with pork beef
pork belly beef with Sichuan pepper

:))

Just talking about puppy farming eZyT, a deplorable practice.

I'm a big fan of bully beef, beef jerky and pulled beef, but have pulled pork more often.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
3270XIi.jpg

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Startling jump in cases in the official figures.

60,376 cases - up 34% on yesterday
1,369 deaths (2.27%) - jump of 254 on yesterday
8,219 severe (14%) - not updated today as yet
6,066 recovered (10%)

NB Big increase due to decision to include "clinically diagnosed" cases in the figures, and there are 13,332 of these in Hubei.

Doesn't explain the 22% jump in deaths though.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The big jump was a reclassification of reported cases, not a one day jump of 13k.

The cases outside of China is the one to watch, at the moment still accelerating

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012

I think the UN should jump in and stop people from eating or using any meat or animal products. It would prevent millions of cases of food poisoning worldwide. Not to mention the chance of bird flu or swine flu.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
So the reason for the spike is because they are now including cases that have been proven by clinical diagnosis, which is a CT scan.
It makes me wonder what the actual death toll really is.

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I think the UN should jump in and stop people from eating or using any meat or animal products. It would prevent millions of cases of food poisoning worldwide. Not to mention the chance of bird flu or swine flu.

yes. Only grass fed, certified Peter Dutton Canberras Nazi Dog Virus-free, free range, carbon offset, beef

it's healthy. expensive but.

goes great with Sichuan pepper

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
WHO said the naming guidelines are to avoid stigmatisation. Viruses names are not to refer to specific geographical locations, animals or people.
So yes it's politically correct.
No it’s not it’s practical. For instance there are people in this world who will think that if a virus is called Spanish flu that you have to be Spanish to catch it, or go to Spain or be in contact with a Spanish person.
This happens, you only need to look in Chinese restaurants here now. It’s madness and stupidity but it happens.
You are trying to make it sound like some attempt to not offend someone or a race,to be politically correct.
It’s actually a reaction to stereotyping and stupidity, hence why you don’t hear of Spanish flu and Hong Kong flu anymore
I went to a medical briefing on this virus earlier this week and the question was asked if Chinese people were more susceptible to the virus. They want to minimise this sort of stupidity.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
No it’s not it’s practical. For instance there are people in this world who will think that if a virus is called Spanish flu that you have to be Spanish to catch it, or go to Spain or be in contact with a Spanish person.
This happens, you only need to look in Chinese restaurants here now. It’s madness and stupidity but it happens.
You are trying to make it sound like some attempt to not offend someone or a race,to be politically correct.
It’s actually a reaction to stereotyping and stupidity, hence why you don’t hear of Spanish flu and Hong Kong flu anymore
I went to a medical briefing on this virus earlier this week and the question was asked if Chinese people were more susceptible to the virus. They want to minimise this sort of stupidity.

Quite a trivial thing to argue about, but here is the story of how Ebola was named.
The virus had surfaced in a village called Yambuku, so it could be named after the village, argued one team member, Dr. Pierre Sureau, of the Institut Pasteur in France, Piot recalls.

But naming the virus Yambuku would run the risk of stigmatizing the village, said another scientist, Dr. Joel Breman, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This had happened before, for example, in the case of Lassa virus, which emerged in the town of Lassa in Nigeria in 1969.

It was Karl Johnson, another researcher from the CDC, and the leader of the research team, who suggested naming the virus after a river, to tone down the emphasis on a particular place.

https://www.livescience.com/48234-how-ebola-got-its-name.html

I'll concede it was never going to be named 'Wuhan', now or 50 years ago. If it blows up globally it'll get a less flattering nickname than 'COVID', I'm sure.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I give up.

As you should. It's exactly as ToO said - avoided so as not to stigmatise a specific location.

Nobody knows where the *smile* Ebola River is, but they sure know what happens if you get it. Personally I'd never heard of Wuhan before, either.

Last edited:

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like everything will be fine now you're here to save the world. Has WHO been in touch?

Yeh, basically said we're all *smile*, if coronavirus doesn't get ya a climate fire sure will. Or a climate flood or climate cyclone or pehaps even a climate hailstone. Just hope it happens after the 2020 flag.