Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I did read the article but to be honest the round about arguments strike me as almost irrelevant. The email trail in question was after the decision to use private security was made, the CHO was probably getting hundreds of emails a day then and he has already said the fact that it was one line in an email didn't register with him and it also has to be remembered that the request for information to DHHS was for information relating to the decision to use security guards.
Appears like you think there is nothing wrong with Minter's or Suttons behaviour in relation to withholding the information from the inquiry.

I suppose we will see if it is irrelevant if Minter or Brett end up in further trouble.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
You really think not reading an email you are CCed into is witholding information?

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Appears like you think there is nothing wrong with Minter's or Suttons behaviour in relation to withholding the information from the inquiry.

I suppose we will see if it is irrelevant if Minter or Brett end up in further trouble.
I think it is missing the point. The request from the inquiry was for information about the decision to engage contract security in quarantine hotels. These emails were not supplied because the CHO and Minters deemed them irrelevant because they were after the date that the security guards were engaged
The request for more information is because the CHO said at the inquiry he didn’t know until May so the release of the new emails Is about whether he misled the inquiry.
Yes, personally I think it’s irrelevant but we shall see.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I’m in Tasmania. We’ve been quite lucky and largely COVID free apart from a bit of a cluster in the north west of the State back in April. Now opening up the State’s border (without quarantine restrictions) to all States and Territories with the exception of NSW & VIC. NSW & VIC planned over the next month or two.

The hysteria though from a few critical locals on the local news social media sites is just cringeworthy. Totally ridiculous statements like how the Tasmanian Premier is putting our lives in grave danger and will have blood on his hands....overwhelmingly comments of that nature. Really embarrassing to be associated with fellow Tasmanian’s like this.

The media has whipped them up into such irrational fear that there is this perception that the world outside Tasmania all looks like a scene out of a zombie apocalypse and hence the State needs to be shut to the rest of the world for good. Probably people who have comfortable government jobs or live on various forms of welfare (“I’m alright Jack”) and just can’t comprehend the most basic perspective of how Tasmania has never been some sort of self sustaining utopia. Their entire standard of living is owed to being part of the Commonwealth.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Numbers looking good and things opening up.

COVID19 7 day ave 28102020.jpg

The actual numbers:

DateNew Infections7 Day Trailing ave5 Day Centred ave14 Day Trailing ave
14 October 2020610.295.009.43
15 October 202029.143.209.21
16 October 202017.292.808.64
17 October 202025.861.808.07
18 October 202034.292.007.71
19 October 202012.862.806.79
20 October 202032.572.606.64
21 October 202052.433.006.36
22 October 202012.294.205.71
23 October 202052.863.605.07
24 October 202073.572.604.71
25 October 202003.142.803.71
26 October 202003.002.93
27 October 202022.862.71

Let's hope it continues with the reduced restrictions.

DS

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
I’m in Tasmania. We’ve been quite lucky and largely COVID free apart from a bit of a cluster in the north west of the State back in April. Now opening up the State’s border (without quarantine restrictions) to all States and Territories with the exception of NSW & VIC. NSW & VIC planned over the next month or two.

The hysteria though from a few critical locals on the local news social media sites is just cringeworthy. Totally ridiculous statements like how the Tasmanian Premier is putting our lives in grave danger and will have blood on his hands....overwhelmingly comments of that nature. Really embarrassing to be associated with fellow Tasmanian’s like this.

The media has whipped them up into such irrational fear that there is this perception that the world outside Tasmania all looks like a scene out of a zombie apocalypse and hence the State needs to be shut to the rest of the world for good. Probably people who have comfortable government jobs or live on various forms of welfare (“I’m alright Jack”) and just can’t comprehend the most basic perspective of how Tasmania has never been some sort of self sustaining utopia. Their entire standard of living is owed to being part of the Commonwealth.
Sounds a bit like WA.
People living in total complacency behind a hard border.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Meanwhile France is adopting a lockdown policy similar to Melbourne with the hope of getting it down to 5,000 contaminations a day (currently around 35k) and reduce hospital admissions.:oops:

We should be counting our blessings. The rest of the world has been swamped by this virus.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
With Europe exploding again you need to start asking now if Australia is ready for the next big wave that comes.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It certainly is a worry how bad this is overseas and a difficult quandary as to how we sort out our international borders if it is under control here. Makes you think outbreaks are almost inevitable unless we have dedicated quarantine facilities for international travel (except for countries where it is under control like New Zealand, Dusty's dad can come over any time).

I would think the numbers now, if we don't get another wave, will rumble around at the level they are now. The average new infections per day is ok as long as it sits around 2-5 per day with high testing rates and as long as the unknown infections are zero or very low and the active cases are also low.

Here's what it looks like now:

COVID19 7 day ave 29102020.jpg

Plus, the last 14 days:

DateNew Infections7 Day Trailing ave5 Day Centred ave14 Day Trailing ave
15 October 202029.143.209.21
16 October 202017.292.808.64
17 October 202025.861.808.07
18 October 202034.292.007.71
19 October 202012.862.806.79
20 October 202032.572.606.64
21 October 202052.433.006.36
22 October 202012.294.205.71
23 October 202052.863.605.07
24 October 202073.572.604.71
25 October 202003.142.803.71
26 October 202003.002.402.93
27 October 202022.862.71
28 October 202032.572.50

Active cases down to 80. If the new infections stay low then the active cases should drop and we will be in a good position to open up and just have to continue to be careful.

One issue I have noticed is how many people are walking around with their mask over their mouth and not their nose, seems to be increasing and also some now not wearing masks. Do they not understand how we got to this point?

DS

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
With Europe exploding again you need to start asking now if Australia is ready for the next big wave that comes.
Why so over the top? Where will it come from? Europe is in almost impossible position to stop the virus. As in many other continents with multiple land locked countries. There is no reason to expect a massive surge in cases if we keep the quarantine process right and contact tracing well resourced. And hopefully people are aware of the largest risk to the spread and limit their family/friend gatherings appropriately.

As a land locked nation there is absolutely no reason to expect us to be anything like the rest of the world.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

And until there's a vaccine, it will happen, with the Spanish Flu there were 4 waves.

My Grandfather and his 2 brothers went to World War 1. One brother was killed in action, the other died of the Spanish Flu on his return to Australia, with my Grandfather nursing him.

Please be careful everyone, respect this horrible virus.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Why so over the top? Where will it come from? Europe is in almost impossible position to stop the virus. As in many other continents with multiple land locked countries. There is no reason to expect a massive surge in cases if we keep the quarantine process right and contact tracing well resourced. And hopefully people are aware of the largest risk to the spread and limit their family/friend gatherings appropriately.

As a land locked nation there is absolutely no reason to expect us to be anything like the rest of the world.

You're being very naïve if you think that was an over the top comment. The economy needs open borders to function correctly. The virus needs closed borders to contain it. You have competing needs.

If every state had the strength to weather the public, political and media driven storm that Victoria has had, Australia might be ok, but I don't see it.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Minor point but land-locked means completely surroundedl by othelr countries and having no sea borders. Australia is the opposite of that.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

If our Federal Government puts the health of the country before the wealth of the country, we should be able to prevent it from coming in from overseas, apart from returning Australians.

If everyone does the right thing.....I'm not overly confident though, then I agree with your... There is no reason to expect a massive surge in cases if we keep the quarantine process right and contact tracing well resourced. And hopefully people are aware of the largest risk to the spread and limit their family/friend gatherings appropriately.

I have forever changed by hygienic behaviour due to Covid. Not in an over the top way, but I will always be a lot more conscious of protecting myself and others.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I keep saying it: dedicated quarantine facilities, not bloody hotels in the middle of town.

This is Australia, we know how to do quarantine, there are a pile of diseases we don't have, we just need to do this properly.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I keep saying it: dedicated quarantine facilities, not bloody hotels in the middle of town.

This is Australia, we know how to do quarantine, there are a pile of diseases we don't have, we just need to do this properly.

DS

Its especially important to do it this way now we are re-opening Domestic economies.

If we retain that then I can see us being successful in managing and suppressing the virus within Australia.

It is highly likely that support for certain industries (hospitality etc) will be required for a significant time period. For example, we can encourage Australians to holiday within Australia, but there are stats (and I can't remember where I saw them) but I think there was a stat showing that overseas holiday makers spend 4 times as much within Australia as Australians on holiday do.

My family still lives in the UK and its pretty clear they have surrendered to the virus, they have also had a shockingly poor response to it. Those that criticise Andrews government should take a look at the UK government response which has been nothing short of awful.

I can see Australia will continue down the route of travel bubbles, obviously first with NZ, then probably Asian countries less impacted by Covid, potentially even China in order to drive the growth back in our university sector.

Travel to and from many countries (mainland Europe etc, US etc) will not be available for a long long time. I've never felt further away from my family as I do right now.

Reactions: 2 users