Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
have I got this right?

if you return from overseas without Covid, you do 14 days of quarantine in the CBD,

but if you return with Covid, you're out in Queens St, or Pitt St, or Swanson St. with your bags, in 10 days?

Is this real?

I was only joking about Rhys Stanley for CMO, but he could be a safer pair of hands?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
have I got this right?

if you return from overseas without Covid, you do 14 days of quarantine in the CBD,

but if you return with Covid, you're out in Queens St, or Pitt St, or Swanson St. with your bags, in 10 days?

Is this real?

I was only joking about Rhys Stanley for CMO, but he could be a safer pair of hands?
i think the point is once you have it and then dont have it you are safe.
if you test negative you could still then test positive anytime up until about 14 days after exposure.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
i think the point is once you have it and then dont have it you are safe.
if you test negative you could still then test positive anytime up until about 14 days after exposure.

.......... and in a massive reform to our quarantine,

positive cases have to test negative before hitting the most populous streets.

If I think of health officials as fishermen, Its quite easy to create a comical, but disturbing mental picture of their nets, and how they identify opportunities for continual improvement.

Ive maintained from the outset of this thing that 1. our leaders and systems have done a relatively very good job and 2. The lack of creativity on policy at all levels on almost all things Covid, has been spectacular.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
have I got this right?

Is this real?

14 days is the incubation period for COVID , the period after which we can be certain a person has not contracted he virus after exposure to it. The 10 days period is the time that is deemed for a person with COVID to be contagious after contracting it. They are different things

it was explained by the NSW CHO today as reported below in the Age

Why can COVID-19 cases be released from isolation after 10 days? A short explainer​

By Natassia Chrysanthos​

There has been some concern and confusion since this morning's revelationthat a positive COVID-19 case was released from isolation in Victoria after just 10 days, and without a negative test.
NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant has explained why that was the case. Essentially, a 14-day quarantine period applies to people who may have been exposed to the virus (such as close contacts or returned travellers) because that is the general incubation period for infection to reveal itself.
But when someone actually has COVID-19, a different isolation requirement sets in. The guidelines were established by the Communicable Diseases Network Australia, and they change depending on whether the person had a mild or serious case.
The returned traveller reported this morning, who first arrived in Victoria and travelled to Queensland, had a mild case of COVID-19. Dr Chant explained what rules applied and why:
"The guidelines require that you have 10 days in isolation after your [COVID-19] symptoms. So you flip from quarantining 14 days to [minimum 10 days] when you are a case.
"For mild cases you were able to be discharged if you were 10 days from your symptom onset and you had been free of symptoms for 72 hours before.
"The reason that was necessary is that we found cases where you can detect the virus in people's noses and throats, three months and even four months after the infection. What we're also observing is sometimes they may be negative at a certain point, but then you get a runny nose or something, and then if you get tested at that time, you can sometimes have the remnants of the virus come out.
"Because of that, you would have people permanently locked up. That's why the Communicable Disease Network looked at the evidence. That was that people are most infectious in that beginning bit, the pre-symptomatic time-frame."
That explains why some people can be released after 10 days so long as they have been free of symptoms for 72 hours. It also explains why a negative test was not required before cases left isolation and entered the community - a positive test at that later stage does not necessarily mean they are still infectious.
"Obviously there is a different set of criteria if you have been hospitalised, there are much more stringent guidelines," Dr Chant said. That different set of criteria also applies to people who were in intensive care or have had more intensive lung involvement.
Of course, these requirements have now shifted in light of the new mutant strains appearing overseas and arriving on Australian shores. "The Communicable Diseases Network Australia guidelines have been renewed and we will further discuss that situation today," Dr Chant said.
But in short: the minimum isolation period for positive mild cases has been lengthened to 14 days and a negative test will be required before people enter the community. Those who still test positive after their symptoms have passed will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
"In NSW we've now re-instituted PCR testing on all negatives, but we are also making sure that we have the timely genetic genome sequencing, so again that can inform the decision-making," Dr Chant said.
"If you are negative, you will be able to [leave isolation], but we will extend the period to 14 days, not 10 days, as a precaution. We will test you before you go out and if you're negative, we will let you go out.
"If you are positive, we have a case-by-case assessment with experts who will do things like [assess] whether you have antibodies in response, whether the PCR marker is showing whether you're infectious," she said.
Such measures will alter the way that mild COVID-19 cases, such as the woman who travelled to Queensland from Victoria, will be treated in the future.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
14 days is the incubation period for COVID , the period after which we can be certain a person has not contracted he virus after exposure to it. The 10 days period is the time that is deemed for a person with COVID to be contagious after contracting it. They are different things

it was explained by the NSW CHO today as reported below in the Age

Why can COVID-19 cases be released from isolation after 10 days? A short explainer​

By Natassia Chrysanthos​

There has been some concern and confusion since this morning's revelationthat a positive COVID-19 case was released from isolation in Victoria after just 10 days, and without a negative test.
NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant has explained why that was the case. Essentially, a 14-day quarantine period applies to people who may have been exposed to the virus (such as close contacts or returned travellers) because that is the general incubation period for infection to reveal itself.
But when someone actually has COVID-19, a different isolation requirement sets in. The guidelines were established by the Communicable Diseases Network Australia, and they change depending on whether the person had a mild or serious case.
The returned traveller reported this morning, who first arrived in Victoria and travelled to Queensland, had a mild case of COVID-19. Dr Chant explained what rules applied and why:
"The guidelines require that you have 10 days in isolation after your [COVID-19] symptoms. So you flip from quarantining 14 days to [minimum 10 days] when you are a case.
"For mild cases you were able to be discharged if you were 10 days from your symptom onset and you had been free of symptoms for 72 hours before.
"The reason that was necessary is that we found cases where you can detect the virus in people's noses and throats, three months and even four months after the infection. What we're also observing is sometimes they may be negative at a certain point, but then you get a runny nose or something, and then if you get tested at that time, you can sometimes have the remnants of the virus come out.
"Because of that, you would have people permanently locked up. That's why the Communicable Disease Network looked at the evidence. That was that people are most infectious in that beginning bit, the pre-symptomatic time-frame."
That explains why some people can be released after 10 days so long as they have been free of symptoms for 72 hours. It also explains why a negative test was not required before cases left isolation and entered the community - a positive test at that later stage does not necessarily mean they are still infectious.
"Obviously there is a different set of criteria if you have been hospitalised, there are much more stringent guidelines," Dr Chant said. That different set of criteria also applies to people who were in intensive care or have had more intensive lung involvement.
Of course, these requirements have now shifted in light of the new mutant strains appearing overseas and arriving on Australian shores. "The Communicable Diseases Network Australia guidelines have been renewed and we will further discuss that situation today," Dr Chant said.
But in short: the minimum isolation period for positive mild cases has been lengthened to 14 days and a negative test will be required before people enter the community. Those who still test positive after their symptoms have passed will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
"In NSW we've now re-instituted PCR testing on all negatives, but we are also making sure that we have the timely genetic genome sequencing, so again that can inform the decision-making," Dr Chant said.
"If you are negative, you will be able to [leave isolation], but we will extend the period to 14 days, not 10 days, as a precaution. We will test you before you go out and if you're negative, we will let you go out.
"If you are positive, we have a case-by-case assessment with experts who will do things like [assess] whether you have antibodies in response, whether the PCR marker is showing whether you're infectious," she said.
Such measures will alter the way that mild COVID-19 cases, such as the woman who travelled to Queensland from Victoria, will be treated in the future.

yeah thanks that all makes sense,

except the absence of an exit test for a positive case

until now.

what's the opposite of the precautionary principle again?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
yeah thanks that all makes sense,

except the absence of an exit test for a positive case

until now.

what's the opposite of the precautionary principle again?
Yes I wasn’t really commenting on whether the protocols are correct or not just what the difference between the 14 days and 10 days is.

I am not qualified to know what is the right or wrong time period except that I have heard it said that people can still show as positive for weeks and months post infection but actually not be contagious.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Yes I wasn’t really commenting on whether the protocols are correct or not just what the difference between the 14 days and 10 days is.

I am not qualified to know what is the right or wrong time period except that I have heard it said that people can still show as positive for weeks and months post infection but actually not be contagious.

yeah fair enough.

im losing my *smile* a bit. had my 3rd attempt to see my first born for the first time in a long time stymied at the 11th and a half hour.

Im making it about me, which it isnt.

I got to go to the GF. im being a sook.

I'll shut up o_O

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
yeah fair enough.

im losing my *smile* a bit. had my 3rd attempt to see my first born for the first time in a long time stymied at the 11th and a half hour.

Im making it about me, which it isnt.

I got to go to the GF. im being a sook.

I'll shut up o_O
The separation of families is a really hard part of all of this. So many of the people who have got caught in NSW were just seeing family.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Zero in Queensland today. Not sure it is as highly contagious as they are saying.
Good luck.
One in fifty people have Covid in England, and in parts of London it's one in twenty.

Coronavirus - BBC News - BBC.com

www.bbc.com › news › coronavirus

Get full coverage of the Coronavirus pandemic including the latest news, analysis ... The mayor says in some parts of London 1 in 20 people has Covid-19, as he ...
Sadiq Khan is a complete *smile* and will make anything about him. He has been the worst Mayor London has had in my 25 years here. He’s like a Tom Morris or Sam McClure but in the wrong job.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
So we ordered truckloads of the vaccine that's only 70% effective..when the others are 95% effective..riiight.

I think its highly likely that it will depend on your age group or risk status as to which vaccine you get. Those that are older and in high risk categories probably get the vastly more expensive Pfizer jab, the mass population (who are already lower risk) will get the cheaper vaccine. It makes a lot of sense to do it that way. Big difference between 2 shots at US$25 each to 2 shots at US$5 each.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
I think its highly likely that it will depend on your age group or risk status as to which vaccine you get. Those that are older and in high risk categories probably get the vastly more expensive Pfizer jab, the mass population (who are already lower risk) will get the cheaper vaccine. It makes a lot of sense to do it that way. Big difference between 2 shots at US$25 each to 2 shots at US$5 each.
Professor Kelly said: "People should be very wary about making decisions or suggestions about that particular vaccine as being less effective on the basis of interim data from one study.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
There’s also the matter of the Pfizer vaccine being produced offshore and the logistical challenges of having to be stored at below freezing temperatures, whereas the AstraZeneca vaccine will be produced here and doesn’t have the same storage requirements.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
There’s also the matter of the Pfizer vaccine being produced offshore and the logistical challenges of having to be stored at below freezing temperatures, whereas the AstraZeneca vaccine will be produced here and doesn’t have the same storage requirements.

Yep exactly, for example rural communities are unlikely to get the Pfizer vaccine. The only places to have that vaccine will be hospitals I would expect.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'll take it, no worries. I wouldn't take the Russian or Chinese one until there were more studies.