Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
So you agree the issue in Vic wasn't breaches in hotel quarantine, but a lack of other infrastructure and systems for mitigating the spread of the virus? Because that's the exact opposite of what you were crying at the time.

Then again, you've flipped all over the place throughout this pandemic, so I guess that tracks.

Yeh that’s what I said.

I urge you to watch the quarantine inquiry videos, helps to understand how Vic ended up where it did.

Over 800 people died due to a dysfunctional Vic government response.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yeh that’s what I said.

I urge you to watch the quarantine inquiry videos, helps to understand how Vic ended up where it did.

I know people who have been and are involved MDJ and believe me the story is far wider and more complex than what was talked about at the inquiry. In fact much of the inquiry was a distraction as many are now realising because security guards were never the real issue. The main issue has always been what happened after those few people got COVID. The DHHS and therefore the Government by extension must accept responsibility for that.

However if we leave it at that and say that's why 800 people died we ignore one really big factor in why so many people died and that's the complete dysfunction of Private aged care in Australia and the role the hands off approach the regulator ( the federal Government) played in that sector being so under prepared for a pandemic. The fact that many more people didn't die in private aged care is because the state public sector and public hospitals bailed them out with staff, infection control systems and PPE.

If it wasn't for aged care the deaths in Victoria would have been way less than 800 and yes I know it wouldn't have mattered if COVID hadn't spread out of hotel quarantine in the first place but if we take that argument back further we can blame it on a pangolin.

The VIC Govt has to accept what they did wrong but if we get to the end of this and nothing has changed in private residential aged care then that's a big problem imo.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
People travelling from overseas to Melbourne again on Monday and quarantine in a pile of hotels spread around the CBD. Apparently none will be allowed outside their hotel rooms, I can only assume none are smokers or they will allow smoking in the rooms.

To be honest, locking people away in a small room they are not allowed to leave is an encouragement to break the rules. It will happen.

There is a very good reason why quarantine facilities have traditionally not been in the middle of the city. They have been islands, or the quarantine station at the end of Point Nepean. The point was always to keep the quarantined people away from everyone else, not bung them right in the middle of everyone.

I also suspect this will have the effect of people not wanting to go to the CBD.

I just can't see how this is the best option, somewhere just outside Melbourne would have a lot less risk.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Yeh that’s what I said.

As long as it was Dan Andrews fault it doesn't matter the logic you take to arrive there right?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
To be honest, locking people away in a small room they are not allowed to leave is an encouragement to break the rules. It will happen.
A serious situation calls for serious measures. It’s time they employed serious penalties as a serious deterrent to breaking the rules. Start with the wandering Kraut pair.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
A serious situation calls for serious measures. It’s time they employed serious penalties as a serious deterrent to breaking the rules. Start with the wandering Kraut pair.
We should be blaming the NSW authorities for the overseas travellers going to Melbourne without isolating in Sydney.
The system being instituted from tomorrow in Melbourne is that every arriving traveller will be assessed then processed and physically transported to a quarantine hotel. Clearly if NSW had that system it has failed

Reactions: 4 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Penny Wong on Insiders just now says the Federal Govt should establish a national quarantine facility as many here have suggested and indeed should have done it before now.

Reactions: 2 users

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
6 months ago...plenty of warning and time.
Cannot use cities. People will always break the rules.
All flights need to be direct to a regional location with a quarantine centre. Long over due.
Otherwise a return of lockdown almost certain.

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I know people who have been and are involved MDJ and believe me the story is far wider and more complex than what was talked about at the inquiry. In fact much of the inquiry was a distraction as many are now realising because security guards were never the real issue. The main issue has always been what happened after those few people got COVID. The DHHS and therefore the Government by extension must accept responsibility for that.

However if we leave it at that and say that's why 800 people died we ignore one really big factor in why so many people died and that's the complete dysfunction of Private aged care in Australia and the role the hands off approach the regulator ( the federal Government) played in that sector being so under prepared for a pandemic. The fact that many more people didn't die in private aged care is because the state public sector and public hospitals bailed them out with staff, infection control systems and PPE.

If it wasn't for aged care the deaths in Victoria would have been way less than 800 and yes I know it wouldn't have mattered if COVID hadn't spread out of hotel quarantine in the first place but if we take that argument back further we can blame it on a pangolin.

The VIC Govt has to accept what they did wrong but if we get to the end of this and nothing has changed in private residential aged care then that's a big problem imo.
What is interesting is that there are vulnerable Victorians with COVId raging all around them and the government elected by those people says you aren't our responsibility. We won't "bail you out" because you backed the federal horse when you went into aged care.
Or equally bad that the support was turned back at the gates by the Feds saying this is our patch, stand back Dan.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
What is interesting is that there are vulnerable Victorians with COVId raging all around them and the government elected by those people says you aren't our responsibility. We won't "bail you out" because you backed the federal horse when you went into aged care.
Or equally bad that the support was turned back at the gates by the Feds saying this is our patch, stand back Dan.
sorry, I don't understand what you are saying.

If you are suggesting that the state Government didn't bail out or assist in private aged residential care that suggestion is not correct.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I can not fathom what has happened with these German “travelers”. What the *smile* is going on? Aren’t our borders closed to anyone but returning Australian residents? (Oh I guess Hollywood stars who want to make movies here get an exemption but that’s for another rant!).

It’s bad enough that they got to Victoria without quarantining in NSW but what the *smile* are they even doing here in the first place? Either the border is closed or it isn’t. What a *smile* joke.

We have come so far but I can not very optimistic that we will avoid another lockdown. The virus is cutting a swathe through Europe and we let in a couple of Germans without quarantine at the point of arrival. Now we are about to start another round of hotel quarantine locking up people in hotel rooms in the middle of a 5 million plus metropolis without any fresh air for 2 weeks. If we get through this with only minor infractions we will be very lucky.

I have no doubt the hotel quarantine program will be vastly better than last time (it could hardly be worse) but is this the best we could come up with?

Reactions: 3 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I can not fathom what has happened with these German “travelers”. What the *smile* is going on? Aren’t our borders closed to anyone but returning Australian residents? (Oh I guess Hollywood stars who want to make movies here get an exemption but that’s for another rant!).

It’s bad enough that they got to Victoria without quarantining in NSW but what the *smile* are they even doing here in the first place? Either the border is closed or it isn’t. What a *smile* joke.

We have come so far but I can not very optimistic that we will avoid another lockdown. The virus is cutting a swathe through Europe and we let in a couple of Germans without quarantine at the point of arrival. Now we are about to start another round of hotel quarantine locking up people in hotel rooms in the middle of a 5 million plus metropolis without any fresh air for 2 weeks. If we get through this with only minor infractions we will be very lucky.

I have no doubt the hotel quarantine program will be vastly better than last time (it could hardly be worse) but is this the best we could come up with?
Dan Andrews trying hard not to blame NSW for this.
Whether they are returning travellers, residents, passport holders... end of the day there were returning travellers... Europe is burning... and without quarantining ( maybe they had/did ) but let’s hope this doesn’t start the nightmare again after 30 plus days of zero infections.

Let’s hope we get to the bottom of this and who was at fault.

Pretty disappointing if found that they had it, were not tested in NSW, lied to authorities to get back to Australia/Victoria ....

Last edited:

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Dan Andrews trying hard not to blame NSW for this.
Whether they are returning travellers, residents, passport holders... end of the day there were returning travellers... Europe is burning... and without quarantining ( maybe they had/did ) but let’s hope this doesn’t start the nightmare again after 30 plus days of zero infections.

Let’s hope we get to the bottom of this and who was at fault.

Pretty disappointing if found that they had it, were not tested in NSW, lied to authorities to get back to Australia/Victoria ....
On face value the fault lies with NSW. We are lucky Victorian authorities were on the ball and caught them at Melbourne airport. Thankfully they have returned initial negative test results.

But if they are not returning citizens why are they here in the first place?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
On face value the fault lies with NSW. We are lucky Victorian authorities were on the ball and caught them at Melbourne airport. Thankfully they have returned initial negative test results.

But if they are not returning citizens why are they here in the first place?
They appear to be legitimate returning travellers but the nsw system has clearly failed

• Wow

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
They appear to be legitimate returning travellers but the nsw system has clearly failed
Can you please clarify Sin? I can’t find anything that confirms why they travelled to Australia? If they are returning citizens all good but if not why were they allowed to come? Everything I have read just calls them German travellers.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Can you please clarify Sin? I can’t find anything that confirms why they travelled to Australia? If they are returning citizens all good but if not why were they allowed to come? Everything I have read just calls them German travellers.
Quote from the Premier on Microsoft news

This is what Premier Daniel Andrews just said:

"I believe they are returned travellers. Whether they are citizens or permanents, I'm not certain, but they were returning, or at least availing themselves of an entitlement that they had. They are here lawfully. Beyond that, I can't speculate as to what motivated them to come or how recently they were here. Let's let New South Wales do their work and we can see what comes of that."
Coronavirus Australia live news: Border Force and NSW authorities under fire to explain how two international travellers evaded quarantine (msn.com)

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Quote from the Premier on Microsoft news

This is what Premier Daniel Andrews just said:

"I believe they are returned travellers. Whether they are citizens or permanents, I'm not certain, but they were returning, or at least availing themselves of an entitlement that they had. They are here lawfully. Beyond that, I can't speculate as to what motivated them to come or how recently they were here. Let's let New South Wales do their work and we can see what comes of that."
Coronavirus Australia live news: Border Force and NSW authorities under fire to explain how two international travellers evaded quarantine (msn.com)
Thanks Sin. That provides some clarification.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Hearing that the pair were heard bragging about how they managed to bypass quarantine in Sydney?

• Sad