Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
What has happened to our contrarian mates in Sweden? Haven't read a Sky News linked tweet about how good they've done so assume things have turned out worse than the earlier wraps

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
It's grossly inconsistent. We have Tennis Australia organising for a multitude of tournaments to be held in Victoria and citing quarantine arrangements to the players, apparently without clearing things with the government. And Andrews has (rightly) said, hang on a minute...

We either take the virus seriously or we don't. And events have shown that when we don't, it's going to bite us.
I'm still bemused how all the international horses and contingents seem to be allowed in to Victoria so easily

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I'm still bemused how all the international horses and contingents seem to be allowed in to Victoria so easily
Fair point. Hadn't been following the spring racing and was surprised in late Oct when I saw there were going to be so many internationals running in the Cup. I guess those people are wealthy enough to avoid mixing with the hoi polloi, so the chances of it coming unstuck are decreased. That's not a justification BTW.

Seems to be a variety of standards in play, depending on how important you are. Maybe that's why they stopped sending citizens to Christmas Island. The disparity is stark.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I wasnt aware that horses could spread it. I would estimate 15 horses came for the carnival. Horses have quarantined at Werribee as they always do to keep them from bringing in equine diseases. Only one international trainer and he did his two weeks in Sydney Q. Why do you say so "easily" .?
in a week or so 2 dozen Indian cricketers and their support team arrive. Then the tennis players ...and each of them seem to have an entourage. Dan seems to be having second thoughts on the tennis though.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Fair point. Hadn't been following the spring racing and was surprised in late Oct when I saw there were going to be so many internationals running in the Cup. I guess those people are wealthy enough to avoid mixing with the hoi polloi, so the chances of it coming unstuck are decreased. That's not a justification BTW.

Seems to be a variety of standards in play, depending on how important you are. Maybe that's why they stopped sending citizens to Christmas Island. The disparity is stark.
The owners didn't come.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I wasnt aware that horses could spread it. I would estimate 15 horses came for the carnival. Horses have quarantined at Werribee as they always do to keep them from bringing in equine diseases. Only one international trainer and he did his two weeks in Sydney Q. Why do you say so "easily" .?
in a week or so 2 dozen Indian cricketers and their support team arrive. Then the tennis players ...and each of them seem to have an entourage. Dan seems to be having second thoughts on the tennis though.
i dont follow horses, but yes horses always come, and the quarantine for them, and any animal (except Johnny Depp's dogs) has always been good enough.

Glad to hear not many people on came with them.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
It was a general comment that had been made time and time again by many that Victoria is bad because all other states have not had a problem and therefore security guards are bad and police/ADF are good. It’s an incredibly simplistic view but if it is not one you expressed then please ignore it.
You cannot run a proper positive COVID hospital in anything that is not currently a major hospital for those that require ICU, ventilation and proper care by infectious diseases doctors and properly trained nurses. You may be able to run a general hospital for not so sick people at a place like point cook but you would be better off having patients in a public hospital rather than there. My point is more about the idea of some of some rural camp or mining camp or whatever. It’s a quarantine facility and would need major medical support.
O/S returnees go into quarantine camp. Any that need hospitalisation go to hospital. Just like Howard Springs except the staff also stay in camp.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
O/S returnees go into quarantine camp. Any that need hospitalisation go to hospital. Just like Howard Springs except the staff also stay in camp.
People with COVID may well require more than just a hospital. They need the sort of care and facilities that can’t be provided by some rural hospital and it’s why the COVID positive hotels need to be in cities

Reactions: 1 user

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Never had the view that every state except Victoria was perfect. You seem to be a bit confused as to who has posted what.
In regards Western Australia - Garden Island Naval Base, Pearce Air Force Base or rededicate Rottnest to what it was 6 months ago. Rottnest was set up as a quarantine facility when COVID first hit with about 2 weeks notice.
In regards Victoria - what's wrong with setting up a facility at Point Cook. The RAAF barely use it these days.
Most other states have the same sort of locations relatively close to their capitals
Dongas available all over Australia from vacant mining camps or readily available at approx $30k/ensuite room.
Never suggested offshore quarantine because it obviously would be much more expensive and passengers would have to transit through Australia anyway and as for well outside cities - who suggested that? Facilities need to be within relatively quick ambulance access to hospitals.
As for the lifting
The first planeloads went to Christmas Island.

"Easy" is your word, I didn't mention it. Having an entire state locked down isn't easy. Make a choice.

If I'm the government, you got four weeks' grace from March 17. After that you stay put and we'll provide support as best we can.
People will die.Christmas Island does not have the facilities for COVID positive patients and those that went there were the fist plane load returning from China as I recall. Not sure if any were found to positive.

I am reacting to various posts and suggestions from people about sticking returning travellers out in rural areas somewhere. What I am saying is getting staff and getting access to medical services for some of these places is almost impossible which is why city hotels have been used mainly.

I have said it many times and I will say it again. The number of breaches in these hotels in both Victoria and south Australia has been very small. The issue was the work after people were found to be positive and spread it.

Reactions: 2 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
People with COVID may well require more than just a hospital. They need the sort of care and facilities that can’t be provided by some rural hospital and it’s why the COVID positive hotels need to be in cities
Again you haven't read my posts. I've repeatedly stated that the facilities must be within ambulance transport range of COVID capable hospitals. I've never suggested that quarantine facilities be located offshore or in remote areas. Not only because of the need to access high quality healthcare but also due to the additional expense in setting up any facility remotely. Try and pay attention.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
What has happened to our contrarian mates in Sweden? Haven't read a Sky News linked tweet about how good they've done so assume things have turned out worse than the earlier wraps
Article on the news last night suggested they were about to go into a form of lockdown.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Again you haven't read my posts. I've repeatedly stated that the facilities must be within ambulance transport range of COVID capable hospitals. I've never suggested that quarantine facilities be located offshore or in remote areas. Not only because of the need to access high quality healthcare but also due to the additional expense in setting up any facility remotely. Try and pay attention.
I don’t know how many times I have to say I am responding to a whole lot of posts not just yours

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Ok hearing international fights coming into Melbourne ...160 ppl per day from Dec 7.. 2 weeks quarantine at a hotel .. Looking for more details as I need to get back to Australia some time ( March / April hopefully ) to see my elderly Mum for a month . Rather see here now soon while she is still with us and were close . Anyone know any other details atm ( cost of quarantine who to get on the coming in list etc )
Thanks

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
I had a bit of a google and couldn't find much DJ but it did say to register with DFAT via the smart traveller website for their assistance with planning. I'm sure that's probably old news for you though.

dhhs.vic.gov.au has a bit about quarantine but no costs.
Thanks so much mate that helps :)

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Didn't you suggest using abandoned mining camps?