Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
NZ announce no restrictions. Full crowds etc expected to return to sports. No restrictions on gatherings.

Wow, well done, but I suppose with no cases since 21 May they can do this. I hope their testing has been comprehensive.

Hopefully we can get to that point too, then we can go to the footy and unfurl the flag :cupgold

DS

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Wow, well done, but I suppose with no cases since 21 May they can do this. I hope their testing has been comprehensive.

Hopefully we can get to that point too, then we can go to the footy and unfurl the flag :cupgold

DS
Amen!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Sweden admit failings in their approach

A gambling system that keeps losing money can only fight reality for so long. They have indeed been haughty but I get no pleasure from this mea culpa. The fact they are something of a European pariah for not sending aid to Italy supports the belief that their policy was in part dictated by lack of resources.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Plenty of suspicion emerging that the UK Government has been fudging their numbers as damage control. Absolutely disgraceful if true.

Where did you hear/read that, ToO...? I live in the UK and haven’t heard anything along those lines.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
I don't think it was ever the strategy here, but judged in hindsight the NZ Stage 4, 4 week lockdown may turn out to be the best both from a health perspective & economically.

The irony of your statement is the one state that banned golf and had the tightest restrictions is the one that lead the way in May for new cases for all the wrong reasons. And it all happened before restrictions were lifted. Perhaps the poor handling of the cedar meats outbreak should draw more of your scorn than "golfers"? It accounts for about a quarter of the nations new cases since start of May.

You say 'judged in hindsight' only because you were wrong in foresight.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
You say 'judged in hindsight' only because you were wrong in foresight.

At what stage did either the NZ or AUST govt talk about eliminating the virus as the strategy when they imposed restrictions? It’s been a fantastic result/by product from the main strategy of saving lives.

I’ve had as much say in the strategy as others on here.

You’re still getting paid and telling the unemployed to suck it up?

Do you know how many people with addictions have fallen off the wagon in this time? Do you give a *smile* about them?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Deaths per million

820 Belgium

580 UK, Spain
555 Italy

443 Sweden, France

348 Netherlands

This is a difficult one as Belgium are saying they count more people as having died of COVID19 than other countries do, apparently they count deaths which look like COVID19 but are not confirmed by a test. There was an article in The Age Saturday I think.

I suspect the numbers from most countries are under-estimates. The numbers from the Spanish Flu 100 years ago are estimates, our numbers now are probably a lot better but far from accurate.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Perhaps the poor handling of the cedar meats outbreak should draw more of your scorn than "golfers"? It accounts for about a quarter of the nations new cases since start of May.

It's a factor but I've got Victoria providing 66% of cases since May 1 (328/500). We're passing the torch around.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Just found this thread, thought I'd provide a quick update from Florida. Interesting times here. In our neck of the woods, you'd swear we had it beaten. Bars, restaurants open with some token restrictions. Shops open. Very few masks in sight (though in grocery stores and some other places they're mandatory). I was in LA just over a week ago (yep, I flew, plane was full... had no choice but it was bad), much more strict there, because they're still copping a hammering. I can only imagine how the riots might spark up even more cases. In summary, it appears that as a nation we're ok with 1000 deaths a day, but I notice the case diagnosis is flat and maybe trending a little up again.
I try not to be the Expat who bags the US but it's pretty *smile* up here right now. Coronavirus, protests, cops killing and injuring people daily. Oh, and there's a hurricane forming in the Gulf. I'd come home, but I'd rightly be thrown in quarantine for a couple of weeks - doesn't sound like a good holiday.

Reactions: 5 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
In summary, it appears that as a nation we're ok with 1000 deaths a day, but I notice the case diagnosis is flat and maybe trending a little up again.

Been a long, slow turn, like the Queen Mary.

3NAxOME.jpg

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
A report on the WHO today in The Age which shows an organisation short on information and resources and fraught with internal politics. This is pretty much what I had heard. The wild theories of collusion between China and the WHO and them running the lab in Wuhan are just that, wild theories.
How to deal with China is the conundrum. The hammer won't work but it's definitely not easy, they are already denying this report

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
This is a difficult one as Belgium are saying they count more people as having died of COVID19 than other countries do, apparently they count deaths which look like COVID19 but are not confirmed by a test. There was an article in The Age Saturday I think.

I suspect the numbers from most countries are under-estimates. The numbers from the Spanish Flu 100 years ago are estimates, our numbers now are probably a lot better but far from accurate.

DS
yes but Belgium has been really badly hit. I saw a new report recently of the PM driving somewhere with people turning their backs on him in the street.

Numbers by country can be misleading but the interesting thing for me is the US. They have the 9th highest death rate per capita in the world of countries over 1 million people but there are large parts of the US with really low death rates. When you look at the states it tells a story

New York 1550 deaths per million
New Jersey 1339
Connecticut 1119
Massachusetts 1038

The North east has been really bad. Would be interesting to compare it with Lombardy region of Italy as an example. New York state has a slightly lower population than Australia, their death rate is the equivalent of nearly 39,000 people dying here.

Last edited:

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Still out of control in Brazil. Over 27,000 new cases and 1200 deaths in the latest 24 hour period. The death toll will be the 3rd highest globally in a few days. It's end up as the 2nd highest country in both total cases and deaths behind USA.

Meanwhile 30,000 people have registered interest in attending a protest rally outside state parliament on the weekend. Surely not :( This has the potential to undo everything we have achieved in containing this virus up until now. This has the potential to cause an explosion in the virus and that would be disastrous.

I really hope that's not the case but have grave concerns. The virus is still out there. No way you can achieve physical distancing in a crowd of 30,000 people.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Meanwhile 30,000 people have registered interest in attending a protest rally outside state parliament on the weekend. Surely not :( This has the potential to undo everything we have achieved in containing this virus up until now. This has the potential to cause an explosion in the virus and that would be disastrous.

It's like giving up smoking for two months, proclaiming you're on the road to good health and embarking on a diet of junk food.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Still out of control in Brazil. Over 27,000 new cases and 1200 deaths in the latest 24 hour period. The death toll will be the 3rd highest globally in a few days. It's end up as the 2nd highest country in both total cases and deaths behind USA.

I really hope that's not the case but have grave concerns. The virus is still out there. No way you can achieve physical distancing in a crowd of 30,000 people.
It was good to hear Andrews telling anyone thinking of going not to.

Reactions: 1 users