Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
A female is 3 times more likely to get a blood clot from the "pill" or contraceptive needle than AZ.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Non poltical question if they are allowed on this thread now.

How does the AZ vaccine know how old you are? In other words why does the blood clot risk decrease in older people?
I don't know for certain (who does?) , but I imagine it's due to the more significant immune response in younger people.

There's still no casual link between the vaccine and blood clots.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
So when do we start getting more of the Pfizer vaccine then? This HAS to have an affect of pushing out the timeframe around vaccination.

My brother is getting married in the UK next Easter, if I can't get back because this government hasn't organised vaccine delivery in an adequate fashion, I'm going to be pissed off.
If I had to throw a guess at it.
Phase 1a and 1b will now not be finished until 2022 due to insufficient stock of alternatives and the Moderna or Novavax vaccine only becoming available (maybe) late this year
Phase 2b won't get going until sometime in 2022.
Phase 2a will proceed with the AZ vaccine but there'll be limted takeup due to people being concerned about the possibility of clots and quite possibly CSL will decide that given they don't need to make so many doses there's no money in it.
Australians are going to have difficulty travelling internationally for a very long time because we'll be one of the few western nations that haven't innoclulated the majority of our population.

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Our National roll-out is an unmitigated disaster. NSW have just suspended AZ for ALL people in the state in its state run clinics. Not just for under 50's.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
NSW is about to cancel AstrZeneca altogether i believe.
Didnt know states could do that.
Its getting ugly now!

Reactions: 1 user

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
NSW is suspending AZ vaccinations for over 50's for the day whilst they update the Informed Consent information.

"The state’s health department said in a statement on Friday it had temporarily put AstraZeneca vaccinations on hold in order to update “informed consent information” given to recipients ahead of their jabs.

For those aged over 50, the pause will only last for a few hours before jabs become available again."

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Our National roll-out is an unmitigated disaster. NSW have just suspended AZ for ALL people in the state in its state run clinics. Not just for under 50's.

Over 50's will be able to get the jab within a few hours after the Consent documention is updated

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Another announcement by Scotty from Marketing - We've secured another 20million doses of Pfizer in the final quarter of the year.

Hopefully this time when he says they've "secured" 20 million doses, he actually means its guaranteed rather than another flimsy statement of intention to buy.

Hard to believe anything that comes out of Scumo's mouth really. I'll believe it when i see it.

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
Australians are going to have difficulty travelling internationally for a very long time because we'll be one of the few western nations that haven't innoclulated the majority of our population.

One possible way to deal with that scenario may be to require those wanting to travel, to undergo testing and produce a negative result within 72 hours of departure from Australia. The same could be done when returning back home again.
Of course that would require destination countries agreeing to this also.

Last edited:

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
One possible way to deal with that scenario may be to require those wanting to travel to undergo testing and produce a negative result within 72 hours of departure from Australia. The same could be done when returning back home again.
Will also require airlines to agree to transport unvaccinated people when full planeloads are allowed again

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
Will also require airlines to agree to transport unvaccinated people when full planeloads are allowed again

Carriers for whom the Australian market is high yield would likely embrace the idea of pre-travel testing.
Qantas' International operations is an obvious example. Air NZ and Singapore Airlines are others who I think would participate.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I don't know for certain (who does?) , but I imagine it's due to the more significant immune response in younger people.

There's still no casual link between the vaccine and blood clots.
Part of it also is the relationship between risk from the AZ vaccine and the risk of getting really sick from COVID. The older you are the more the relative risk of a blood clot versus the risk from COVID reduces.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
not sure about the steady, but if slow wins the race then Australia wins "Gold, gold gold".
Plenty of people were hesitant about rushing into a brand new vaccine and the suspicions have been justified, to a degree. We could've had millions in limbo regarding a second jab, plus a few casualties...

Now they can pause and properly review the data.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
One possible way to deal with that scenario may be to require those wanting to travel, to undergo testing and produce a negative result within 72 hours of departure from Australia. The same could be done when returning back home again.
Laws should put the onus on the traveller not to bring it in.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Another announcement by Scotty from Marketing - We've secured another 20million doses of Pfizer in the final quarter of the year.

Hopefully this time when he says they've "secured" 20 million doses, he actually means its guaranteed rather than another flimsy statement of intention to buy.

Hard to believe anything that comes out of Scumo's mouth really. I'll believe it when i see it.
It will be interesting to see how they are planning to handle the storage requirements at very low temperatures of Pfizer for mass vaccinations. One of the reasons why it's been mainly hospitals who have stored this vaccine is that they have the capability

Hopefully they have thought that through?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It will be interesting to see how they are planning to handle the storage requirements at very low temperatures of Pfizer for mass vaccinations. One of the reasons why it's been mainly hospitals who have stored this vaccine is that they have the capability

Hopefully they have thought that through?
They have relaxed the refrigeration requirements.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell