Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Think I heard ( international students ).
Could be wrong Lee????
I hope you're wrong. Even South Korea which has been fairly successful in controlling the virus had 400-odd new cases yesterday. India of course is out of control. And China we simply can't trust.

This government has been extremely restrictive towards its own citizens. Can't they at least wait for a vaccine?

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I hope you're wrong. Even South Korea which has been fairly successful in controlling the virus had 400-odd new cases yesterday. India of course is out of control. And China we simply can't trust.

This government has been extremely restrictive towards its own citizens. Can't they at least wait for a vaccine?
That’s the view I share.
Being home our people first to be with their families for Christmas. Think there are over 36,000 waiting to come home. Some very sad cases of people waiting so long and paying a lot of money for tickets.

Look I could be wrong in what I heard.

Maybe the Universities are placing pressure in the Govt/Premier.

We have worked too hard. Made too many sacrifices. 4 months lockdown.

Maybe someone will clarify if I heard wrong.

Here is what the PM is proposing.
Could be by the end of 2020 the article states.

Last edited:

royce67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 4, 2008
Hobart
My personal view is we should bring any Australian citizen home who wants to come and use quarantine measures as needed.

Not sure now is the time to extend that opportunity to others however, the world is drowning and we are in one of very few lifeboats.
Seems like the main problem was they broke quarantine rules and 2 cases turned into 6. Idiocy knows no bounds... Windies players not much better by the looks but luckily they weren't infected.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It is a difficult one. International students provide a lot to our economy and the government seems hell bent on screwing universities, but the risk really is too high at the moment the way the virus is going crazy overseas. Not sure China can keep it out either given they have land borders.

Australians should just be able to return. Maybe a few can hitch a ride in Mathias' plane.

The other aspect is we still have freight coming here from overseas on boats, their crews are likely to be left on the ships but someone has to get the stuff off the ship, there will be some contact. In Melbourne all ships need a pilot from our port authority to go through the heads.

No contact with the rest of the world is not realistic.

So, we need to get the quarantine working better. I still think this means quarantine camps of some sort away from the city centre. Some sort of army camp, convention centre, disused university campus or the like could work and could be found near enough to the city to enable those who do get sick to be taken to hospital. Quarantine in the middle of the city seems a contradiction in terms.

DS

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
It is a difficult one. International students provide a lot to our economy and the government seems hell bent on screwing universities, but the risk really is too high at the moment the way the virus is going crazy overseas. Not sure China can keep it out either given they have land borders.

Australians should just be able to return. Maybe a few can hitch a ride in Mathias' plane.

The other aspect is we still have freight coming here from overseas on boats, their crews are likely to be left on the ships but someone has to get the stuff off the ship, there will be some contact. In Melbourne all ships need a pilot from our port authority to go through the heads.

No contact with the rest of the world is not realistic.

So, we need to get the quarantine working better. I still think this means quarantine camps of some sort away from the city centre. Some sort of army camp, convention centre, disused university campus or the like could work and could be found near enough to the city to enable those who do get sick to be taken to hospital. Quarantine in the middle of the city seems a contradiction in terms.

DS
That’s a better suggestion David.
Agree.
Away from the large cities and not security staff , finishing their shift and working another job.
Favour military personnel.

Glad the ‘home quarantine’ idea was scrapped. Idiocy.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Apparently 6 of the Pakistan cricket team has turned up in New Zealand positive, despite regular testing at home before leaving.
Pakistan players told it's a privilege to be allowed in to New Zealand and they're on their last chance. Shoaib Akhtar's reponse:

"I want to give a message to New Zealand board that this is not a club team, it's Pakistan national cricket team. We don't need you. Our cricket has not finished. You will get the broadcasting rights money. So, you should be indebted to us that we decided to tour your country in such difficult times. You are talking about Pakistan - the greatest country on the planet – so behave yourself and stop giving such statement."

Pakistani cricketers always had a reputation for carrying on like princes and it seems not much has changed.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 4 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
What does technically mean? Surely it’s either eliminated or it’s not.
I guess they cant know 100% there are no cases, unless they test everyone, so 28 days is the rule but there is no guarantee.

Reactions: 2 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I guess they cant know 100% there are no cases, unless they test everyone, so 28 days is the rule but there is no guarantee.
Exactly Brodders.
Unless you test every single Victorian or every Australian you don’t know for sure that this virus is somewhere in the community.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Pakistan players told it's a privilege to be allowed in to New Zealand and they're on their last chance. Shoaib Akhtar's reponse:

"I want to give a message to New Zealand board that this is not a club team, it's Pakistan national cricket team. We don't need you. Our cricket has not finished. You will get the broadcasting rights money. So, you should be indebted to us that we decided to tour your country in such difficult times. You are talking about Pakistan - the greatest country on the planet – so behave yourself and stop giving such statement."

Pakistani cricketers always had a reputation for carrying on like princes and it seems not much has changed.
What an arrogant "smile"

• Angry