Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
There are now 285 cases stemming from cruise ships in NSW, roughly one in seven

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
World Figures
Currently Infected
Mild Condition
(95%)
Serious or Critical
(5%)

Cases with Outcome
Recovered/Discharged
(82%)
Deaths
(18%)

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Better late that never. Aussie government have now joined the party to offer wage subsidies. Good option but need to see the detail to be sure but looks good right now.

Reactions: 1 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
This is quality information. I’d follow the above before anything else being reported.

Out of curiosity, did they give an indication of the recommended dose for the vitamins?
thanks 123. I trust this guy as well. He wasn’t specific but the vitamins are in a tablet called ‘Immune’. C,D, and Zinc are the ones. Too much C is no good, but 2000mg per day is fine. He said today he’s “necking fruit” and “alfalfa, parsley, ginger”. the other vitamin tablet he mentioned was ArmaForce.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The obsession with Donald Trump while the whole world literally goes to hell will make for a fascinating future study. You have my sympathies.
Focusing on the leader of a SuperPower who's country is currently getting hit very hard by this pandemic isn't that strange at all. His decisions and actions will make a big impact globally

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Focusing on the leader of a SuperPower who's country is currently getting hit very hard by this pandemic isn't that strange at all. His decisions and actions will make a big impact globally

There's little he or anyone can do at this stage to stop it. The chain reaction is going to play out to the end. Confining people to their homes in "the land of the free" is going to go over even worse than it has here.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
You can find plenty more anecdotes of young people dying of flu, because more young people die of flu! Seriously why go to twitter for anecdotes when you can go to the official sources and get the data.

View attachment 9682

Huh? Not an anecdote, a statement of fact. Not from Twitter, a story from The Sydney Morning Herald relayed on Twitter. Do better BJ.

I posted it simply to make it clear that while most deaths are in the vulnerable age groups/health groups this thing does kill people outside those groups too. Putting a name and a face on it sometimes helps people to see it differently and imagine that was why the story went to press.

Flu kills so many because of the sheer number of infections. By % infected flu kills less than COVID-19, flu mortility is, what, <1%? Apple for apples if COVID-19 were to spread to as many as the flu does it would kill an order of magnitude more people than flu.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Exactly what the plan is. Delay the spread now to give time to get more ICU beds set up and massively increase the medical supplies. In addition to then spread the confimed cases over a lot longer.

If we are successful then the Government will begin to kick start the economy to get 4 or 5 of the 8 cylinders working until the vaccine is available and administered. Time wise will depend on what we all do now and for the next few months.

Just expect the borders to Australia to remain closed for 12/24 months. Reopening will be based on the state of the virus in the rest of the world
TP many here have been wanting this action for weeks/ months. And to act before it becomes a widespread problem, because that will reduce the economic fallout.
Instead its been a half-in half-out approach.
From reports they have been slow to organise and buy supplies.

Agree on borders. We are based in France and expect it to be much harder to travel to oz for the next year.

Personally I remain sceptical that the peak in oz will be june july. This sems to be based on seasonal flu modelling, so based on an endemic virus with immunity in the population.
Instead it has hit every country faster than that country predicted. The spread once it hits the 1,000s is like wildfire.

Time will tell but I prefer that Australia is well prepared, not reactive and hoping that its not too bad
Stamp it out, not spread it out.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
He's only telling the truth.
Its the underlying message. Trump is shifting the goalposts to the forecast outcome, so that he can claim to have done a good job.

This has not been his message since January.
It has changed now. And much too late
Watch him at election time refer back to this statement.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Its the underlying message. Trump is shifting the goalposts to the forecast outcome, so that he can claim to have done a good job.

This has not been his message since January.
It has changed now. And much too late
Watch him at election time refer back to this statement.

Talk of getting back to work by Easter was patently absurd. The messaging until now has been unrealistic. Nobody wants to believe that the world can literally stop.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
jLUAyvK.jpg

Rolling over nicely after Satuday's blip. Keep doing the right thing.

Reactions: 2 users
B

Bill James

Huh? Not an anecdote, a statement of fact. Not from Twitter, a story from The Sydney Morning Herald relayed on Twitter. Do better BJ.

I posted it simply to make it clear that while most deaths are in the vulnerable age groups/health groups this thing does kill people outside those groups too. Putting a name and a face on it sometimes helps people to see it differently and imagine that was why the story went to press.

Flu kills so many because of the sheer number of infections. By % infected flu kills less than COVID-19, flu mortility is, what, <1%? Apple for apples if COVID-19 were to spread to as many as the flu does it would kill an order of magnitude more people than flu.
anecdote

NOUN
  1. a short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.
It is an anecdote because its an interesting story about a real incident or person, its just not useful data to explain the risks to the population.

Across all ages, flu kills more people than COVID, because it infects more people. But;

Flu is more lethal than COVID in under 30yo, the data is very clear., It infects more people and kills more people who catch it.
Flu is about as lethal as COVID in 30-60yo, with about the same deaths per lab confirmed case (I posted a paper reviewing 50 studies on flu epidemiology).
COVID is significantly more lethal than flu in cases over 60yo.

Quite simply the flu presents a greater risk to under 30yo and a similar risk to 30-60yo. Evidence suggests the young ones don't even transmit it very well.

So why are we shutting down the productive workforce and destroying millions of peoples livlihoods when the risk is less than the flu in that demographic and the older people can be protected by isolation?

Please don't pretend we are trying to save lives, or we would shut down childcare facilities because young children play large role in the transmission of flu and they die from it in significant numbers.

At best we are trying to stop a surge in critical case admissions, so given that virtually all the critical cases are in the over 60 demographic, this can be fixed by isolation of that deomographic at home.

Its beyond me, and makes me angry that just like Greenspans dotcom rescue, and the GFC rescue our kids will pay for years for something they had little role in creating.

B

Bill James

jLUAyvK.jpg

Rolling over nicely after Satuday's blip. Keep doing the right thing.
I'd like to see the repatriated cases backed out of these numbers so we have a better idea of how we are doing on local transmission, particularly local transmission to the older demographic.

B

Bill James

Wouldn't bank a rollover yet. The drop in total new Australia cases since 27th of March is almost entirely due to the drop in repatriated cases to NSW.

200330 NSW new cases by transmission source..PNG

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Talk of getting back to work by Easter was patently absurd. The messaging until now has been unrealistic. Nobody wants to believe that the world can literally stop.
Everything that comes out of the guy's mouth is absurd. Yesterday it was quarantine New York then a back flip hours later.

Also don't forget the WH gave 18B tonnes of masks, respirators and other medical kit to China in Feb.

China Aid

It would've been a very nice American thing to do if they had replaced them or kept aside some for themselves. When he claims Obama left the cupboard bare and system broken he conveniently omits this "generosity". Now he's bagging companies such as Chevrolet to start making respirators. He's also tweeting about some company that should get FDA approval to recycle masks as most hospitals are at critical levels.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
anecdote

NOUN
  1. a short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.
It is an anecdote because its an interesting story about a real incident or person, its just not useful data to explain the risks to the population.

Across all ages, flu kills more people than COVID, because it infects more people. But;

Flu is more lethal than COVID in under 30yo, the data is very clear., It infects more people and kills more people who catch it.
Flu is about as lethal as COVID in 30-60yo, with about the same deaths per lab confirmed case (I posted a paper reviewing 50 studies on flu epidemiology).
COVID is significantly more lethal than flu in cases over 60yo.

Quite simply the flu presents a greater risk to under 30yo and a similar risk to 30-60yo. Evidence suggests the young ones don't even transmit it very well.

So why are we shutting down the productive workforce and destroying millions of peoples livlihoods when the risk is less than the flu in that demographic and the older people can be protected by isolation?

Please don't pretend we are trying to save lives, or we would shut down childcare facilities because young children play large role in the transmission of flu and they die from it in significant numbers.

At best we are trying to stop a surge in critical case admissions, so given that virtually all the critical cases are in the over 60 demographic, this can be fixed by isolation of that deomographic at home.

Its beyond me, and makes me angry that just like Greenspans dotcom rescue, and the GFC rescue our kids will pay for years for something they had little role in creating.

I don't know why you are continuing to post advice on a topic you know nothing about.

1. This is orders of magnitude deadlier than the seasonal flu.
2. It's spreading more quickly.

But here's really critical thing. Due to the rapidity of the spread, the lack of any immunity in the population, and the lack of any effective prophylactic vaccines or post exposure antivirals (both of which we have for seasonal influenza), this is overwhelming medical resources and that in itself is causing, and will continue to cause more preventable deaths than just the virus itself.

Do you really think that this many healthcare workers contract and die from the flu every year? Do you honestly expect people to believe that the seasonal flu causes hospitals to create makeshift morgues in tents and skating rinks like in New York and Lombardy? They are literally running out of room for bodies. And this is even after extreme global measures are being taken that are never taken for seasonal influenza.

Debate the best way to deal with this threat, sure. You can advocate for less extreme measures to try to balance supporting the economy instead of lives. There is some logic to that.

But stop spreading misleading information.

Reactions: 6 users
< TV shows | Golf >