Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Didn't NSW relax their restrictions with current cases in the the 200s or 300s?
And if that isn't relevant, what number of current cases would Vic have to get to support easing?
I don't know but I have already posted earlier this week my view that restrictions should be eased in Victoria

My comment was just about commentary around the difference between NSW and Victoria's position now.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Good number today but there are still risks with opening up. I went for a ride the other day and saw groups of parents talking after picking up their kids from school. I know this is low risk but this is how it spreads

DS

Please provide some scientific basis that this is how it spreads? Because I'm sure groups of parents have been doing this for the last few months in other states without outbreaks.

If the virus did spread like this (a social chat at distance outdoors for 15 minutes) we would have been completely unable to contain it in this country.

You aren't prone to hyperbole but that sort of statement is pretty exaggerated IMO

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017

Good to see the 14 day trailing average heading in the right direction again. Maybe we can get past this plateau.

5 cases in NSW but only 1 locally acquired. 2 cases in Queensland. All in all very low numbers across the country.

Now, if we are going to have people coming in from overseas, can we quarantine them in some sort of quarantine centre instead of the silly idea of doing this in hotels?

DS

Agree with this, need to have a watertight system for quarantining

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Based on what?

The truck drivers son was confirmed to have COVID-19 the day after he made the trip according to this report. However its identified that the son was exposed the day before by the tracers. If his whole family was made to quarantine as soon as they identified the exposure to them as being in the same bubble. And then asked the whole family to have a test and quarantine he wouldn’t have been on the road.

I know this even looks worse for the rest truck driver how stupid he has been, but we must assume that commonsense is zero in these cases.

Last edited:

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Seems the truckies cousin, who was the one who infected him and also kicked off the Chadstone cluster and who tried to make out they'd never been to Chadstone, is not getting the attention they so richly deserve.
Yes the truckie did the wrong thing and then lied to try and cover it up but his cousin is guilty of very similar acts.
Went to work from a house full of people all exhibiting symptoms. Went to work with symptoms. Lied about going to work.
If VICPOL charge the truckie then the cousin should also be charged.

Reactions: 1 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

The truck drivers son was confirmed to have COVID-19 the day after he made the trip according to this report. However its identified that the son was exposed the day before by the tracers. If his whole family was made to quarantine as soon as they identified the exposure to them as being in the same bubble. And then asked the whole family to have a test and quarantine he wouldn’t have been on the road.

I know this even looks worse for the rest truck driver how stupid he has been, but we must assume that commonsense is zero in these cases.

Fairy nuff. Although it seems we are using the contacts of contacts method now. So hopefully thats the last contact tracing blip.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Please provide some scientific basis that this is how it spreads? Because I'm sure groups of parents have been doing this for the last few months in other states without outbreaks.

If the virus did spread like this (a social chat at distance outdoors for 15 minutes) we would have been completely unable to contain it in this country.

You aren't prone to hyperbole but that sort of statement is pretty exaggerated IMO

Who said they were at a distance?

It is a respiratory virus, there is uncertainty about how well it spreads outdoors, but a bunch of people in one place, better outdoors than indoors, is just what the restrictions have been trying to stop.

Hopefully the active cases in Victoria are low enough to allow people to congregate because that is what will happen when they are relaxed. Which is why it is so hard to pick the right time to ease restrictions.

DS

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
How many of the NSW were returning travellers in quarantine?

Of the 11 yesterday 5 were those, Would need to compare community transmission to Vic not overall numbers.
Yes, the international traveller numbers are really irrelevant.
Also people seem to ignore that NSW have had those low numbers with less restrictions. It is probably reasonable to expect our numbers wouldnt have dropped so much if our restrictions were lighter.

having said that the numbers the last couple of days have been very promising. it does give pause for thought about whether keeping restrictions for a little longer might 'eliminate' the virus from Victoria. but i doubt the government could get away with not making changes tomorrow.
hopefully the right balance is struct between people's safety and people's sanity.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Who said they were at a distance?

It is a respiratory virus, there is uncertainty about how well it spreads outdoors, but a bunch of people in one place, better outdoors than indoors, is just what the restrictions have been trying to stop.

Hopefully the active cases in Victoria are low enough to allow people to congregate because that is what will happen when they are relaxed. Which is why it is so hard to pick the right time to ease restrictions.

DS

I don't think there's any uncertainty. If it spread well outdoors it would not have been contained in Australia. If it spread well from surfaces (such as food in supermarkets) it would not have been contained.

I think as families people need to have discussions around keeping the elderly in the family safe. Having parties/celebrations where people are confined inside in large numbers is clearly high risk. I hope people use their common sense and make smart choices.

And people need to maintain could hand hygiene and wear masks when shopping etc.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Active cases under 150, positive test rate today 0.00%, 0.05% over the last week. As long as some *smile* doesn't go for a drive in the country next week, we might be winning.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Outdoors is less risky bot not no risk, we are almost there in terms of active cases but we do need to continue to be careful.

Wow, that US case number is totally out of control, what a mess. Going up again in the USA. Yeah, nothing to worry about according to the Pres they really needed (deserved maybe?).

Our numbers looking quite good now: COVID19 7 day ave 17102020.jpg

Plus, some numbers:

DateNew Infections7 Day Trailing ave5 Day Centred ave14 Day Trailing ave
10 October 20201210.2912.209.57
11 October 20201411.1411.2010.21
12 October 20201110.719.6010.36
13 October 2020510.717.6010.00
14 October 2020610.295.009.43
15 October 202029.149.21
16 October 202017.298.64

Getting there.

DS

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Definitely getting close. The 1 case reported today was a reclassification from prior days so this was the 1st day in a VERY long time that we have actually had zero positive tests from the day before.

Last 4 days positive test rate has been 0.02%, I know only over a shorter period than they wanted at this time, but thats in line with states such as NSW and SA. Hopefully we can keep that up.

Link below from Brett Sutton regarding the 14 day unknown cases.

Certainly shows an improving trend.

All eyes will be on Dan tomorrow.

IMO they will want pubs (outside only) open for Cup Day. I reckon they would have wanted for GF day but that might be too soon.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
They are talking about 9 million cases in the US by the date of the election

Well, if they vote Trump back in I suppose they get what they get.

I did hear today that a lot of young people are voting. The reality is that if lots of people vote then the Republicans are in trouble.

The USA needs a better government to get a handle on this pandemic. It affects us all as the world will open up sooner or later and we don't want a big powerful country with a pandemic out of control.

DS