Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
About bloody time :mad:

"International passengers returning to Australia will now be required to provide a pre-flight negative COVID test, while masks will become compulsory on all flights, under new National Cabinet measures."

I'm stunned that masks on planes weren't already compulsory.

As for the pre-flight test, the devil is in the detail and they need to make sure they do have a way of validating the tests and ensuring there is a clear and easy way for people to prove the tests.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
yes undoubtably McGowans finest hour,

articulating taxi driver wisdom circa April 2020
Great movie Taxi driver........."Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the *****, the dogs, the filth, the s***. Here is a man who stood up."

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Morrison did say this morning that they would have to stay in dedicated facilities and be tested. I didn't get the details but it looks like they have finally been identified as a major risk
Thanks mate

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The snide remarks, backhanders, personal potshots, political posturing and general crap behaviour towards others is making it very difficult to remain a PREnder. It seems to have infiltrated every thread as well, making it practically impossible to avoid.

The old adage “If you’ve got nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all” needs to be remembered I think.
Spot on Midsy, I’ve reduced my PRE time (and my enjoyment of) as the same old empty vessels bleating the same old crap on far too many threads.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
and we all just bumble along .....

ABC presenter Lisa Millar has told ABC Radio Melbourne she was surprised by the lack of information given, when she flew into Melbourne from Brisbane last night.

"I know there was one passenger who had tried to get more information but no one was able to tell them anything so it does look like something slipped through there," she said. I'm worried, the flight was completely packed, people could have been coming from those areas.

"There wasn't even any notification. The pilot had said once we land, everyone's got to be on top of what their requirements are, once we land we will get more details from health officers at the gate and there was no other detail and we all just walked off."

• Sad

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Is it a case of people getting careless now that a vaccine is within sight?
Christmas mixing would be playing some part in the numbers, but generally speaking, this new strain is highly transmissible. The UK has been in lockdown for quite a while, but numbers continue to rise.

Personally, I still don’t know anyone that’s had it. (Touch wood!)

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Is it a case of people getting careless now that a vaccine is within sight?

Many reasons - attitudinal is certainly one but the virus has exposed the many weaknesses - structural, systemic and ideals in our leadership and governance systems and what drives us individually also.

We have failed to grasp or accept that this was always going to be a two year process to combat the virus and as a society were never willing to make the sacrifices necessary over this timeline- I am not just referring to Australia although we have done better than most.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Possibly but the 70% increase in transmission of this new strain is more likely.

I'm still keeping my powder dry on this apparent increased transmissibility of the UK strain.

There are a lot of reasons why one genetic variant could represent a large proportion of infections, some evolutionary, some of them purely mathematical.

What's known is that it has a few important mutations to genes associated with binding and detection.

It also is highly represented in new cases.

What's suspected is that it is highly transmissible, and there is some evidence for this, but as far as I can see, only one non peer reviewed study by mathematicians that shows this.

Definitely worth taking the precaution, but I wonder whether there are other causes (societal) in the UK that are causing the increased transmission which are being blamed on a couple of mutations.

I'd like to see a few controlled studies to show that this is some ultra strain of the virus.

Reactions: 2 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
I'm still keeping my powder dry on this apparent increased transmissibility of the UK strain.

There are a lot of reasons why one genetic variant could represent a large proportion of infections, some evolutionary, some of them purely mathematical.

What's known is that it has a few important mutations to genes associated with binding and detection.

It also is highly represented in new cases.

What's suspected is that it is highly transmissible, and there is some evidence for this, but as far as I can see, only one non peer reviewed study by mathematicians that shows this.

Definitely worth taking the precaution, but I wonder whether there are other causes (societal) in the UK that are causing the increased transmission which are being blamed on a couple of mutations.

I'd like to see a few controlled studies to show that this is some ultra strain of the virus.
When it first came to light Professor Kelly said that the apparent higher transmissibility may have been exaggerated by the fact that in the UK it was cold so everyone was spending more time indoors and it was approaching Xmas so more people were mixing in shops, pubs etc.
He seems to have changed his tune since though.

Last edited:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I'm stunned that masks on planes weren't already compulsory.

As for the pre-flight test, the devil is in the detail and they need to make sure they do have a way of validating the tests and ensuring there is a clear and easy way for people to prove the tests.
I went upto QLD for Christmas, the flight out of Melbourne was with Qantas and it was Qantas rules that you had to wear masks on the flight.

Flew back with Virgin, "advice" was to wear one but there wasn't a direction that you had to.

I'm still amazed at the amount of people that wear masks but fail to wear them correctly, seriously its not that hard.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Awkward situation for Victorian authorities. Woman with the UK strain actually quarantined in Melbourne with the virus and was released after 10 days before flying to Brisbane.

The explanation kinda made sense but isn't going to sit well with everyone. Close contact - quarantine for 14 days. Actually test positive to the virus - quarantine for 10 days.

Brisbane might get lucky but maybe the protocols and/or testing need to be looked at.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Zero in Queensland today. Not sure it is as highly contagious as they are saying.

the longer this goes on, and the more I read, the more convinced I become we might as well have Rhys Stanley

as our last line of Covid defence?

The Guardian just now reporting a woman arrived from UK to Melbourne, tested positive to UK mutant Covid,

and somehow flies to Queensland 10 days later?

I know it wouldnt feel like it to any tigers who couldn't attend the 2020 premiership,

but I reckon so far, luck has made a significant contribution to preventing the *smile* really hitting the fan.

How does this unfathomable, random incompetence keep happening? Or is it hysterical incompetent inaccurate journalism?

do the authorities make up stories about quarantine workers being vectors, to cover incompetent human error?

and there we are, back to Rhys Stanley.

Last edited:

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
As you have too. You've been constantly spreading info that VIC *smile* up everytime. Any response to that with the current outbreak, or are you still Gladys is awesome but the VIC system is *smile*?

Yes, there was a major outbreak but credit should be given for having a much better system in place now to react to outbreaks.

The Vic system was *smile*. NSW have managed multiple outbreaks well. VIC have managed the recent outbreak well. The NSW team have *smile* up the quarantine and its hard to understand how they are still *smile* it up. But they have managed their *smile* ups without shutting down their state.

As an aside we are looking at putting on an admin person. We have a short list of 10 we have interviewed. Almost every one of them have had job loss or reduction of hours directly as a result of covid in VIC. I wonder if it is the same in NSW? Either their employer has shut down or let them go. NSW have been constant in their messaging and policy and relied on their ability to manage outbreaks. Perhaps they just got lucky. Lets hope the whole country continues to be lucky.

And lets hope we get a national strategy around hotel quarantine, its clear the risk surrounding it. Australia is in an enviable position, we get quarantine right and eliminate community transmission and we'll have a local tourism industry that will go gangbusters. The feds have dropped the ball as far as leadership on quarantine goes.