Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah, I suppose I don't think about the cost of going to work as I ride a bike, or the time as I don't get exercise unless I go out on the bike.

Although I have saved some money while working from home, our gas bill has been large and 10 years of accumulating a positive balance on the electricity account with solar has been half wiped out in 1 winter.

To be honest, it just works better being at the office.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yeah, I suppose I don't think about the cost of going to work as I ride a bike, or the time as I don't get exercise unless I go out on the bike.

Although I have saved some money while working from home, our gas bill has been large and 10 years of accumulating a positive balance on the electricity account with solar has been half wiped out in 1 winter.

To be honest, it just works better being at the office.

DS
The part that is the intangible is the team dynamic, the efficiency of being together, the social interaction and just the advantages of human connection both formal and informal.
Its something we have talked a lot about where I work, that there needs to be times when teams are physically together and that for some people coming to work is important for their well-being.
Our starting point is that you work in the office and we then discuss flexibility to work from home and hybrid type working arrangements rather than the opposite which is working from home as the default.

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Well yeah, but the employee also gets reduced travelling time, more time with family etc etc. But I agree - employers should fund the home office, laptop, internet costs etc.

Some of my mates are working from home & they tell that they're working longer hours than if they were traveling to the office to work.
They are in fact seeing less of their family than they would normally. Their home "running costs" have also increased, with no compensation from their employers.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Some of my mates are working from home & they tell that they're working longer hours than if they were traveling to the office to work.
They are in fact seeing less of their family than they would normally. Their home "running costs" have also increased, with no compensation from their employers.

Some good points here guys. I agree that teams need to be together physically at least some of the time for that bonding and putting stuff together that otherwise might not happen. Last year I found I started off doing longer hours as well - it helps if you have a separate office space at home to make that distinction between work and non-work clearer. With this job most of my colleagues are overseas in different timezones, so doing late night meetings is unavoidable for me, and I have to be disciplined about taking time off during the day to account for that.

My office reopens this week - as a new contractor there I have not met anyone physically yet, so I'm really looking forward to it. For me a hybrid arrangement is perfect, 2-3 days in the office and 2-3 days at home. The one permanent change I think will be is that employers will have to offer working from home as an option for many professionals, and you'll be competing for jobs with people who may not live in your city/region.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
They are in fact seeing less of their family than they would normally.
It's definitely a thing. Lines need to be drawn between work and non-work lest the two blur.

On average the laptop consumes about half as much power as a TV. Mine is running 24/7. For me the running costs are well worth the convenience and flexibility.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
For us it has been trying to keep the house warm in winter. Old house, around 1890, weatherboard but with insulated ceiling and walls. Still takes a fair bit to get this place warm in winter. When we are at work the house just stays cold during the daytime and we only heat the rooms we are using at night.

It really does add to the energy consumption.

DS

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
The losers will also be those who manage the public transport system because you won’t be catching a train to work and the oil companies because you won’t be using petrol to drive to work and Wilson parking because you won’t be parking your car.
Working from home has saved a lot of people a lot of money and will continue to do so.
Good employers will assist employees with equipment, and if all the savings don’t offset the costs at home will make sure they aren’t out of pocket and will use their OH&S team to help them have a safe home working environment.
Working from home can be a win win if handled right.
OHs going to set up a cam and monitor you to see if you are 'safe' at home? We have become a pathetic species, outsourcing personal responsibility wherever possible.
And if you get up on a ladder to clean your gutters during lunch break are you still under the loving care of your employer?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
OHs going to set up a cam and monitor you to see if you are 'safe' at home? We have become a pathetic species, outsourcing personal responsibility wherever possible.
And if you get up on a ladder to clean your gutters during lunch break are you still under the loving care of your employer?
The question of what is at work and what isn't when you are at home is one that needs to be sorted out for sure 22.

I agree that OH&S can get a bit precious and unrealistic but as long as they concentrate on things like the right desks, chairs, lighting etc and that is used to get people to use the right equipment then they can add value. In the end that comes back to the fact that workcover premiums have become a major cost for businesses and doing what you can to minimise claims is just good business even apart from the human factor

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
How is this allowed? Surely the public have the right to know what vaccine they're getting?!

Ridiculous. There’s a fair difference in timing between the first and second doses for the two vaccines, so not hard to work out which one you get.
All the doc has to tell you is when you should book in for your second shot - I think it’s 28 days for Pfizer, and 12 weeks for AstraZeneca

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
How is this allowed? Surely the public have the right to know what vaccine they're getting?!

hey ToO - reckon this is fake news - I am pretty sure you will know which vaccine you will receive - the issue is you can’t choose (for various reasons) and those administrating the vaccine (GPS etc) can’t advertise publicly which one they have (same as what happens now with the flu jab) but you certainly can ask and will be told.

Reactions: 1 users

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Medical practitioners are legally required to inform patients accurately of therapies.
Not any possibility this claim is correct.
And...the lunatic tweeter can't bring herself to spell vaccine correctly because it likely will give rise to life long PTSD.
Apologies to returned veterans.

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Actually....the one gem that has come from this covid pandemic is that it has exposed the lunatic anti scientific alternate dark age therapy followers.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
hey ToO - reckon this is fake news - I am pretty sure you will know which vaccine you will receive - the issue is you can’t choose (for various reasons) and those administrating the vaccine (GPS etc) can’t advertise publicly which one they have (same as what happens now with the flu jab) but you certainly can ask and will be told.
Apart from anything else if you get vaccinated at a GP or a pharmacy it will be astra Zeneca because they won’t have the -70c storage facilities.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Hope you're right. These vaccines have been pushed through pretty quickly. I want to know which one I'm getting in case there's a future problem.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Ridiculous. There’s a fair difference in timing between the first and second doses for the two vaccines, so not hard to work out which one you get.
All the doc has to tell you is when you should book in for your second shot - I think it’s 28 days for Pfizer, and 12 weeks for AstraZeneca
I had Pfizer and my 2nd jab is in 12 weeks time (11 now).

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Medical practitioners are legally required to inform patients accurately of therapies.
Not any possibility this claim is correct.
And...the lunatic tweeter can't bring herself to spell vaccine correctly because it likely will give rise to life long PTSD.
Apologies to returned veterans.
It seems to be a ban on advertising rather than an attempt to keep recipients in the dark. Source below.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...r/news-story/8bcf3dea974537050600d7f87eb8e13c

Last edited:

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne