Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Silly decision that one on the Cox Pate. While it is good that it was reversed and the minister admitted he stuffed up, you really have to wonder how it got through in the first place. Does make you wonder about how the government and bureaucracy are organised. There was talk yesterday of the Justice Department not wanting to take any responsibility if returning travellers quarantine at home with ankle bands to make sure they don't leave home. There must be a better way to organise this.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The Libs would have opened it all up so let's keep things in perspective shall we.
It was a mistake.. they acknowledged it & reversed it. Pretty refreshing to see any Government do that.
The other issue I have is Dan banged on about Frydenburg playing politics (and rightly so, the libs have been over the top (particularly the knobs like Tim Smith) and called him out for a lack of leadership. What is this if not a lack of leadership?

We really don't have many leaders in politics nowadays.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
The other issue I have is Dan banged on about Frydenburg playing politics (and rightly so, the libs have been over the top (particularly the knobs like Tim Smith) and called him out for a lack of leadership. What is this if not a lack of leadership?

Everyone makes mistakes, he's provided far more leadership overall than Scomo.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Everyone makes mistakes, he's provided far more leadership overall than Scomo.
Wouldn’t have thought so, but it depends how you view leadership. Scott Morrison has allowed his ministers to do their job without micro management. Also backed in Australia’s chief medical professional Brendan Murphy to do his job. Morrison has also allowed the State’s to run the show.
Could have took control over the whole show and had a National quarantine program. In hindsight would have the been the best option. Perhaps that is where he has failed us in the leadership stakes?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

I particularly liked O’Brien stating that the Premier couldn’t identify with and understand the problems of Victorians with lost incomes during COVID because hadn’t lost a day of pay during this time.

I assume he hasn’t either

No sense of the irony from him at all

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Whatever side of the political fence you're on & regardless of what caused the 2nd wave..that we as Victorians have been 99.9% united in getting on top of this bloody virus, when it could easily have run the other way, is nothing short of remarkable. Just goes to show what humanity(at least Australians) can do when we pull together.:cool:

Reactions: 4 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Wouldn’t have thought so, but it depends how you view leadership. Scott Morrison has allowed his ministers to do their job without micro management. Also backed in Australia’s chief medical professional Brendan Murphy to do his job. Morrison has also allowed the State’s to run the show.
Could have took control over the whole show and had a National quarantine program. In hindsight would have the been the best option. Perhaps that is where he has failed us in the leadership stakes?

You call that delegation to me it was a way of avoiding and being able to deflect responsibility. There's a definite pattern there.

• Haha

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Whatever side of the political fence you're on & regardless of what caused the 2nd wave..that we as Victorians have been 99.9% united in getting on top of this bloody virus, when it could easily have run the other way, is nothing short of remarkable. Just goes to show what humanity(at least Australians) can do when we pull together.:cool:

Yeah. Watching from a distance I think what Victorians don't realise is just how good you stamped out the second wave. Hard to see it when you're in the middle of it but your numbers are pretty amazing and I doubt any other country/state can show that they've controlled the virus like you guys have.

We'll never know if it could have been just as effective with less draconian measures and no doubt the Newmans and golfers will play the line, but ultimately it's worked.

Just don't *smile* it up now and ruin all the hard work and sacrifice that went into getting to where you are.

Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
5 cases today puts the 14 day total cases at 85 (85/14 = 6.1 - 14 day average).

The magic number of 14 day total cases at is 70 (70/14 = 5 - 14 day average).

We have had 50 cases in the past 11 days. for us to be at 70 or less by sunday, we need to have 20 cases or less in the next 3 days.

We have had 60 cases in the past 12 days. for us to be at 70 by Saturday, we need to have 10 cases or less in the next 2 days.

let's hope this East Preston Islamic College scare doesn't turn into a cluster.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
5 new cases and no deaths.

But there are 2 schools forced to close. A student at a college in East Preston has tested positive and a close contact identified in Dallas near Broadmeadows. There is also a link to a social housing block in Broadmeadows with 120 residents asked to self isolate.

This is a concern as it appears very similar to how the second wave spread throughout the same region of Melbourne in July and August. Geez I hope our contract tracing is up to it and the people involved do the right thing and self isolate so they don't spread it through their families.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It's now been reported that the child at the East Preston school tested positive and went to school whilst he/she was supposed to be self isolating. FFS!! WTF is wrong with these people?? What *smile* hope do we have? :mad:

This is exactly how the second wave started. The virus spreads like wildfire through communities in that part of Melbourne. If the reporting is true the child's parents should be hit with heavy sanctions. But it's more likely that someone will be fined for not wearing a mask outside.

*smile*!

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
More information available now. Grade 5 boy was supposed to be self isolating for 14 days as a close contact of a family member. After 11 days the family decided it was okay to go back to school as siblings had tested negative. But this boy hadn't had a test but still went back to school!!! Has now tested positive.

School principal says an apparent misunderstanding and communication breakdown! *smile* off! Selfish and ignorant arseholes is more like it. What do these people think has been going on the past 7 months??

Just *smile* unbelievable.

• Angry
  • Wow

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I agree and I've also read a lot of comments online (facebook and the like) where people talk with authority (they clearly don't have experience in it though) stating that we should have already opened up, killing the economy etc. People are always citing overseas countries and the benefit of their economy being open, for me (and I'm a financial professional) thats a load of crap. Economies overseas are not fully open, they are partially open, and under constant threat of closure due to case numbers, we are in an enviable position (much like the rest of Australia) where our case numbers are so low that we can look to have our ENTIRE economy open by Christmas and therefore open for the school holidays. Having an economy fully open is worth the extra sacrifice as constantly closing economies are as good as just winding up businesses, and it doesn't allow for any consumer confidence to flow and therefore for people to spend money, so with the threat of a ongoing closures, the economy can never fully recover. We are in the opposite position (and thats why its really frustrating to see Frydenburgs constant digs) whereby we can re-open with some level of confidence that a full lockdown shouldn't be needed again. We have seen this happen in other states, we are back to similar levels to other states, so we just have to prove that we can control any outbreak as they have.

Reactions: 6 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Aah, Ian, such a pity the numbers are all over the place depending on where they are sourced from.

For the past 11 days I get 54 cases, for 10 Days, 40 cases. But the one thing both of us are seeing is that the block of cases from 8 October to 12 October (a total of 60 cases over 5 days - or 12 a day) is about to start dropping off the 14 day average. If we can keep the numbers down for the next 5 days the 14 day trailing average will go down to 5 or less.

Some people do seem to be unable to understand how this thing spreads. Why were some of the kids tested and not all? Mis-communication is a bit rich when we have been hearing about this for 6 months. I really don't understand how you could have missed the message that if a close contact has tested positive you get tested and isolate.

Anyway, let's hope they can contain this, here's what it looks like today:

COVID19 7 day ave 22102020.jpg

The last 14 days:

DateNew Infections7 Day Trailing ave5 Day Centred ave14 Day Trailing ave
8 October 2020109.299.809.71
9 October 20201410.0011.609.86
10 October 20201110.1412.009.50
11 October 20201411.0011.0010.14
12 October 20201110.579.4010.29
13 October 2020510.577.609.93
14 October 2020610.145.009.36
15 October 202029.003.209.14
16 October 202017.143.008.57
17 October 202025.862.008.00
18 October 202044.432.207.71
19 October 202013.003.006.79
20 October 202032.716.64
21 October 202052.576.36

Look at the numbers for the days which are about to be replaced in the 14 Day Trailing average, that's a lot of hope that the 14 Day average is about to drop if we can keep the numbers down.

DS

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
More information available now. Grade 5 boy was supposed to be self isolating for 14 days as a close contact of a family member. After 11 days the family decided it was okay to go back to school as siblings had tested negative. But this boy hadn't had a test but still went back to school!!! Has now tested positive.

School principal says an apparent misunderstanding and communication breakdown! *smile* off! Selfish and ignorant arseholes is more like it. What do these people think has been going on the past 7 months??

Just *smile* unbelievable.
I feel so sorry for those industries shut down due to the likes of these selfish *smile*.

Not sure what measures can be put in place to avoid such situations in the future? Does the threat of severe penalties change behaviour? And surely some argument re cultural issues or language barriers is no longer valid?

I'm almost resigned to this happening over and over again.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I feel so sorry for those industries shut down due to the likes of these selfish *smile*.

Not sure what measures can be put in place to avoid such situations in the future? Does the threat of severe penalties change behaviour? And surely some argument re cultural issues or language barriers is no longer valid?

I'm almost resigned to this happening over and over again.
Mandatory detention is the only answer IMO. But the VIC authorities won't have the balls, especially if there are supposed cultural sensitivities. Much easier to fine people walking in the open air with out a mask.

Cultural issues and language barriers are certainly no longer valid. It's been 7 months now; anyone who uses that excuse is a *smile* liar. Now it is just down to ignorance, selfishness and being a *smile* *smile*.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah. Watching from a distance I think what Victorians don't realise is just how good you stamped out the second wave. Hard to see it when you're in the middle of it but your numbers are pretty amazing and I doubt any other country/state can show that they've controlled the virus like you guys have.

According to Norman Swan no country has done it as effectively.

Reactions: 1 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Mandatory detention is the only answer IMO. But the VIC authorities won't have the balls, especially if there are supposed cultural sensitivities. Much easier to fine people walking in the open air with out a mask.

Cultural issues and language barriers are certainly no longer valid. It's been 7 months now; anyone who uses that excuse is a *smile* liar. Now it is just down to ignorance, selfishness and being a *smile* *smile*.
If they thought it was Ok to send the youngster back to school what's the betting that mum and dad were back at work/out and about?