Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Also, apparently the restrictions travel with you if you have to work in non locked down areas.

I'm wondering whether I'll have to get my postcode tattooed on my forearm.

That way when all my work colleagues go out to the pub, I can be easily identified.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Everyone is rightly worried about the spike in Victoria, but you will notice the other states and the feds are not gloating, they're looking on quite worried.

They know this could happen in any of the states at any time.

Slightly lower figure today and some suburbs being locked down now. Locking down suburbs may not be the perfect answer but I suspect the thinking is that locking down the whole of Melbourne or Victoria just ain't going to fly. Also, if it doesn't work they have a better chance of making a Melbourne lockdown work and people will abide by the rules. As always, it is a judgement call as to how much they reckon they can get people to do, and there is likely no right answer.

We'll see if we can flatten that damned curve again.

DS

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The selection is non random, but the effect is essentially random. Post codes are inherently arbitrary.

I would have even copped a giant ring around the hotspots.

Look at a map of these locked down suburbs and you'll see how ridiculous it is, plus about three weeks too late. There is huge transfer between these locked down suburbs, and the non locked down ones around them. You can tell by the way the hotspots themselves have spread.

Look at my old home suburb Coburg. It's somehow not locked down, while everything around it is.

They had their own outbreak just two weeks ago.

Amongst all of these, do we really think there's not going to be a handful of asymptomatic spreaders in suburbs like a Coburg, which will continue to move around like the pandemic is over?

This is a half measure. As I posted before we lifted restrictions in the first place, with viruses, close enough is not good enough.
I tend to agree that a "ring" around the affected areas may have been a better solution.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
This is the map. I had to look up the suburbs as I live in the South East. I'n not really sure what you mean, there are some suburbs that will fins some significant disruption from this in terms of getting around, but I'm not sure what you would have preferred. The government have all the data and if there are suburbs that do not have cases and are not seeing the same explosion in cases, then why should they have to go into lockdown?

There are no suburbs completed locked in by this but they sure have to go a long way to get round but this seems like this is the best process to follow right now with impacting the least amount of people as possible.

I'm more concerned with the sheer amount of selfishness out there particularly now in the quarantined hotels. Surely people that are working there should 1 - Be happy that in this time that we find ourselves in that they have a job and 2 that they are in one of the most exposed places in the country to Covid-19 but don't seem too fussed about following protocols. I bet nurses and doctors are not too impressed with these people.

1593502730251.png

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I tend to walk down the street most days to get bread, milk and the like. Quick walk to the shops and back home.

This week it does seem a little quieter (inner South) at the local shops but it has been fairly busy the last month or so.

I also go for a ride to get exercise, trying to do this 3 days a week, and ride along the beach. Elwood and StKilda beaches are quite busy for winter, to the extent that the ice cream trucks are operating - something they don't normally do in winter.

There has clearly been a slackening of observing the distancing guidelines. I suspect this is the same all over Australia so I reckon Vic lucked out. Hopefully this will drive home the need to take care and we can get this under control again and then start opening up when it really is flat.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I tend to walk down the street most days to get bread, milk and the like. Quick walk to the shops and back home.

This week it does seem a little quieter (inner South) at the local shops but it has been fairly busy the last month or so.

I also go for a ride to get exercise, trying to do this 3 days a week, and ride along the beach. Elwood and StKilda beaches are quite busy for winter, to the extent that the ice cream trucks are operating - something they don't normally do in winter.

There has clearly been a slackening of observing the distancing guidelines. I suspect this is the same all over Australia so I reckon Vic lucked out. Hopefully this will drive home the need to take care and we can get this under control again and then start opening up when it really is flat.

DS

One lady from 1 of the lockdown areas just effectively stated what has been the issue. She stated "We thought it was all over". Well thats the problem, it WASN'T over but people were treating it like it was.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
My wife was listening to the radio this afternoon and someone called in and said “if they lock my suburb down I will lead a riot. They have no right to do this” .
That’s what we are dealing with.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
My wife was listening to the radio this afternoon and someone called in and said “if they lock my suburb down I will lead a riot. They have no right to do this” .
That’s what we are dealing with.

Americans?

BTW - Any confirmation if the golf courses in these suburbs are still open?

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
This is the map. I had to look up the suburbs as I live in the South East. I'n not really sure what you mean, there are some suburbs that will fins some significant disruption from this in terms of getting around, but I'm not sure what you would have preferred. The government have all the data and if there are suburbs that do not have cases and are not seeing the same explosion in cases, then why should they have to go into lockdown?

There are no suburbs completed locked in by this but they sure have to go a long way to get round but this seems like this is the best process to follow right now with impacting the least amount of people as possible.

I'm more concerned with the sheer amount of selfishness out there particularly now in the quarantined hotels. Surely people that are working there should 1 - Be happy that in this time that we find ourselves in that they have a job and 2 that they are in one of the most exposed places in the country to Covid-19 but don't seem too fussed about following protocols. I bet nurses and doctors are not too impressed with these people.

View attachment 10015

My big issue is 'suburb' has no real meaning, and no epidemiological relevance.

I mean, look how ridiculous it is that moonee ponds isn't locked down (3039).

Pascoe Vale too.

The point is this is a half measure.

It won't change anything, communication of expectations is going to be muddy, people on borders (like those who miss out by a street are going to rightly ask why), it's borderline impossible to police, and it's extremely disruptive, and it won't change anything.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
How else could you do it though? Name specific street boundaries? More confusing for the general public.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
My big issue is 'suburb' has no real meaning, and no epidemiological relevance.

I mean, look how ridiculous it is that moonee ponds isn't locked down (3039).

Pascoe Vale too.

The point is this is a half measure.

It won't change anything, communication of expectations is going to be muddy, people on borders (like those who miss out by a street are going to rightly ask why), it's borderline impossible to police, and it's extremely disruptive, and it won't change anything.

That could be said about any other suburb that has a fairly large border with a suburb that is being locked down. We don't have the data, they do. Maybe there have been a significant number of tests of people in Moonee Ponds and very low % of those are testing positive. There has to be data as to why they have picked certain suburbs and not others, we have to give them the credit the data source is very large and that they are doing the right thing.

Time will tell but I'm prepared to give them the chance 1st to prove that this policy works.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
How else could you do it though? Name specific street boundaries? More confusing for the general public.

Three options. Back to stage three for all of Vic. Back to stage three for all of Melbourne and it's suburbs. Or put a ring around all of the places where cases have been identified and lock it all down.

I will bet anything that within a week we have cases in all those suburbs that are on that map.

The ring idea, BTW, is similar to how we eradicated small pox, albeit using vaccination.

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
That could be said about any other suburb that has a fairly large border with a suburb that is being locked down. We don't have the data, they do. Maybe there have been a significant number of tests of people in Moonee Ponds and very low % of those are testing positive. There has to be data as to why they have picked certain suburbs and not others, we have to give them the credit the data source is very large and that they are doing the right thing.

Time will tell but I'm prepared to give them the chance 1st to prove that this policy works.

Sure. We know that taking soft measures early and the wait and see approach always works best.

Wait.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Sure. We know that taking soft measures early and the wait and see approach always works best.

Wait.

You think this is a wait and see approach? Or are you saying because I disagree with you and side with the government that I'm waiting and seeing?

I'm merely acknowledging they have far more data than you and I and they must have reasons why they are not including the suburbs that you so strongly want locked down.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
I believe the problem families are being targeted with a broad title of their postcode. We can't be racially profiling, so target those who flout the rules by naming their postcode. Some families need strict supervision and this is the only way it can be done. The health authorities have enough information to target problem people. They cannot, however, afford to be seen as unfair.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Three options. Back to stage three for all of Vic. Back to stage three for all of Melbourne and it's suburbs. Or put a ring around all of the places where cases have been identified and lock it all down.

I will bet anything that within a week we have cases in all those suburbs that are on that map.

The ring idea, BTW, is similar to how we eradicated small pox, albeit using vaccination.

a smart lady on the wireless today (epidemiologist for UN) was say the ring method is great and worked in Wuhan.

#putaringaroundmelbourne

• Haha

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I just got locked down - not an issue, I should be. But so should all of Victoria. My friend lives in Meadow Heights. He is completely surrounded by lockdown suburbs, but his suburb isn't. He's going to have to teleport around.

Meanwhile, being in the Broadie area, I can still go to work in the city, where I can go to a pub.

100% agree, this is just ridiculous. They should be restricting visitors to zero, it is clear this is how the virus is spreading. Just lock it down and be done with it.